Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget 6-8k, engine 1.6, mission find me a car

Options
  • 25-07-2006 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

I'm 22 turning 23 and have a few years named driver experience so my insurance seems to be grand for a 1.6

I want to stend between six and eight thousand, although the lower the better, on a car. There are the usual suspects, focus, golf, octavia, leon, corolla etc to consider in a 1.4.

However, I think that if i move up a class from focus/golf territory to mondeo, passat, primera and vectra land I'll get more car for my money. It seems to be that there are many 1.6 cars around with about 50k on the clock and I'm thnking of getting one of these because they'll be slightly roomier, and seem to have a better spec.

I posted here a few weeks ago saying i was thinking of a vectra and was warned off owing to watercooler pumps driven by engine belts failing regularly and aircon issues too but I do think the vectra is a handsome car.

Does anyone have any personal experience of the mondeo,good bad or indifferent in terms of reliability?

Another i am considering is a primera. These seem to be plentiful and there does seem to be a decent choice with fairly good spec.

I am looking for reliability first, as after buying the car i don't want to get hit with expensive servicing or expensive faults to repair.

After that then spec is important.

Also, anybody who has owned a toledo, primera, mondeo, vectra please feel free to comment on mpg you got back and anything at all that went wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Another i am considering is a primera. These seem to be plentiful and there does seem to be a decent choice with fairly good spec.

I am looking for reliability first, as after buying the car i don't want to get hit with expensive servicing or expensive faults to repair.
    The Primera is probably the best option - you'll get much better value for money because for some reason nobody wants them. The resale value is terrible - so you should get one cheap. We had 2003 Primera Autos for sale in work last year for €8,000 with about 30k on the clocks. They took so long to sell. (being auto didn't help matters).

As your buying 2nd hand then the previous owner has taken the depreciation hit, hopefully. Petrols are very reliable, but there is an issue with turbochargers in the diesel versions and, afaik, there is no solution yet except replacing the turbo with a similar unit that will probably give the same trouble. I've a Primera TD that is now on its 3rd turbo:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

the octavia is a great car too. the same car as the passat just cheeper. we've had about 6 of them in my family and they were all trouble free. we had the 1.9TD version though so not sure what the 1.6 petrol is like.

the octavia is a great car too. the same car as the passat just cheeper.
    Sort of - but not really. The Octavia is based on the Golf chassis, so the Octavia is more like an oversized VW Bora.

But they are very reliable and should be on your list - but as confidence continues to grow in the Skoda brand, resale values are getting better and better.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Buy a 1.6 Focus Zetec.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Bit below your budget but just bought a 99 primera for €4000, 89K, 1.6 loaded with extras and lovely to drive.

Try www.cbg.ie and www.carzone.ie maybe.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭qazz

Try Laguna I. http://carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=439614
    I have one from 98 with 69k on the clock. It's very comfortable and dynamic. Petrol consumption is low too. It's about 8 litres/ 100km. Boot is big. you can't get in in focus. I have her since march, I'm driving a lot and there is no problem with anything. Just like all cars - make sure tbelt is ok, oil, etc...
    And you can get 98 instead of 00 for about 3k.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd go with a 1.6 Focus. (hatchback obviously!)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yeah id concur with focus, a car like a passat with a 1.6 engine is silly, ireland is one of the few countries with a market

get a good spec tho, dont settle there should be loads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I'm considering selling my Seat Leon 1.6 (16v), in getting an early service today actually.

carzone.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=328375

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Newcarneeded

Thanks for the replies.

I want to get the lowest mileage newest car for the money. Audi A4 seems good but with 90k on the clock i'd be worried about minor things going which would require trips to a dealer. Currently insured on a VW Golf which is serviced by a main VW dealer and their prices are astonishing.

Audi presumably would be more expensive.

As regards a Renault, not sure on French reliability. May well be majestice for eighty minutes and then stitch you with a headbutt to the chest, just for a few insulting words.

