Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heatstroke in guinea pigs (and rabbits)

Options
  • 26-07-2006 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

This applies to both animals, please note that anything above 22 degrees can KILL your guinea pig or rabbit so they must be moved indoors.

From one of my sites http://www.guinea-pig-rescue.com/heatstrokeAdvice.html

Some tips of keeping them cool:

If the weather gets too hot bring them indoors to a cool room.
    If already indoors, keep windows open but draw curtains/blinds.
    Never keep an indoor cage near the window (especially if it has a clear plastic lid). Drape a wet (wrung out) towel over their run/housing.
    Do not house them in timber sheds during hot weather, unless it is safe to leave door open all day.
    You can use garden parasoles or light coloured umbrellas for shade over their runs.
    Keep their water bottles filled and in a shaded area. Cucumber is a good veg to feed in hot weather. Drape a wet (wrung out) sheet or towel over the door of their shed.
    Please take care of your rabbits too.
    Birds in aviarys can be sprayed with cool water. Always have a constant supply of fresh water and shaded area for any pet outdoors.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 SusieBelle

I've found freezing large things like Quality street containers great my rabbit sits right up on it to cool :cool:

Advertisement