Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Banned for driving with sandals

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭andrea

So if you are braking nobody is EVER going to hit you from behind? Ever? That never happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

andrea wrote:
    So if you are braking nobody is EVER going to hit you from behind? Ever? That never happens?

when hit from behind you fly backwards away from the pedals

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭andrea

Vegeta wrote:
    when hit from behind you fly backwards away from the pedals

You'd better hope away from the pedals if you're barefoot, because after you're pulled back you're pushed forward again. Where do your feet go then do you think?

andrea wrote:
    You'd better hope away from the pedals if you're barefoot, because after you're pulled back you're pushed forward again. Where do your feet go then do you think?

you need to watch some slow mo crash tests. especially the ones from behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Oh Christ, will you stop being ridiculous. If you are in a crash having "footwear" on instead of bare feet is going to make feck all difference to your feet. Now if you have workboots with a steel toecap and steel sole plate then they might possibly benefit you. Or they might make things worse and make it more difficult for the emergency services if you need to be cut out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

A day later and they're still telling us we all need to start driving barefoot. :rolleyes:

To the absolute CLOWN that thinks the need for braking hard means you're a bad driver, what exactly would you do, even at 50 kmh, if a football with a kid running after it came out in front of you? Your natural reaction would be to dance on the brakes (but I suppose you can also predict even situation on the roads too :D ).

Some of the idiots even defending this absolute rubbish have not even passed a driving test yet they think they can 'educate' people on this board driving a lot longer and with hundreds of thousands of kilometers under their belt.

And it doesn't matter how thin the soles of racing drivers are - they are still wearing some sort of footwear you complete plonker.

Big Balls wrote:
    A day later and they're still telling us we all need to start driving barefoot. :rolleyes:

To the absolute CLOWN that thinks the need for braking hard means you're a bad driver, what exactly would you do, even at 50 kmh, if a football with a kid running after it came out in front of you? Your natural reaction would be to dance on the brakes (but I suppose you can also predict even situation on the roads too :D ).

Some of the idiots even defending this absolute rubbish have not even passed a driving test yet they think they can 'educate' people on this board driving a lot longer and with hundreds of thousands of kilometers under their belt.

And it doesn't matter how thin the soles of racing drivers are - they are still wearing some sort of footwear you complete plonker.

well so far you have called me an idiot, a clown and a complete plonker without once telling me why you are unable to brake in your bare feet. I am waiting. I can do complete emergeny stops in my bare feet, why cant you???

Pass your test, get a full NCB and you can tell me how good a driver you are.

Until then, stop putting rubbish on a forum for car enthusiasts. If driving barefoot was so great, we'd all be doing it.

Big Balls wrote:
    Pass your test, get a full NCB and you can tell me how good a driver you are.

Until then, stop putting rubbish on a forum for car enthusiasts. If driving barefoot was so great, we'd all be doing it.

wow you cant answer a simple question can you? Answer my question and quit resorting to ad hominem attacks. They really portray your character well

EDIT: also i have never said that driving barefoot was "great" i said you were in just as much in control. If you contest this please say why.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

This has to be a load of crap!!! Has to be.. i mean hell in this heat im wearing sandles!!! No difference when driving... now flip-flops... they would be harder to drive with as they do not stay on your feet!!! Sandles though are as secure as shoes. I mean on the continent they are very commonly worn!! Over here there seems to be some stupid notion that sandles are ONLY to be worn on holidays and never at home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Read back through the thread, it turned out to be a hoax ;)

Saruman - a few tabloids yesterday said it was a wind up.

Vegeta - I know from trying once before when moving a car while sunbathing that I cannot drive as well with simply my feet. If you cannot notice a difference in your control of the car while wearing footwear and not, then perhaps your driving is just awful all the time. And seeing as you're now analysing characters, then perhaps you need to lose the "I know it all attitude" when you haven't even passed a test.

Big Balls wrote:
    Saruman - a few tabloids yesterday said it was a wind up.

Vegeta - I know from trying once before when moving a car while sunbathing that I cannot drive as well with simply my feet. If you cannot notice a difference in your control of the car while wearing footwear and not, then perhaps your driving is just awful all the time.

yeah sure you cant control a car in your barefeet and I'm the bad driver :rolleyes:

I'm off home now Vegeta, in my own car without permission from anyone to drive or someone in the left seat telling me which indicator to use and when.

Just accept that people drive better with footwear and stop being such a muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Stark wrote:
    Read back through the thread, it turned out to be a hoax ;)

Thats grand... no way i was reading through 4 pages though.. :D

Big Balls wrote:
    I'm off home now Vegeta, in my own car without permission from anyone to drive or someone in the left seat telling me which indicator to use and when.

hang on i'll get you a medal
    Just accept that people drive better with footwear and stop being such a muppet.

you know calling someone a muppet is personal abuse and might get you banned from the forum.

I drive better in my bare feet, just accept that.

I will ask you again, tell me why someone in their barefeet or socks cannot control a car as well as someone in shoes.

Please enlighten me oh full license driver. Obviously I have some infliction if i am capable of driving shoed and un-shoed, i must be some kind of mutant

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

Driving barefoot will dramatically lower the surface area over which you can apply a large amount of pressure so in an emergency situation you may not be able to apply enough pressure to the brakes.
    Also afaik it's not illegal but if you are pulled for another offence, such as speeding, the Garda could apply a charge of dangerous driving if he/she felt your driving was impaired by not wearing shoes.

dubstub wrote:
    Driving barefoot will dramatically lower the surface area over which you can apply a large amount of pressure so in an emergency situation you may not be able to apply enough pressure to the brakes.
    Also afaik it's not illegal but if you are pulled for another offence, such as speeding, the Garda could apply a charge of dangerous driving if he/she felt your driving was impaired by not wearing shoes.

do me a favour, the next time you are driving on private property. take off your shoe and do an emergency stop.

Well as pressure is force per unit area you will need less of a force if the area is small to create the same pressure.

i.e. which side of a nail would you use to drive into a table. The narrower sharp side or the wide side. Which one takes more force.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lads put down the handbags!
    Its friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

do me a favour, the next time you are driving on private property. take off your shoe and do an emergency stop.

You're assuming you will always hit the brake with the ball of your foot. In a *controlled* emergency situation that may well be true. But when something unexpected runs out in front of you how you react may not be as easy to predict.
    It is common sense that having a flat, hard surface covering the entire area of your foot will allow you to put a lot more pressure on the pedal, regardless of what part of your foot strikes the pedal surface.

• Advertisement

dubstub wrote:
    You're assuming you will always hit the brake with the ball of your foot.

No i'm not. have you ever even tried it
    In a *controlled* emergency situation that may well be true. But when something unexpected runs out in front of you how you react may not be as easy to predict.
    It is common sense that having a flat, hard surface covering the entire area of your foot will allow you to put a lot more pressure on the pedal, regardless of what part of your foot strikes the pedal surface.

ok i don't know how many times i have to say this. When driving under normal conditions i.e. not an emergency it is just as easy infact i would go as far as saying easier to drive in socks than shoes, due to an increased feel for the pedals

So much so in fact that i drove to work for a week with no shoes on during the hot weather and found it awful to go back to shoes because of the lack of feel and sense. It was like trying to play the guitar wearing gloves

I have already said in an emergency i'd rather be wearing shoes as there is a little bit more protection there.

also in a true emergency who's to say what might happen, you might hit the accelerator by accident, with or without shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

this thread has become ridiculous. close it please.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My sentiments exactly!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement