Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB Guns

Options
  • 26-07-2006 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

hi. well i dont know if im in the right forum or not but this looked like the best one for my situation. i was just wondering if anyone new the law concerning bb guns. are they illegal, do you need a license. i mean they are just toys, i know you can get high powered air rifles that shoot metal balls but im talking about the spring loaded plastic ones that shoot little plastic balls about 20 feet.

any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

in ireland being the funny old place that it is makes them illegal i believe.

Sparks, Civdef or one of the mods will be along shortly and give you the exact law behind it but they are currently illegal i think.

EDIT: When i said illegal i meant ilegal to have without a license

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

BB guns, and more specifically in this case, airsoft guns (the ones that fire the plastic balls), aren't illegal here, but they are (currently) legally treated exactly the same as regular firearms, and are supposed to be licenced as such.
    The amended Criminal Justice Bill changes this to recognise them as 'not firearms', but this hasn't been implemented yet.

There's some discussion on these guns over on Sports > Extreme Sports, and there is a proposal to create a specific Airsoft Forum in System > Forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

moved from Consumer Issues

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

actually, ignore that. there was a similar thread by this poster on Consumer Issues that i was trying to move here. must have made a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

yeah there is a lot of talk of this on extreme sports

NOW you need a gun license SOON they will be toys if under 1 joule of power

• Advertisement
Advertisement