Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new tax's for cars over 3ltr?

Options
  • 26-07-2006 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know exactly what's happening with this? I think it's crazy that you have to pay through the nose to get the car you want and for the government to bang on about the environment - I don't see the dignitaries driving around in toyota prius's - no they have massive A8's that we're bloody paying for!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 KTdesigner

Lead by example, and not - DO AS I SAY, and not as I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I know ye... it's kind like this...

I like that one, I'll import it cos it's only $40k - then it's - well the car is worth 120k so you have to give us 40k plus vat plus pay mad tax and bla bla bla..... it's a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

I love the fact its capacity based, regardless of emissions or fuel consumption, so the person who goes for the 530d, because he likes a bit of performance and 45mpg, pays the same tax as the bloke with the 5 litre Hummer which does 15mpg! Not exactly well thought out. The UK has the right idea, tax based on manufacturers emissions! Likewise VRT should be based on the same system, ie the percentage brackets, rather than "oh thats over 2 litres, that will be 30% please" it should be "ah 10mpg, that will be 30% please!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Would this affect people who need vehicle's for work purposes?

I thinking of my dad who has a 3.1ltr Isuzu trooper.
    it's needed for work on the farm
    There are no back seats and or back windows if that makes a diiference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I think it should be scrapped and 10c a litre added onto the price of petrol, that way polluter pays, 10mpg car pays alot more than 50mpg car and also someone who drives 50k miles a year pays more then someone doing 10k miles. I also think BIK tax should apply to government vehicles, it's not fair those making the law on us being immune from it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've been looking for a link, but I heard some story yesterday that the government is thinking of switching from a capacity based rate to an emmissions based rate. Quite how this'll work or be structured is another matter. I can't see then designing a system so that any of us pays less than we are coughing up now.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

Commercial vehicles, such as the Isuzu Trooper (with no rear seats or windows) are on a completely different tax scale. You pay per the tonnage of the vehicle - for under 3000kgs it's €253 a year.

Advertisement