Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staircase/Fireplace/Handrail/Elevation

Options
  • 26-07-2006 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Morning All,

Myself and my girlfriend are moving into our 2 bed house in the park Nov/Dec time (fingers crossed) and I just have a few questions I'd like to throw out there. Help would be appreciated!

>> Does anyone think the floating fireplace is too high up, has anyone managed to lower it and if so by how much!?

>> Has anyone kept the wooden staircase as is and if so how filthy was it when you moved in (after the builders) and what type of finish did you put on it (sand/paint/varnish?)

>> Lastly, does the hand rail on the staricase come as standard with the 2 bed house (park) and if so, which side is it on?

I was up there last weekend and had a look at the last phase in the park - its coming along nicely...the front elevation isnt as bad as first feared...about a metre or so up from ground level (some houses higher/some lower) so your probably looking at between 4-7 steps up to the front door - very american

All the best
    LB :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi there,

On the fireplace - our friends didn't like the floating fireplace at all, so got it replaced (before installation) free of charge with a standard unit.

Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Little Bobby

Nice one Eoin thanks for your quick reply.

I rang Durkan there and they gave me a list of sub-contractors and their numbers so I'll get on to CR Fireplaces in town and see what they can do - I'm not mad on the fireplace, very high up - looks like a built in microwave :eek: but its good that you can change it!

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 B.Rubble

On the staircase issue ... When we moved in the wood on the stairs was basically filthy (paint, dirt etc.), finally managed to get it cleaned up through a LOT of sanding. After that 3 coats of hard finish clear floor varnish did the trick.

Have to say that, unlike some other DIY efforts I've put in, all in all I'm really happy the way it looks now.

Thats good to hear Rubble thanks - I best get my sanding arm into shape so!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

I hated the floating fireplace (am also in a 2-bed townhouse) and had it replaced but after the house was built so cost almost €800. Well worth it though, went with C&R and they were fantastic - theyve a showroom on Capel St and I'd recommend going in to check it out as they have a couple of different models you can choose from (not sure if that costs more though). Plus it just looks so much nicer and homier than the pizza oven.

My house has the front door on the RHS and the banister on the stairs is on the LHS as you walk up (not sure if its the reverse on the other ones)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

eoin_s wrote:
    Hi there,

On the fireplace - our friends didn't like the floating fireplace at all, so got it replaced (before installation) free of charge with a standard unit.

Eoin

The swine!!! I took mine out myself and paid €800 for a "real" fireplace...still, well worth it IMHO. I'd agree with Ele-mental except I'd say it's homlier rather than homier....not that I've anything against my homies or Homers or those other people either....

Pizza oven haha - very accurate description! Thanks for getting back to me...thats a great help - I'll spin out to Capel street next week and see what they have to offer. Thanks for all the info - very handy forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

Marcais - sorry just to clarify - I had the original fireplace and surround taken out & boarded and plastered up all done by a mate as a nixer so C&R didnt do that.

The cost of €800 was just the cost of the new fireplace and surround and of course the delivery/fitting. And i just re-cycled the actual fire unit that was there - so we paid the same I reckon....

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ryecatcher

Hi there,
    we changed our fireplace to a full sized one too - rang site and then C&R and chose which mantle, surround, etc. It only cost us €100 and it looks great. I think it makes the living room look bigger, too. Just make sure Durkans have notice of this so that the pizza oven hole isn't cut.

Advertisement