Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend a decent analogue gamepad for the pc?

Options
  • 25-07-2006 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

Bought a fairly crap one in Game where the axes are too short i.e. Windows registers it as being at the extreme way before the stick hits the edge of the controller, so everything is way too sensitive. I have tried calibrating it etc.
    and uninstalling the driver but it's just bad design I think.

So is there a pad out there that's regarded as decent?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ps2 pad and this

Game have one for a tenner as the one above sold out.

But best pad for PC imo.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yep, its what I use for racing games, beat-em-ups ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

The old sidewinders are fantastic pads, you might be able to pick one up somewhere, big and clunky but very sturdy and unbelievably uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

You could buy the wired 360 controller if you planned on buying an Xbox 360 in the future, it works excellently with PC games and some of the new games released (Tomb Raider Legend being an example) recognise the 360 pad and configures it for you... pricey though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

The old sidewinders are fantastic pads, you might be able to pick one up somewhere, big and clunky but very sturdy and unbelievably uncomfortable.
    Seconded... have a peep at different models, i know theres one thats quite comfortable and retains the other models positive attributes.

That or the PS2 adapter idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

KdjaC wrote:
    Ps2 pad and this

Game have one for a tenner as the one above sold out.

But best pad for PC imo.

kdjac
    Second the bove for one main reason: I started playing Tony Hawks with the PS1, and could never play with a PC joypad.

Also, as an added bonus, some emulators can see it. Had a great laugh playing Mario on my PC (outputted to my TV) with a PS2 joypad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Laguna wrote:
    You could buy the wired 360 controller if you planned on buying an Xbox 360 in the future, it works excellently with PC games and some of the new games released (Tomb Raider Legend being an example) recognise the 360 pad and configures it for you... pricey though

Seconded, only "proper" way to do it!

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Dermington

The wired xbox 360 controller comes with a driver disk for windows like all microsoft hardware does.

I find its awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

360 gamepad.

or Logitech do some solid analogue stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Dermington wrote:
    The wired xbox 360 controller comes with a driver disk for windows like all microsoft hardware does.

I find its awesome.
    Mine didn't, I had to go to the Microsoft hardware website to download the driver file myself..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

You can get a ps2 to pc unit,for ps2 controller about ten euro,s , i presume it works on pc games like nfsu that are designed to be played on mouse,or joypad.I never tried it myself, i find the tevlion pad from aldi very good,it seems to be on sale every 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

PS2 + Play.com thingy.......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Play using only your toes and a numpad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

SyxPak wrote:
    Play using only your toes and a numpad.
    you can't GET any more analogue than that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

you can't GET any more analogue than that

I'd have thought that was DIGITal:eek: :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I got the wireless logitech rumblepad 2. Admittedly it seems to be made for either the hands of a woman or a 16 year old boy. But its designed so ergonomically you wouldn't even notice. My hands never cramp even if i've been using it for more than a few hours (not like my GBA:SP, pins and needles after 20mins). I initially got it because there is no way to fly the planes in GTA:SA on the PC without an analogue controller, its either full bank left or none at all.

But since i've gotten it there have been loads of other games where it was needed, like Tomb Raider, PoP, NFS:MW, any car game, onimusha and all the old emulator games, etc.

My wifes a console user, whereas I am strictly computer. The control pad is the middle ground, as I can hook up the PC to the TV and Monitor, and play 2 player bomberman for the snes with her using the TV and controller and myself using the keyboard and monitor. Few friends over, classic games, thats a good night in.

Advertisement