Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Different wireless devices reacting differently to wireless signal!?

• 25-07-2006 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm having some trouble with my wireless broadband at home.

A couple of days ago, I changed from Eircom to BT. I changed the modem/router and am now having some problems. The Modem is connected to the downstairs PC but there is no internet signal (wired) on that computer.

Upstairs, I have another PC which uses a USB wireless receiver. The internet on this computer works fine.

My dad's laptop picks up the signal without any problems.

My laptop will not connect to the signal properly. The connection is an "Automatic Private Address" and it is not assigned by DHCP. Therefore, my laptop will not connect to the internet although it shows the wireless signal.

I hope I have phrased this clearly and would really appreciate some help!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Check the passphrase is entered correctly. You are not getting authenticated by the security on the router. Turn off the security to test to see if you can connect then you'll know.

Why doe the machine that the modem is connected to not have any signal??? WTF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

OK, heres where I stand now.

My wireless on the laptop still doesnt work. It's still an Automatic Private Address - no Default Gateway is assigned. When I connect via ethernet to the router however, it works fine.

I installed the USB/Ethernet converter on the PC connected to the router directly and it will now connect to the internet.

The wireless signal will no longer pick up the router and I can no longer connect to the signal with the upstairs computer.

The lights which are flashing on the modem/router are the "internet" one and the lan port number 1. This is the port used to connect to the downstairs PC.

Any bright ideas from anyone by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Im confused - why cant you just set both the router and your laptop up to use dhcp? Once that is sorted then you can try messing arround with fixed IP's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

A couple of things.

Do you still have the eircom modem, or did you send it back? If you still have it, put it back in place - it will work just fine with BT, you may have to change the PPPoE userame and password on it.

If you dont have the old router, the first troubleshooting test is to disable encryption on the router and the wireless client. If you still can't connect with any of the wireless devices, assume the router isn't working. If you can connect with some of the wireess devices, but not others, assume the router is okay, and the the non-connecting devices are the problem. This sill at least allow you to focus your troubleshooting in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

besty wrote:
    Hi,

I'm having some trouble with my wireless broadband at home.

A couple of days ago, I changed from Eircom to BT. I changed the modem/router and am now having some problems. The Modem is connected to the downstairs PC but there is no internet signal (wired) on that computer.

Upstairs, I have another PC which uses a USB wireless receiver. The internet on this computer works fine.

My dad's laptop picks up the signal without any problems.

My laptop will not connect to the signal properly. The connection is an "Automatic Private Address" and it is not assigned by DHCP. Therefore, my laptop will not connect to the internet although it shows the wireless signal.

I hope I have phrased this clearly and would really appreciate some help!

Thanks

have you any wi fi security enabled on the router?

• Advertisement
Advertisement