Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAT or something else?

• 25-07-2006 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hey,

I've got a netgear wg602v2 router which has been delivering my digiweb to my laptop with no problems for ages. Now I got a PDA with wi-fi and I just assumed the router would connect both at the same time. Not so it seems. The laptop still connects fine, but the PDA is getting an IP address of 169.254.x.x.

After some reading, I am thinking that maybe NAT is the answer? Reason I say that is when I connect laptop direct to digiweb cable modem I get an IP address of 83.x.x.x. I get the exact same IP through when connected through the router. Laptop and PDA can't share the same IP at the same time methinks?

Can't see how to switch NAT on anywhere in the router settings though. Maybe I am totally wrong and its something else?

Any ideas?
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

If you are getting the same IP when going through the router as when you connect directly then your router is not mmmm routing. You need to check that first.

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭MrMagoo

If you are getting the same IP when going through the router as when you connect directly then your router is not mmmm routing. You need to check that first.

MC

LOL...I guess so. Any ideas on where to start? My know how is fairly limited when it comes to bits and bytes whizzin' through the ether :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

The netgear doesn't support NAT, you'll have to enable it on your digiweb modem (if possible).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

RTFM, page 86 - 87 or page c7,c8 & c9

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wg602v2_user_manual.pdf

Have you the DHCP enabled or... no if your not getting an address in the range 192.168.X.Y then you must have the DHCP server turned off. Turn this on, that MIGHT get the NAT function to work.

Also what kind of WiFi security are you using? WPA or WEP? Have you remembered to enter the passphrase into the PDA config page?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

If your PDA is assigning itself a 169.254.x.x address it's probably not even talking to the router. That's the address range that devices are supposed to take when they can't find anyone else to talk to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If it Digiweb DSL then the modem may have NAT. Digiweb Metro is just a modem. You need to have your own NAT router.

A basic WiFi point (usually with only one ethernet port) does not have any firewall or NAT.

A NAT/Router/Firewall that has a WiFi adaptor built in is a completly different animal.

A WiFi point connected to Ethernet port of a NAT/Router/Firewall will work with number of WiFi devices. But connected direct to a Modem will only support one device.

watty wrote:
    If it Digiweb DSL then the modem may have NAT. Digiweb Metro is just a modem. You need to have your own NAT router.

A basic WiFi point (usually with only one ethernet port) does not have any firewall or NAT.

But connected direct to a Modem will only support one device.

It's digiweb metro and that modem is connected to what netgear are calling an "access point". It only has one ethernet port at the back and thats where digiweb modem plugs in.

However I am bit confused because the manual says "The 54 Mbps Wireless Access Point WG602 v2 can support a small group of users in a
    range of several hundred feet. Most access points are rated for up to 32 users simultaneously."

Also, on Munster said about checking DHCP.... it is enabled (see screen shot of when laptop is connected direct to router). It was WPA security but I changed it Shared WEP and it made no difference.

Also, not sure this helps, but I notice the following happening in terms of the laptop getting different IP addresses.

Digiweb modem on but signal cable plugged out > Netgear router > laptop
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.10
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.1
    (No internet connectivity here)

Digiweb modem on and signal cable plugged in > Netgear router > laptop
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 83.147.170.51
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 83.147.170.1
    (Internet connectivity fine)

Digiweb modem on and signal cable plugged in > laptop
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 83.147.170.51
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 83.147.170.1
    (Internet connectivity fine)

I really don't know what part of my hardware is at fault here, but seems like it may be the netgear. Tested the laptop and PDA on a neighbours Belkin router and both connect fine.

Thanks again for any advice :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you checked to see if your Pda uses 'b' or 'g' wireless - the chances are your router is broadcasting a 'g' signal and this may be the cause of your problems.

dub45 wrote:
    Have you checked to see if your Pda uses 'b' or 'g' wireless - the chances are your router is broadcasting a 'g' signal and this may be the cause of your problems.

PDA only does 'b' and laptop does 'g', but router is broadcasting both. Funny thing is I can connect one at a time now, but never together. Arrrggg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

I know fa about PDA's but do you have cmd propt on them, like can you enter ipconfig /all on pda?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

MrMagoo wrote:
    However I am bit confused because the manual says "The 54 Mbps Wireless Access Point WG602 v2 can support a small group of users in a range of several hundred feet. Most access points are rated for up to 32 users simultaneously."
    You don't have a router, you have a wireless access point. If it's plugged into a network that supports multiple connections, then you can connect multiple wireless devices to it. But you don't have it connected to a network that supports multiple devices - you have it connected to a digiweb "modem" that only provides a single IP address for accessing the internet. You can't connect multiple devices.
    Also, on Munster said about checking DHCP.... it is enabled (see screen shot of when laptop is connected direct to router). It was WPA security but I changed it Shared WEP and it made no difference.
    You'd probably have to try it with no encryption at all to be sure that the PDA can even connect. Does the PDA support WEP or WPA?
    I really don't know what part of my hardware is at fault here, but seems like it may be the netgear. Tested the laptop and PDA on a neighbours Belkin router and both connect fine.
    The Netgear is working as designed. It's just not designed to "share" a single IP address between multiple devices - you need a router for that. You could get a basic non-wireless router, and plug the access point in to it and you should be able to get everything working.

Does the netgear manual not specifically say that it has NAT? Looks like it does

Does the netgear manual not specifically say that it has NAT? Looks like it does

Thats how I read it too, although it doesn't say how!

Time to ask the boys and girls in netgear. I'll post back on how I get on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

The section on NAT looks like a bog standard "how the internet works" appendix that they probably include in all their manuals. It looks to me as though someone cut and pasted that in and edited to refer to the wg602.

If it was a router, Netgear would be selling it as a router, not an access point.

Ah sorry, my bad. It would in fact appear that it doesn't have NAT. I was jus being lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

You'll have to either buy a NAT-capable router or you could set up an old PC as one if you have one lying around with a couple of ethernet interfaces (IPCop, Smoothwall, Clarkconnect).

For those of you who pointed out I don't have a router but an access point which is not the same thing.....gold stars!

The WG602v2 does not do NAT and is only a DCHP client, not a DCHP server. Got hold of a 'real' router and we had liftoff on the laptop and PDA straight away. Happy to report I am now sporting a brand new 192.168.x.x address. Fancy!

Thanks to all for yer input :D

Advertisement