Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 year old and hotels

Options
  • 26-07-2006 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Myself, wife and baby are heading off to do some visiting in the south east. We'd also like to take a day or 2 break in a hotel somewhere (Wexford/Waterford). What I'm wondering is do hotels generally have childminding services available at night (expensive?). I'm thinking if baby goes to sleep at 8pm in the room is that our bedtime also as I can't see the baby monitor having coverage down in the Restaraunt :)

Just wondering what others do in this situation.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I was a hotel receptionist for awhile, and we had many parents in this situation. We, as a hotel, didn't offer childminding services, but I know many hotels do and they generally say same on their advertising & website. Check around before you go, then when you make your reservations make sure they know you'll have a baby so they can arrange for a cot in the room.

I saw many parents who would leave their babies in the rooms alone while they went off to have drinks etc. Personally, I don't agree with this, but we never had a problem with the kids getting hurt so I suppose that each parent has to make that decision for themselves. I doubt baby monitors would work from the room to the restaurant/bar b/c of all of the other electronics in the hotel.

So I'd suggest finding a hotel with a reliable babyminding service...even if they charge for it, I can't imagine the costs would outweigh the freedom that you and the Mrs. would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

a lot of hotels now have baby listening services via the phone, where you dial a number and leave it off the hook. Some hotels offer to monitor this for you, but most hotels, tell you to monitor it yourself, and all you do is call a number from any hotel phone which patches you in to your room so you can hear if he's crying. It's a good system which works very well. you should also consider bringing your own travel bed for your baby as hotels charge an extra 10 or 15 euros for putting a baby bed in your room

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

a lot of hotels now have baby listening services via the phone, where you dial a number and leave it off the hook. Some hotels offer to monitor this for you, but most hotels, tell you to monitor it yourself, and all you do is call a number from any hotel phone which patches you in to your room so you can hear if he's crying. It's a good system which works very well.

This sounds interesting, I've never heard of it.
    you should also consider bringing your own travel bed for your baby as hotels charge an extra 10 or 15 euros for putting a baby bed in your room

I've never heard of this either. Like I said earlier, the hotel where I worked offered baby cots, but we never charged for them. I haven't come across a hotel that does, but I'm sure there are loads out there that do. OP - another good reason to check around and ask the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If you want to keep tabs on the child yourself you could request a room close to the ground floor/bar/restaurant. Probably also a better chance of getting a signal on your baby monitor.

I also think that Kelly's in Roslare have childminding services - they are a tad pricey though in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Leax

the ferrycarraig in wexford provides recommended baby-sitters. haven't ever been told no so far anywhere when i asked about childminding in hotels, you just need to be careful to find out what they know about the minder and make sure it's not just someone who handed in their name and number at the desk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Whitford hotel in Wexford is a lovely family run hotel. Top class and I mean top class pool etc. Kids club great food. I reckon they would be very reliable for child minding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I don't think leaving a baby in a hotel room alone is such a hot idea myself. But each to their own. I would warn you that in my experience they don't sleep as well as they do at home. But then every child is different. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tyney

As usual, different people have different needs, but I had two hotel stays with my kids(ages 2&4) and swore that I would never do it again until they are old enough to stay in their own room. Once they are asleep, 9pm,You can't put the tv on, can barely speak to each other, can't have the light on to read. If you want to order room service , it requires sneaking around in the dark, and trying to eat/drink without making any noise. Few hotels have aircon, so 1 window open onto a noisy carpark. Since then, it's been rent a house in a complex, give the kids their own room, and relax with a few beers once they have gone to bed. The mount wolsley in tullow was brilliant. 4 bed house, all mod cons, playground and use of leisure centre. lots of places like this. try dreamireland.ie. And it's worth haggling. the list price is way over what you will pay if you are a brave negotiator. With the extra rooms, invite a sister/mother/friend along. they might keep an eye on the gurriers while you nip out for a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bookee

most hotels can provide a Babysitter, with notice. Expensive, yes, but it's worth it. Usually ask for a 'mature' lady....!:)

Advertisement