I like Vectras have to say. Dad had one before, 99, CD spec ex demo and it was very nice. I like the shape and they are available with good spec. Only thing is i've had posters on this site say that they are troublesome. Belts running water pumps in the engine prone to snapping.

Anyone any comments on the Vectra?

The Primera seems to have nothing but good praise from owners. Granted, it's a dull shape, but seemingly a decent drive with good specced models available. Fits nicely into my budget too.

Seat Leon, nice car, love the shape. But at 8k for a 01, iI know i could get a 01/02 Primera with less mileage for about 1500 less. Same applies to a Focus. Great cars I'd like to own but they're dearer for the same age and mileage. Which is what attracted me up into Vectra/Primera land.

Slightly larger car, similar engine, broadly similar running costs, higher spec for less money.

So any other advice on Vectra, Primera, Mondeo???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

In a 1.6 all are significantly underpowered.

That size of engine best suits a slightly smaller lighter car.

Mondeo's (since 2000) are all 1.8 and the LX is 110 bhp. Detuned and a poor performer tbh. The Zetec 1.8 has 125 bhp and is very noiceably livelier.

Vectras are a poor car. Residuals prove that.

Primeras are better but still not hectic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I've a Primera GT. The thing to watch on primeras is the control arm bushings. Seem to need changing on a regular basis. And you need to change the whole arm when you do it. Seems to be a common problem on them all.

Oh and Nissan dealers are rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Have you considered an old model Renault Megane saloon with the 1.4 16v engine
    -quite reliable, possibly more so than a same year Laguna.
    -fairly spacious for passengers and huge boot (bigger than most cars in Mondeo class)
    -very good comfort and spec. Go for an RXi or Dynamique model
    -much livelier engine than a 1.4 Focus or Golf. Also very good economy from this engine, I can get >50 mpg average without even trying to drive economically

Downsides: good spec means there can be a lot to go wrong. Timing belt replacement on this engine is probably more expensive than average for the class. Ignition coils fail quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I think a Mondeo is a good alrounder. Decent drive, not expensive to fix, not overpriced and a good few around.

BrianD3 wrote:
    Have you considered an old model Renault Megane saloon..

Ah come off it. They are rubbish. A Renault or any other French car will be as reliable as a drunk in a vat of cider.

Laguna II is so unrleiable - but the Laguna I is not so bad, imo. Cheap as dirt too..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Newcarneeded

What sort of economy could i expect from a 1.8 mondeo or primera?

I would like a zetec focus but they're a lot dearer for the same age spec level as certainly a primera, a mondeo seems to be more expensive.

Insurance jumps 300euro from a 1.6 to a 1.8 Plus tax is what, about 500 as opposed to 350/400 on a 1.6???

So the extra cost is about 400euro for tax and insurance before i put a drop in the tank.

What sort of economy do you think i'd get then? First car of my own so don't want it to be drinking juice. As no one really wants these size cars when they get to this age i'll pretty much be stuck with it or have to discount heavily to sell

Depends almost totally on where and how you drive.

Think 30 - 35 mpg in real life mixed driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Have a Mondeo, will get another one, no question. Not the most fuel efficient (and I'm only driving the 1.6). I would not consider it underpowered at all (Its a Mark 2 obviously). When I was buying it, similar priced focuses were a year older with higher milage and no nice extras like aircon, 4 wheel disc ABS, alloys, spoiler etc. It is soo comfortable and a absolute please to drive. Drove similar cars like the Passat, nowhere near as nice. Over two years I put up plenty of miles and its only need the annual service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Seat Leon 1.6:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=346039

The Leon is based on the VW Golf but represents better value and has more standard kit. Prettier than a Golf imo. Also available in 1.4 litre.

Toyota Avensis 1.6:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=471752

The Avensis back then had a lean burn engine which while not the most powerful it was very economical. High mileage is no problem with these cars and the above one even has a years NCT, alloy wheels and air conditioning. 88k miles is not alot on a 7 year old car.

Ford Mondeo 1.6:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=423999

If 1.6 is your limit then the pre 2001 Ford Mondeo is another choice. Most at that time come with alloy wheels and air conditioning.

