Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do i find out when an exchange is going to be updated / enabled

• 26-07-2006 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

living in a rural village in teh west of ireland and urgently need isdn / bb. Have been waiting three years for exchange to be upgraded, am on a carrier line at the moment.

they've actually started work on the exchanged but stopped coz it was proving too expensive. its impossible trying to get info on this. have been calling 1901, bb dublin, local engineers for eircom, but either there is no answer or they have no info available.

is there any way of finding out when my exchange is going to be upgraded.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Theres no guarantee that it will be upgraded. I would exhaust all other options (eg wireless) before holding out for eircom broadband.

As it stands, you should still be able to get ISDN... did they tell you you can't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Grainne wrote:
    living in a rural village in teh west of ireland and urgently need isdn / bb. Have been waiting three years for exchange to be upgraded, am on a carrier line at the moment.

they've actually started work on the exchanged but stopped coz it was proving too expensive. its impossible trying to get info on this. have been calling 1901, bb dublin, local engineers for eircom, but either there is no answer or they have no info available.

is there any way of finding out when my exchange is going to be upgraded.
    Call 1800503303. If it's on the upgrade list they'll know.
    As you probably know, if you're on a carrier line you won't be able to get BB even if the exchange is upgraded. If you order ISDN and they accept the order then the splitter will be removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Try irishwan. They have set up an extensive wireless network over ireland and some nodes of their network connect to the Internet.
    Try out their forums for information and help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Grainne

kaizersoze wrote:
    Call 1800503303. If it's on the upgrade list they'll know.
    As you probably know, if you're on a carrier line you won't be able to get BB even if the exchange is upgraded. If you order ISDN and they accept the order then the splitter will be removed.

I've rang that 1800 number in dublin several times, they've told me isdn is available, then i get a call about two weeks later saying an engineer has checked the line and that its not available. in the last three years this has happened about 5/6 times. i keep checking every so often to see if i can get it.

the exchange is supposed to be upgraded and then BB is coming to the area. the neighbouring village (about 2 miles away) has just got BB.

is there something that if they accept the order then they have upgrade my line ?????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Grainne wrote:
    is there something that if they accept the order then they have upgrade my line ?????????
    ISDN is similar to BB in that it won't run on a carrier line. They have been known remove splitters for ISDN orders but it looks like they haven't enough capacity in your area to take you off the carrier.
    Email phil.nolan@eircom.ie and tell him that in the absence of BB you would like to order ISDN but your order keeps being refused.
    If they do install ISDN you will have a clean line to the exchange ready for BB if it ever comes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement