Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italian Appeals

• 25-07-2006 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Lazio and Fiorentina have been reinstated to Serie A after appealing against their match-fixing punishments.

Fiorentina had been demoted to Serie B with a 12-point deduction. Lazio were relegated with a seven-point penalty.

Now both will play in the top division, but with a 19-point deduction for Fiorentina and 11 points for Lazio.

Juventus still have to play in Serie B, but on minus 17 points not minus 30. AC Milan stay in Serie A with their penalty cut from 15 points to eight.

The original punishments were handed out to the disgraced clubs by a Rome tribunal just five days after Italy won the World Cup.

The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) heard the appeals against those punishments on Tuesday.

All four clubs implicated have denied the accusations.

Absolute bull****

Juve will be back up within the year, Milan will definally have CL football, and probably will win the league.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

And Milan can enter Champions League!!!!!

Absolute joke and only makes the stink of corruption in Italian football worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Berlisconi must be laughing his arse off. Italian football is rotten to the core.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

what a pile of poo

They should be banned from europe for 2 - 3 years that would teach them.

Can FIFA step in or is that final now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Well done Milan no Gattuso or Pirlo for United by the sounds of things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

UEFA must have known what was coming too. Why else would they grant the Italian FA another day to submit their teams for european competitions. They should have made them nominate their teams like everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Shocking. What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bazzman

stupid wats goin on over there, fifa should really step in and sort out the whole thing.

on another note, has any1 got a web site wit all this summers transfers, including italy, spain and germany?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

tdv wrote:
    Well done Milan no Gattuso or Pirlo for United by the sounds of things

:rolleyes:

Even at -15 they still wouldnt of went to united.

Gutted. The odds on Milan to win Seire A at -15 would of been excellent, now they will be terrible.

AT A GLANCE

Juventus:

Were relegated with 30 point penalty; now still in Serie B but with 17-point deduction. Given three match stadium ban

AC Milan:
    Were allowed to stay in Serie A but with 15-point penalty; now still in Serie A but with eight point deduction and put back into Champions League, but with one-match stadium ban

Lazio:
    Were relegated with seven-point penalty; now put back in Serie A with 11-point deduction, but given two-match stadium ban

Fiorentina:
    Were relegated with 12-point penalty; now put back in Serie A with 19-point deduction, but with three-match stadium ban

stadium bans - wtf

who cares punish them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Roll in the new arivals to Milanello :)

Lads, guard your best players, Milan have a champions league campainge to contend and they intent to challenge for it.

God I'm happy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Seaneh wrote:
    God I'm happy!

That your club cheated and got away with it :confused:

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    That your club cheated and got away with it :confused:

kdjac

I don't care what Gilanni did or didn't do.
    The players were not involved. Every match they played they gave 100%, tried thier best to win and no matter what anyone says nobody can take thier efforts away from them by saying "your official was dodgy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

CORRUPT CORRUPT CORRUPT!!!!

FIFA should do the right thing for football by giving the Italian Football Federation a taste of relegation from International football for 4 years! (it's FIFA afterall, they don't care about clean football so that won't happen)

Simple really, the FIGC know that without those clubs Serie A is going to go further down the dumps and after World Cup success it would be logically insane for them to let it happen. I'm not surprised one bit, how can you be? This is Italian football, we all know what it's like, it's just a small fabric of a corrupt society where there is little morals. I hope Serie A and Italian football rots to the core with it's disgusting corruption of our loved game.

P.S. I hope we'll all be boycotting watching Serie A on Bravo, Setanta or whatnot from now on. La Liga FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'm only really starting to watch Italian football again since Setanta/Bravo got the rights so I'm happy with this. As I said a hundred times, relegating the clubs will do very little to stop this. Jailing to offenders will.

Milan wont win europe, maybe italy but europe is to much for them

With chelsea, liverpool, arsenal , madrid all getting stronger and with milan with no striker, its gonna be hard - and dont say "gilardinho" he is tripe

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'm only really starting to watch Italian football again since Setanta/Bravo got the rights so I'm happy with this. As I said a hundred times, relegating the clubs will do very little to stop this. Jailing to offenders will.

Exactly.

Relegating the clubs instead of punishing the officials who were involved would only be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Why should fans and players be punished because of Idiots like Moggi and Gilianni?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

It stinks. Joke of a decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

eirebhoy wrote:

How on earth can you that?

All four clubs have still be found guilty. They've got the equivalent of getting 10 hours community service for 1st degree murder. Italian football has condoned cheating no matter which way you choose to put the blinkers on. Relegation sends a message to all football clubs that this is not tolerated. Until football associations act tough corruption on our game will continue in the foreseeable future. Cheating is cheating and if you think not punishing clubs for this then..... I won't say any more or I'll get banned

How on earth can you that?

