Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing New Toilets - Advice Needed

Options
  • 26-07-2006 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

My plumber is installing the toilets in my new house. He says that the toilets are not right as they need plumbing from the wall, where all traditional toilets get plumbed from the floor. He says he can make it work but it will look ugly (I think the cistern might be away from the wall).

BTW say they are the standard toilets they sell, while the builder says that you normally have the special order the type they gave us.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

No problem if the toilet outlet is horizontal. This is quite common particularly if the soil pipe has to be taken at right angles through a wall.

My toilet is arranged this way!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Pooldude

I assume we are talking about the inlet and not the waste/soil pipe. The inlet can be from the bottom of the cistern or the top, though I think todays toilet are mostly from the bottom. I gather yours in from the top and the plumbing is coming up from the floor.

If I have this right your plumber will need to bring the pipe up the back of the citern and to the top inlet, hence the gap between the cister and the wall. This would not be the cleanest of options.

You could drill the bottom of the citern for a bottom inlet and bung the top inlet. This would most likely mean replacing the ball cock mechanism. But it is worth the hassle. Can you not get the cistern change as the providers?

If I got the scerario wrong, well....I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If the wall is not already tiled then I dchase out the wall, inlet pipes are not wide
    If it is tiles then Id run the pipe long the cistern/wall joint.

wont look fantastic but better than a gap I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

PoolDude wrote:
    My plumber is installing the toilets in my new house. He says that the toilets are not right as they need plumbing from the wall, where all traditional toilets get plumbed from the floor. He says he can make it work but it will look ugly (I think the cistern might be away from the wall).

BTW say they are the standard toilets they sell, while the builder says that you normally have the special order the type they gave us.

Any advice?

Sounds to me like he's talking about the waste pipe rather then the water inlet.I've no idea why everyone thinks it the inlet. water inlets are at the sides or bottom of the cistren never at the back, never ever ever ever at the back. I've had this problem myself. It used to be the case that you could put the waste pipe either straight or at a right angle to your toilet. But all modern toliets are these combined jobs. where there the cistren sits into the bowl, thus their is no room for a standard right angle in the waste pipe, meanign the cistren sites out from the wall. Easiest solution is to put the toliet on a different wall, which since it's a new house you should be able to do.

tbh, you plumber is livign in the stone age if he didn't forsee this problem.

Advertisement