Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

[RANT] Treatment of L Drivers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Until you lose the L, you will have no respect on the road. People will try to overtake you as soon as they can even if you aren't the one slowing down traffic. A common scenario:

normal_car ---> L driver ---> tractor
    All going 30mph, because its not quite safe to overtake the tractor yet. The L driver might as well be another tractor as far as normal_Car is concerned, and as soon as L driver is about to pull out, normal_car will blast past him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Illkillya wrote:
    Until you lose the L, you will have no respect on the road. People will try to overtake you as soon as they can even if you aren't the one slowing down traffic. A common scenario:

I often drive a car with an "L", and to be honest don't notice any difference in people's attitudes. I don't dawdle either though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

Illkillya wrote:

normal_car ---> L driver ---> tractor
    All going 30mph, because its not quite safe to overtake the tractor yet. The L driver might as well be another tractor as far as normal_Car is concerned, and as soon as L driver is about to pull out, normal_car will blast past him.
    the reason for that is L plater is less lightly to go when you have a chance at a quick sprint but its the prick that drives at 50kph when the speed iss 100kph on a good road are the ones that really piss me off i no every one has to progress on to a road but driving on a good road at 100 is as easy as at 50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Went on another lesson today had a completly different experiece.I must have been lucky i was let otu by nearly every one i had nobody trying oto shot past me, overall very happy now that ive done some town driving.

I have no problem keeping to the speed limit but what annoys me is some young lad flooring his 1.1 saxo even though am am doing 100kph (MAIN RoaD)

Thats just dangerous and rude im lucky that im not aq nervous learner i have been moving cars around for years, but i just cant understand the rudeness of some people because your trying to learn on "thier" road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

I think it's fair to blow someone out of it who is not displaying any L plates, and is generally being an idiot on the road.

Which is most people. When displaying the L's and when not I still get treated the same and see the same examples of muppertry from other drivers and engage in it myself.

I used to be extra cautious around learners when I was on the bike but now that I'm in a car myself I treat everyone the same because the same mistakes are being made by all parties. ]

How do I treat people who are erratic, slow and stupid? I hang back and wait them out generally unless its somewhere I can get past them without them having to give my over take a thought. ~Try to be very Zen and talk to Budda and stuff =D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

layke wrote:
    I however had an experience this morning with a woman L plate driver doing 50 in a 60 zone. It wasn't that bad but it was clear she didn't read the speed signs (which are small and pretty easy to miss tbh).

I'm going to assume you mean MHP. Maybe she did see the speeds signs, and felt uncomfortable doing 60 and did 50 instead. Maybe you were more annoyed that it was a bendy road and you couldn't overtake her. Maybe you should take a trip down the M50 some afternoon, and spot all the cars rubber-necking at 40mph instead of 75mph, without L plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The M50 is crazy for people not using the motorway properly. The congestion wouldn't be half as bad if people didn't insist on doing 40mph in the both lanes with clear road ahead of them and queue of cars behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Stark wrote:
    The M50 is crazy for people not using the motorway properly. The congestion wouldn't be half as bad if people didn't insist on doing 40mph in the both lanes with clear road ahead of them and queue of cars behind.
    I agree. I was in Germany last week driving back to Frankfurt airport on a Friday afternoon at 5pm, and even then the traffic was flowing along nicely at a steady 120-130km/h

Alun wrote:
    the traffic was flowing along nicely at a steady 120-130km/h

Sweet, now you talkin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Someone close to me is learning to drive at the moment.

They were out in their car last night with their father who is driving over 30 years and a taxi driver at the lights overtook her while they were stopped and forced his way into the gap between her and in the car in front leaving his car sticking out at a 45 degree angle.

Her father got out and asked him what the hell his problem was and his reply?

"She shouldn't even be on the road".

So apparently now in 'eh taxi speak', someone with a provisional licence, L plates, a full licence driver, insurance, tax and an NCT cert is not allowed drive on public roads.

News to me and cemented my opinion that 90% of Dublin taxi drivers are scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Big Balls wrote:
    So apparently now in 'eh taxi speak', someone with a provisional licence, L plates, a full licence driver, insurance, tax and an NCT cert is not allowed drive on public roads.

Maybe he meant women shouldn't be allowed drive on public roads ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

You know, considering he drives a taxi for a living (ah but jaysus I've no money) he probably did mean that.

Big Balls wrote:
    News to me and cemented my opinion that 90% of Dublin taxi drivers are scumbags.

I doubt that you know 100% of taxi drivers, and that you know that 90% of them are scumbags. A stronger case would be to suggest that all taxi drivers that drive past me/you while i am trying to wave one down, are ignorant gits.

I've seen drivers of all types, be it Provisional, Full licenced, foreign, male, female, young and old driving like complete feckin' idiots, including myself at times, having complete lack of safety and courtesy, and road experience. No point in saying taxi drivers are the main problem, if anything DoubleDecker drivers are worse.

Advertisement