All four clubs have still be found guilty. They've got the equivalent of getting 10 hours community service for 1st degree murder. Italian football has condoned cheating no matter which way you choose to put the blinkers on. Relegation sends a message to all football clubs that this is not tolerated. Until football associations act tough corruption on our game will continue in the foreseeable future. Cheating is cheating and if you think not punishing clubs for this then..... I won't say any more or I'll get banned
    There was a select few people involved in this ref selection thing. I don't have a clue why they did it as I'm sure the league would have still been pretty much the same if they hadn't tried to fix these games. Moggi who was apparantly the worst offender gets a €5k fine and a 5 year ban from football. Do you think he really cares that Juve got their points reduction reduced? If Moggi was locked up for 5 years it would do an awful lot more to stop this type of thing in Italy as he pretty much got off scot free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

i have to say, im pretty annoyed by this. im an inter fan, but its not the teams not getting relegated that annoys me most(i expected them to get off), its that they have the cheek to relegate juve but nobody else. fiorentina and lazio were both of found guilty breaking article 6(i think thats it) which should carry an automatic relegation. now how can they find them guilty off the same thing they relegated juve for(i know they also got found guilty of breaking article 1 but thats not what got them relegated) and not send them down too. juve should fight it until they get off too or everybody gets a fair punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

The Viola are back baby! This is the best news i've heard football wise all summer.

The points are going to be very hard to make up but it gives us a chance and doesn't immedietly destroy the team. No champs league though. Pity cos we deserverd it last year.

Fiorentina need to get abot 60 points to survive a reckon, maybe less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

How can anyone have any interest in this totally corrupt league anymore?

What a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

What's the point of appeals? I mean, shouldn't the initial decision stand? Why are verdicts allowed to be contested in such a way that the initial verdict is rendered (pretty much) void?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Eirebhoy, thats a ridiculous attitude. Italian football has been embroiled in corruption and alleged corruption for years. There was a big scandal before the 82 wc. This is not an isolated incident and punishing the clubs is the only way.

By your reasoning Liverpool and especiall other english clubs should not have been banned from europe as a result of action by the fans. The fans should have been jailed and the matter dropped.

This has just highlighted that italian football is corrupt from the top down and is willing to bend/change/ignore laws and rules to meet its own ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bloody hell! They really are bent corrupt nation.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The revised punishments are probably what the FIGC wanted to hand down in the first place, but they knew they had to appear to be tough with the clubs. They also knew an appeal would drastically reduce the punishments. They're are corrupt as the clubs, IMO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

dor83 wrote:
    i'm an inter fan,

Me too and I've been to a few games. Every time I'm there all the Inter fans talk about is how Juve & AC have the refs in their pockets. While this is just an unproven folklore all you have to look back on last season and see some of the dodgy decisions that were made in favour of these teams. Corruption is all over the place in Italian society.

I personally think each team should have been relegated and banned from Europe for 10 years. If that doesn’t put off other clubs nothing will.

All in all it’s a ****ing disgrace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

zaph wrote:
    The revised punishments are probably what the FIGC wanted to hand down in the first place, but they knew they had to appear to be tough with the clubs. They also knew an appeal would drastically reduce the punishments. They're are corrupt as the clubs, IMO.

Yeah but when the initial punishments were leeked before being announced the general consensus was that they had been quite leniant.
    Most people expected Juve to be relegated to Serie C.

Also isnt quite distasteful now,that the world cup resides in the most corrupt footballing nation in Europe.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

What an absolute crock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

mike65 wrote:
    Bloody hell! They really are bent corrupt nation.

Mike.

Oh ya , and if people think it's bad how corrupt their football is then you'd hate to see how corrupt boxing is there .

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I read an interesting article in When Saturday Comes a few months ago about when Hellas Verona won Serie A in 1984-85. This was apparently the last time a club outside of one of the big four cities (Rome, Milan, Turin, Naples) won Serie A. Interestingly the article, which was published in early May - before the news of the scandal broke, points out that this was one of the very few seasons in recent memory when referees were allocated to matches by a random draw, rather than being appointed by the technical committee. Not that this should come as a great surprise to anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Seaneh wrote:
    Exactly.

Relegating the clubs instead of punishing the officials who were involved would only be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Why should fans and players be punished because of Idiots like Moggi and Gilianni?

I second that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

tdv wrote:
    I second that

The clubs benefited from the corruption, its not as if it was about bungs for transfers going into agents/managers pockets.

The clubs employed these people, the individuals were acting for their clubs when they attempted to influence refereeing appointments etc. Don't get me wrong, the individuals should all face criminal charges and be punished to the full extent of the law, but the clubs are not innocent in this.

Italian football is stinking with corruption, lessons have not been learned fromprevious controversies (the betting scandal in the 80s, Genoa's recent relegation to Serie C for match fixing, the cover up of Maradona's drug use @ Napoli), IMO this appeal verdict means we'll see more of this in the future.

