Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gps software/maps with full ireland maps

• 26-07-2006 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

hi.
    does anyone know of any satnav products coming out this year with the latest navteq data (ie full ireland coverage).

i heard that mapopolis are releasing full coverage maps this year and aa navigator have a version out with full coverage.

but can anyone confirm this and maybe give their experience of either of these.

i have mapopolis myself on my ipaq 4150 paired with a holux gpslim bluetooth receiver and it works fine but i'm just still waiting for full maps.

any other satnav products coming out with the updated navteq data. e.g anyone know if copilot are releasing a new version soon?

any info would be great. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

mkennedy wrote:
    hi.
    does anyone know of any satnav products coming out this year with the latest navteq data (ie full ireland coverage).

i heard that mapopolis are releasing full coverage maps this year and aa navigator have a version out with full coverage.

but can anyone confirm this and maybe give their experience of either of these.

i have mapopolis myself on my ipaq 4150 paired with a holux gpslim bluetooth receiver and it works fine but i'm just still waiting for full maps.

any other satnav products coming out with the updated navteq data. e.g anyone know if copilot are releasing a new version soon?

any info would be great. thanks.

Currently the only one appears to be AA Navigator

See http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=39442

I believe Navigon V6 is due later this year and will also include these maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Mapopolis have the latest maps out too - I bought the western europe pack about 2 months ago and the Ireland coverage is fantastic. It can be annoying finding addresses in rural areas as what I thought was the inlaws house name is actually the road name of a small part of the road, but with a bit of trial and error I've found all places I've needed. One down side is it often navigates up rural roads that about wide enough for a sheep more than a car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

thanks. that's great.

yeah, i was actually talking to mapopolis earlier this year about the latest navteq data and they were saying at the time it was coming out soon. but i just wanted to check here if anyone actually has it and obviously you do, BigMoose.

the only thing i don't like about mapopolis is that they don't have a 3d option. that's why i was wondering should i get the aa navigator (not much more expensive afaik but doesn't do the whole of western europe i think?) or maybe wait for a new version of copilot (also navteq but probably a bit more expensive).

then again, the fact that you get the whole of western europe with mapopolis for not much more than 100 euro maybe it's worth it 3d or no 3d. (btw how much did you pay for it BigMoose?).
    p.s. updates are free for a year with mapopolis as well, aren't they

thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

i'm getting mapoplis and my gps reciever hopefully tomorrow, whats the coverage like down in cork..seems the general overall feeling is that the coverage is good in ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

damo86 wrote:
    i'm getting mapoplis and my gps reciever hopefully tomorrow, whats the coverage like down in cork..seems the general overall feeling is that the coverage is good in ireland?

i got a quick look at it pre-release a few months back and the coverage is pretty much complete everywhere in ireland now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

sweet.. cant wait to give a go!

regards
    damo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭BigMoose

If you mail support@mapopolis.com (I think!!) they will send a demo version of a single county, so if you're particularly interested in coverage of a given area drop them a line. They were very helpful in doing this for me to show what the coverage was like. As a result I bought the lot shortly after.

Yes, the lack of 3d is a shame, but given the cost of the whole of western europe maps ($124 which is less than 100 euro) and how much more up to date their pack was than most of the competition, I decided it was well worth a go and haven't been dissapointed.

Do note that their "free downloads" within the year simply mean you can log on and download any country in the pack you have bought (so in my case any western europe country) within the year. They do not issue updated versions of the maps that are then freely downloadable. If they release Q1 07 navteq data before my year is up, I wont get the download for free. It's not clearly worded!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I have been using Route66 Mobile 7 over the last couple of days and i'm quite impressed. That said, this is my first gps experience so I have nothing to compare it with. What other comparable products are out there that can be loaded onto a smartphone? Is their mapping better or worse than the latest maps from route66?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Destinator 6.0 also has full Irish coverage (they've the Q1/2006 Navteq maps included). It came out in late May or June this year. It's details is very impressive with the new maps - part of a bog road out in the countryside near my folks is even listed on it ;)

The only places I know of where to get it is off eBay and inkino.co.uk (at least, those that will ship to Ireland).

For Mapopolis, I've tried the demo map of Dublin. It's very fast loading and while it doesn't have 3D, it won't hog your PDA's resources. It's also very inexpensive, when compared to some of the other solutions available.

Finally, Navigon 6.0 is due out some time in the Autumn and it will have full Irish coverage then. Avoid TomTom or Mio software, as they use TeleAtlas data, which is nowhere near as complete for Irish road map coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

I believe Garmin are to release this Sept or Q4 this year sometime. Garmin use Navteq maps, I have mailed there support email to see what version of the navteq maps they will be using in the next update but have yet to get a reply.

It is due to be a 100% Ireland coverage release, previously it was just primary routes this release will include minor roads. (Never 100% though with new by passes being opened every couple of months and new estates being built with new service roads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement