Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

a couple of test questions...

Options
  • 25-07-2006 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

i wouldnt imagine these could fail you but i don't know so better safe than sorry:

1. if you approach a 'stop' sign but there is good visibility and there absolutely nothing coming, do you have to stop? obviously hit the brakes a bit to acknowledge it but do you have to stop completely?

2. are you supposed to handbrake and neutral when stopped at lights or can you simply clutch and brake?

3. say you're turning out onto a road, can you ease your way out before an oncoming car passes (obviously if there is nothing after that car).

4. how many times can you stall without failing?

5. all you have to do is hill-start, 3 point turn and reverse around a corner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

1) Yes, stop.
    2) That's what I was told anyways, handbrake and neutral. Did me no harm - not that I use it now.
    3) Its all about space and safety. If its safe to do so, pull out. If not wait. Dawdling will get you points for failure to proceed.
    4) Depends where you stall and how you recover I guess?
    5) And drive for about 20 minutes total time, showing a good awareness of the rules of the road and good driving ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

1. Stop means 'STOP'

2. Yep - I think the handbrake needs to be applied.

3. Maybe - but I'd play it safe and stay stopped - start your manouever and see it through.

4. Depends on the instructor, I reckon.

5. Yes, and the driving and some hand signals.

Its ages since I did the test but as this is Ireland I don't reckon too much has changed. Others who have done the test more recently may have more accurate and up to date information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

cheers lads, suppose im basically asking what bad habits can i get away with :D

although i've yet to do it and yet to pass, it all seems too easy :cool:

it should be harder - reverse parking on busy streets, driving in 5th gear.... knowing how to change a tyre etc...

i laugh at people who have a full license and can't change a tyre :p it's scary the amount of people particularly women who can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

smemon wrote:

i laugh at people who have a full license and can't change a tyre :p it's scary the amount of people particularly women who can't.

Is this tested nowadays????? If it is WOW. Changing a wheel is part of driving so should be tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

a) You must stop at all stop signs, tis the law.
    b) Anytime you're gonna be stopped for more then 5-10 seconds, handbrake on and into neutral.
    c) I would only ease out if visibility is obsured, otherwise only start the maneuver when the path is clear to proceed completely.
    d) Stalling isnt a really a big deal. It'd come under the failure to make progress - (fast recovery will circumvent the fault in most cases), dont forget to apply the handbrake and sticking her back into neutral before restarting (lame I know, it's how they want it)

Couple of tips from my experience.
    Hands on the wheel! Picked up a bad habit nowerdays where I drive with one hand on the gear stick constantly - that wouldnt pass the test :rolleyes:
    Roll down your window slightly before doing the corner reverse. It'll help you hear any cars you mightn't see (like ones coming perpendicular to your maneuver)
    If you can adjust your mirrors slightly so you /have/ to move your head to see through them (not awkwardly), the tester will be able to see you observation more clearly (I used to just move my eyes, tester can't see that!)

The changing a tire thing is usually because the bolts are torqued on with an impact hammer, often making them a complete bitch to get off. Though yes, alot of women dont even bother :rolleyes:

Oh, was there a recent addition to the test where you'll be asked about some engine comparment details? Check the oil, water level etc etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

The best lessons I learned about the test were actually on the test. The 1st one, be in control, it's your car. My tester stuck his elbow out of the window and blocked my mirror, I'm convinced it was part of the test to see what I would do, I told him to move it.The second was progress, I stopped at a corner and waited to let a car pass, I could see the tester write something so the next time I stopped at a corner a car was half the distance of the first one but I pulled out. He kept his pen to himself.I also stopped in the middle of a roundabout because a car pulled out, I know thats a big nono but it was the right thing to do,If I had of claimed the road and made that fella stop I would have failed instantly, he would have hit the testers side for a start:D I failed my first test in a learner car, I'm convinced that actually using the car for the test that you use everyday has benifits, your comfortable with the controls,especially the clutch, your not likely to use the wipers instead of the indicators and you dont have to spend anytime getting used to it.I had convinced myself before the test that I would pass, I was driving every day and comfortable with it, the test was no different in the end.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

1. Stop - Means STOP :D
    2. You can simply clutch and brake - a driving instructor told me that if you go for the hand brake every time you may not have adaquate time to start off again. I followed his advice and only got 1 grade 1 fault on my test;)
    3.Yes provided it is not a stop junction - if you cross a stop line without stopping it is a automatic fail
    4. depends on the tester really, if you do stall try not to get too flustered and concentrate on the remainder of the test, too many people fail because they "think" they have failed and don't concentrate properly for the remainder of the test
    5. Yep and basic driving around keeping good observation

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Wossack wrote:
    Oh, was there a recent addition to the test where you'll be asked about some engine comparment details? Check the oil, water level etc etc?

Yep,

You need to know where to check for oil, brake fluid, steering fluid, windscreen washer. also need to know the min thread dept for tires (1.6mm)

Advertisement