I love Italian football, and I'm a Juve fan,but I'm sickened by this verdict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

I think its a disgrace and ultimitely bad for football.
    Can FIFA intervene and not allow AC play CL this year??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Interesting thing to note is that uefa have not decided if AC Milan will be seeded for the draw on friday - a chance they could be drawn against and knock out an english club :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

The Viola are back baby! No champs league though. Pity cos we deserverd it last year.

You deserved champions league football for cheating? how does that work?

Shocking decision. The appeals should still have left Fiorentina and Lazio in Seris B as the Italian FA's rules clearly state is the punishment for what they done!

I'm appauled that they let the teams stay up. Sure the fans and the players don't deserve it, but the rules are the rules, oh wait that doesn't seem to apply in Italy! :rolleyes:

The offending individuals should also go to prison for fraud and perhaps Grand Larceny as they were effectivly stealing the prize money from the Italian FA by cheating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Interesting thing to note is that uefa have not decided if AC Milan will be seeded for the draw on friday - a chance they could be drawn against and knock out an english club :eek:

Or a Spanish one or German one, or maybe even an Italian one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

This ain't over yet Juventus say they will take this as far and as high as they can. The officials involved I thought got away lightly Moggi getting a five year ban from football is a joke it means he can come back and get involved in time for the 2011 season, him and the rest of the culprits should have got jail and the clubs should still be banned as they knew what was going on end of story. In Tim Parks book "A season with Verona" he mentioned a website dedicated to dubious decisions for Juventus the book was written in 2001 and the website is supposed to be way worse than this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq1E2GLsU0o&search=Juve%20cheat

Players diving probably has more of an impact on games than what these clubs were charged with. Both forms of cheating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

eirebhoy wrote:
    Players diving probably has more of an impact on games than what these clubs were charged with. Both forms of cheating.

Exactly while the actions of the directors are a disgrace you would think the way some people go on every reff and player in the league was bribed by these clubs. Eery country has reffs who are favorable to certin clubs and big clubs in every country enjoy an advantage over small clubs.
    In a premiership season a few years back an independant commitie of refs analysed all united games for the seaosn paying particular attention to 50-50 decisions it turned out over the course of the season Man Utd got 83% deisions in thier favour, United werent asked to hand back thier title a number of decisions in the seire a games where Milan/Juve/Viola/Lazio were given that may be put down to "match fixing" was probably due to big team bias that while regretable is present in every league in the world.
    Having "Favored refs" in charge of the games may have resulted in the odd extra 50-50 decision going a clubs way but I would say it made a 5 point difference at most while this amount can be signifigant for titles,CL, places relegation etc the idea that the entire performance of these clubs is Invalid is crap.
    Milan and Juventus would have finised way aboe inter no matter what last season they were both far superior teams Fiorintina have done a great job comming back form the brink with only modest spending and Lazio preformed well given thier difficultys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

UEFA are to have an emergency meeting to to decide if thy will let Ac milan into the CL.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

eirebhoy wrote:

people diving prob also had a bigger impact on league games last season if the officials had been influenced towards these clubs and thus gave more dodgy calls.

btw has ibrahimavich gone anywhere ? ive heard no news at all about him,maybe as a result of his poor WC his profile is lower now or something i dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

people diving prob also had a bigger impact on league games last season if the officials had been influenced towards these clubs and thus gave more dodgy calls.

btw has ibrahimavich gone anywhere ? ive heard no news at all about him,maybe as a result of his poor WC his profile is lower now or something i dunno.

He has said he would be happy to stay at Juventus
    providing he gets a signifigant wage rise

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

wouldent be surprised if milan without schever didnt show an interest now, if they can offer Champions league football (uefa pending)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

evilhomer wrote:
    You deserved champions league football for cheating? how does that work?

Listen, i saw the games last season and i wouldn't say the referees favoured us. By your reckoning Luca Toni should be stripped of his goal scoring record so?

I am a fan of Fiorentina, and i will defend my club. I think we deserved champions league football because we played well throughout the season. You may not agree, but i'd like to see how you would react if it happened to your club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

no club who cheats, or whos officials cheat on their behalf, deserve to be in europe. i'd say the same if it was inter, as i did when they got off with only playing games behind closed doors after the CL QF with milan, they should have been banned from european football for at least 2-3 seasons for it. but my arguement is that juve do not deserve to be made scape goats for this, lazio and fiorentina should be relegated too(as should any other club who are found guilty of breach of article 6).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

nipplenuts wrote:
    Or a Spanish one or German one, or maybe even an Italian one :rolleyes:

Yeah but i dont think that would have the same effect as beating an english team. I know i didnt indicate it - but i meant as in the media backlash that would ensue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Inter have just been awarded last seasons Scudetto. Expect the formal announcement in the next few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

nipplenuts wrote:
    Inter have just been awarded last seasons Scudetto. Expect the formal announcement in the next few minutes.

well it was their only way they were gonna win it! AC will win the league next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

well it was their only way they were gonna win it! AC will win the league next year

and if they dont the italian fa will probably just change the rules so that they do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement