Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Banned for driving with sandals

Options
  • 26-07-2006 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

Heard on G Ryan this morning about some woman who
    got slapped big time by a judge in Roscommon ? for wearing Sandals
    She apparantly got 18 Months driving ban and € 700 fine .
    The Garda in question is alledged to have said in court that
    wearing sandals did or could contribute to dangerous driving and that
    Shoes are for driving and sandals are for the beech !
    Guess the Judge aghreed with him !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

a bit OTT. Lots of women drive with sandals!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The ****? Where in the law does it say that you can't drive with sandals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

*sniff sniff* Anyone else smell something funny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sandals? Would Jesus have been banned?! :eek:

Now slippers I understand! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Thats a bit ridiculus... how did the Garda even see she was wearing em?

Go something like?

"Out of the car missus, you'll have to take a sobriety test."
    *gets her to walk lines etc*
    "Damn, you passed... hows the thread depth on those tires?"
    *prods wheels*
    "Damn... err... seatbelt no, headlights no, mobile no, um..."
    *scratches head*
    "Ah ha, sandals! Gotcha! Get in the squad car mam!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

sandals or flip-flops [heh, funny word]?

i presume the gard stopped her for driving dangerously,
    and realised the cause was that she was wearing unsecured flip-flopd which kept slipping off her feet?

i didnt think they were doing random shoe inspections yet?
    [maybe it was the fashion gardai?]

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Seems like the typical "only half the story" thing all over again. I'm guessing she was done for dangerous driving for some completely unrelated reason, and the thing about the sandals was just a passing comment by the Garda, that got picked up by the judge. Still seems a bit silly as I drive in sandals all the time in the summer. Maybe it was those plastic flip-flop things people wear on the beach, in which case I can understand it, although I still don't believe that was the primary cause of her being "done".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

subway wrote:
    [maybe it was the fashion gardai?]

Maybe she wore socks with her sandals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

i often wonder how women drive with sandals, she was prob wearing those paper thin pieces of pennys sh1te. bit harsh but there must have been a more sinister reason for her to be stopped,speeding, crazy woman driving etc i mean how the hell can you see a persons feet from outside a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Why do you wonder Kona? I drive in sandals all the time and it makes no difference to my driving. Or are you just curious how women drive with sandals and not men?

• Advertisement

If the cops are coming down hard on footware then this is bad news!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Gerry Ryan is an idiot and his show is a load of crap. I wouldn't believe a word I hear on either that show or Joe Duffy's one. People who ring up those shows tend to be fruitcakes, moaners and liars.

So I would have a similar opinion to Alun on this

Methinks this is a quite light-hearted thread Brian!

Mike.

FX Meister wrote:
    Why do you wonder Kona? I drive in sandals all the time and it makes no difference to my driving. Or are you just curious how women drive with sandals and not men?

whatever, i wonder becuse i cant thats why, i also wonder why they cycle with sandals, which is much more stupid than driving with them.
    and how the hell do they drive with big heels on and heeled boots, ****ing hell, it must be a skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I drive barefoot all the time in the summer

I do know a few people who have had difficulty wearing flip flops while driving. Where the heel gets stuck on the floor mat and your foot gets stuck on the pedal. Happened to my brother and my girlfriends best friend.

EDIT: flip flops are different from sandals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

kona wrote:
    i also wonder why they cycle with sandals, which is much more stupid than driving with them.

You can't generalise like that, it depends on the sandals. I drive and cycle (my Kona bike funnily enough) in my sadals. I have also hiked numerous Mountains in them. A proper pair of sandals are just as safe as shoes. They give just as much control, FACT.

There is no law against wearing sandals or even driving barefoot for that matter. I reiterate the point made my numerous others that there is more to this case, and it IS typical Jerry Ryan crap of people sensationalising their subjective side of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

Stark wrote:
    Maybe she wore socks with her sandals.
    :D
    Black or white,short or long :D ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

how did the Garda know she was wearing sandals?
    Do they have to have a good reason to suspect that you may be infact wearing sandals, or can they do random sandal checks?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

colm_mcm wrote:
    how did the Garda know she was wearing sandals?
    Do they have to have a good reason to suspect that you may be infact wearing sandals, or can they do random sandal checks?
    Personally, I'd mount a challenge to the sandal checking apparatus.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Is it not in the rules of the road that you are to wear proper adequate footware. Sandals were not included in that

• Advertisement

wingnut wrote:
    You can't generalise like that, it depends on the sandals. I drive and cycle (my Kona bike funnily enough) in my sadals. I have also hiked numerous Mountains in them. A proper pair of sandals are just as safe as shoes. They give just as much control, FACT.

There is no law against wearing sandals or even driving barefoot for that matter. I reiterate the point made my numerous others that there is more to this case, and it IS typical Jerry Ryan crap of people sensationalising their subjective side of the story.

they are fine man, sorry what i ment were flip flops, your sandals are well built, grand for a bike,flip flops aint.
    i bet ya 2000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 euro the woman wasnt wearing sandals similar to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭andrea

I drive in flip flops in this weather because wearing anything else would be too hot. I haven't had any problems with that or I wouldn't do it. Now I don't notice a difference between driving with them and driving with my normal runners.

Sandals could mean anything, and presumably there was some dodgy driving that drew attention to her footwear in the first place!

andrea wrote:
    I drive in flip flops in this weather because wearing anything else would be too hot. I haven't had any problems with that or I wouldn't do it. Now I don't notice a difference between driving with them and driving with my normal runners.

Sandals could mean anything, and presumably there was some dodgy driving that drew attention to her footwear in the first place!

honestly, i wear socks with skate runners when i cycle and drive, i was in NY at the start of the month in 38 degrees and wore the same footwear, and i dont notice a difference from in winter, doesnt bother me does the heat. you will notice a difference when ya go back to runners trust me.
    and ye she prob hit the accelerator instead of brake or somthing that has to do with the pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭andrea

I have switched over and back and have no problem adjusting. I never got into a habit of wearing a particular type of footwear for driving when I started first so in general if I can walk comfortably in something I can drive comfortably in it too.

the problem with flip flops is that the heal part of em is not attached to your foot and it is easy enough for the whole flip flop to get wedged between the pedal and those floor mats with ridges in them

sandals on the other hand are usualy strapped to your foot so its all cool

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Vegeta wrote:
    the problem with flip flops is that the heal part of em is not attached to your foot and it is easy enough for the whole flip flop to get wedged between the pedal those floor mats with ridges in them
    That's what I'm guessing. I'd say the woman made some stupid manouver which caused her to crash or almost crash, and probably attributed the error to her sandal impeding her ability to control her vehicle correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

This is redicilous. There are several forms of footwear that could be lumped together into that catagory. High heels with only toe straps. Large wellingtons/boots could easily hit 2 pedals of some cars.

So where does driving with no shoes stand or with a plaster cast
    or no legs.

stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

andrea wrote:

i figure flipflops without any back bit wouldn't and shouldn't pass muster, those robust sandals are different thing.

AMurphy wrote:
    So where does driving with no shoes stand or with a plaster cast
    or no legs.

stupid.

there are people with no legs who drive you know.

My math lecturer in college for one. Had a joy stick beside the steering wheel for speeding up and slowing down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Ah well sure its another female driver off the road! Sure thats a good thing right!! :p;):D :rolleyes: :o :eek:

KIDDING!!

Surely, sandals can get caught between pedals which could lead to an accident!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement