Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help?

• 26-07-2006 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

I was on the Internet yesterday playing an online game (Maplestory). It stopped responding and closed telling me there was no Internet connection. I tried connecting to some sites but got nothing so I restarted the computer. Still no Internet. I then unplugged the router and plugged the modem straight into the computer. Still no Internet. I left it a few hours and then tried turning the modem on and off but still nothing. When I plug the same modem into my laptop I have Internet with no problems. Does anyone know what is happening? The computer with no Internet is my Mum's and she always blames me if anything goes wrong with it. I thought the game might have done something so I uninstalled it and I always ran a virus check but nothing doing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

If the modem has the DSL light on then it is probably fine.

Check:

Is the network card working. IE Is there any lights on at the conections

Have you got an IP address. Type ipconfig at a DOS prompt.

Sounds more like a cable/ Network problem.

Can you connect to the router from your web browser?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

As Shane says: Can you connect to the router from your web browser? That's the key question. "no Internet connection" is a bit of a red herring, the PC really only ever talks to the router, so that's the important thing to troubleshoot.

If it's a wired connection, the lights on the router and on some ethernet cards will indicate whether there's a physical connection. Unplug and re-plug at both ends to be sure. Check the status of the ethernet connection in the Control Panel.

Advertisement