Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband problem

• 26-07-2006 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

howdy,
    I am having huge problems setting up my eircom broadband. I have recvd the modem etc and installed both for an ethernet and wireless connection on several occasions (deleting each one prior to installing the next) and none work.
    After contacting Eircom on several occasions and each person trying a different "idea" to fix my problem I am none the better off.

The problem I am having is that my Pc does not seem to be connecting to the Modem. All the correct lights are shown on the modem and the pc can see the modem, but there is always the message " limited or no connectivity",I have tried several ethernet lines just to be sure there is not line problem. also when i type ipconfig into the dos prompt/black screen it comes up blank should this be?

Please can anyone out there help me?????

I'm doing my nut in with out internet access at home.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

change the ip[ of the pc to 192.168.1.XX because thats the routers subnet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

When did u get the modem from eircom ? When i got my modem it was another 4 or 5 days before my line was even turned on!

Also if u just plug your lan cable into the modem and then into your computer and set your ip to detect manualy you dont need to install any drivers that i know off. Well i did not anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 King_Carlos

how do i change that ip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

go into network connections in control panel and doubleclick the connection the modem is connected to and click properties then there should be a window with
    This conection uses the following items double click on internet protocol TCP/IP
    now you can set your own ip with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and eircoms dns's
    or seledct auto detect(of course if it already is auto detect you have to set it)

eircoms dns's can be gotten from http://192.168.1.254 if that works

cheers i'll give that a shot tonight, think one of the lads did that already, i have even gotten to the stahe where i have no firewall/ virusscan running, just in case that is what the problem is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

cheers i'll give that a shot tonight, think one of the lads did that already, i have even gotten to the stahe where i have no firewall/ virusscan running, just in case that is what the problem is
    If IPCONFIG comes back blank, then you don't have an IP address. The eircom modem will give you an IP address automatically, if your computer asks for one, even if the modem isn't plugged into the ADSL line, so it doesn't matter whether your line has been enabled or not - it won't do you any good if your PC can't talk to the modem anyway!.

The "limited connection" message indicates that your ethernet port sees a physical connection, but isn't able to "talk" to anything at the other end. Whie this coud be caused by a physical problem (a bad ethernet port, or even some dirt in the plug), it's more likely to be because the ethernet port on the PC is configured with information that doesn't match the modem.

Make sure that you set your PCs ethernet port to get an IP address automatically - if you have to set it manualy then something is broken.

If you continue to have problems, your best bet would be to borrow a laptop from someone else to see if it can talk to your router, or if you have a laptop, to bring it to somewhere else and see if it's ethernet port works on someone elses router.

Thanks to everyone for their help. Problem now resolved.
    It was the ethernet port that was the problem. something happened to the driver and it not working properly, so I managed to reinstall the drivers and hey presto everything kicked back into line.

I was at the end of my wick, as I had even plugged in a laptop and it worked on the broadband, and even changed the ethernet cable 3 times! never thought it could have been the drivers.

Thanks again.

Advertisement