Ford Focus 1.6:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=436416

The Focus is more modern than the above Mondeo and the saloon is just as roomy, not as pretty as the hatchback but is cheaper to buy. The 1.4 litre Focus is slugish so a 1.6 is better suited. Try and find a hatchback.

Skoda Octavia 1.6:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=474019
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=437983

Again like the Leon this is based on the Golf but alot cheaper, roomier and better equipped. Alot of car for the money. Avoid the basic model though.

Nissan Primera 1.6:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=470519

The Primera probably represents the best value for this size car. They depreciate like a stone but the previous owners will have taken most of the hit by now. Will not set the world on fire in 1.6 litre but they are well built, have lots of standard features such as cd changer, sunroof, etc. This will probably be the newest car you will get for your budget. Try and get one from a garage as the trade hate them, they usually try and sell them cheaper to move them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Ah come off it. They are rubbish. A Renault or any other French car will be as reliable as a drunk in a vat of cider.
    And I suppose this opinion is based on years of owning French cars? :rolleyes:

So what would you recommed instead of a Renault, wouldn't be a FORD by any chance? It's quite laughable how biased posters in this forum are.

I'd be happy to recommend a Skoda, Seat, VW, Audi, BMW, Opel, Nissan, Toyota, Subaru, or even a Ford. Perhaps others too.

Everyone of them will be more reliable than a Renault or Peugeot. Dodgy electrics and **** build quality come as standard on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭breanoh

Fix Or Repair Daily. never had any meas in the FORDs, or Opels for that matter. my family has never been without a Renault on the drive, and we have also had a few Peugeots and NEVER had trouble, I drive a 20 year old Renault which has given hassle free driving, so don't diss the Renault!

J.D Power's 2004 survey would disagree.

http://www.whatcar.com/news-special-report.aspx?NA=207800&EL=3060983

The worst rated 3 cars in thi segment are all French. The Laguna is last and has it own sub class.

In fact out of 120 cars rated Scenic was 67th, Megane 77th, Clio 91st, Pug 306 92nd, Pug 406 94th, Pug 206 95th, Laguna 110th, Pug 307 118th, and Espace 119th.

I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭breanoh

That is 2004, since Renault went all high tec nuts! The older Renaults are the best cars on the road, I wouldn't touch any of the keycard renaults. Just a word of warning on the Avensis, don't touch the MK1 vvti, they have gone through engines like a fat chick goes through chocolate bars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

J.D Power's 2004 survey would disagree.

http://www.whatcar.com/news-special-report.aspx?NA=207800&EL=3060983

The worst rated 3 cars in thi segment are all French. The Laguna is last and has it own sub class.

In fact out of 120 cars rated Scenic was 67th, Megane 77th, Clio 91st, Pug 306 92nd, Pug 406 94th, Pug 206 95th, Laguna 110th, Pug 307 118th, and Espace 119th.

I rest my case.

So why does the megane have the same rating as lots of makes you've listed (Seat, VW, Audi, Opel, Nissan, Subaru)

http://www.whatcar.com/news-special-report.aspx?NA=207800&EL=3060978
    ??

Plus this survey is not of the same vintage as the year of car that the OP is looking - its for cars max 1 year old from 2004.

2004 survey is entirely relevant.

OP didn't mention year of manufacture anywhere, only his budget.

French cars are amongst the poorest built and most unrelaible available. Bottom line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

2004 survey is entirely relevant.

OP didn't mention year of manufacture anywhere, only his budget.

French cars are amongst the poorest built and most unrelaible available. Bottom line.

OP is not going to get a 1.6 2004 for 8k unless it comes with a free telephone pole thru the windscreen if you know what I mean.

bottom line is that the OP will have to make a trade off between percived reliability, car condition, milage (always very subjective in my opinion), safety, badge and creature comforts.

IMO renaults are very well equiped cars, good safety, fair reliability and pretty cheap compared to the competition.

Advertisement