Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mad bet I made - Discuss

• 26-07-2006 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭

Guys,
    This is not a ManU bashing excercise and I'd like to keep it civil.

I made a bet, in a drunken stupor, that ManU wont finish in the top 6 this season. This was based on no signings so far this summer, ageing players, poor players, inadequate back up and SAF loosing his marbles.

I see the league being won again by Chelsea, Liverpool coming second, I reckon Arsenal and Spurs will take 3rd and 4th spots. I dont know who else will fill 5th and 6th spot in order for me to win....

Please discuss (in a civilized manner)...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

cant see it happening(baised);)
    curious to know what odds you got?or is it a bet between friends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Keyzer wrote:
    Guys,

I made a bet, in a drunken stupor, that ManU wont finish in the top 6 this season. This was based on no signings so far this summer, ageing players, poor players, inadequate back up and SAF loosing his marbles.

I see the league being won again by Chelsea, Liverpool coming second, I reckon Arsenal and Spurs will take 3rd and 4th spots. I dont know who else will fill 5th and 6th spot in order for me to win....

transfer window closes End Aug not today....

I will take that bet with you again - even go sofar as give you top 4...

Hope you can afford to lose whatever you bet.

BTW - I think this is a troll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Keyzer wrote:
    Guys,

I will cover you and who ever else wants to make this bet !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

This is a troll. But I'll treble whatever odds you were given and multiply it by 2. And you can have whatever you want on.

You won't though, cause you're really not that stupid. But you wanted to throw this thread out there anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

can't see it happening, they have too many good players like Rooney and Saha to finish outside the top 6. Which other teams outside the current top 4 have a match winner as consistent as Rooney? i don't really think there is one.

As for the signings, most of the big signings happen close to the deadline, i wouldn't be worried (yet...)

i'd say fourth.

• Advertisement

fade2black wrote:
    This is a troll. But I'll treble whatever odds you were given and multiply it by 2. And you can have whatever you want on.

You won't though, cause you're really not that stupid. But you wanted to throw this thread out there anyway.

Great minds think alike ;) , but hey i asked for his money first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Tis a bit stupid really. Will definitely come top 4 and will be very tight between Pool, Arsenal and United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

A troll?
    I dont want to bet with any of you lot.

It was between me an a friend. All I'm asking for is a discussion on whether this is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What odds you get?

At about 50-1, I'd take that bet, just cause ya never know, but in a straight bet, it's silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Keyzer wrote:
    A troll?

It was between me an a friend. All I'm asking for is a discussion on whether this is possible.

of course its possible

but do you want to know if its likely?

no, not a chance in hell

whats there to discuss?

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    What odds you get?

At about 50-1, I'd take that bet, just cause ya never know, but in a straight bet, it's silly.

It was a 50 Euro bet between me and a mate.
    I don't give a toss about the bet, I'm looking to discuss the scenario -

Will United finish in the top 6?

Keyzer wrote:
    A troll?

I will give you what ever odds you want !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Keyzer wrote:
    Guys,

Hope you made that bvet with the bookies and not your friends. At least with the bookies, its fire and forget, with your friends ? well, you'll never hear the end of it, and rightly so! :D

Keyzer wrote:

[b[Will United finish in the top 6?[/b]

yes they will

dont really seeing how it is a discussion, seeing as you cant name the 5 teams that could finish above them

Keyzer wrote:

Will United finish in the top 6?

yes they will

top 4 might have given you half a chance, but there is no chance i nthe world of them finishing outside of the top 6. damn i wish i had friends like you LOL :D:D:D:D

Keyzer wrote:
    A troll?

Of course its a troll - only reason for this is to rise Utd fans. Wonder who you support :rolleyes:

TheMonster wrote:
    Of course its a troll - only reason for this is to rise Utd fans. Wonder who you support :rolleyes:

I said in my first post "This is not a ManU bashing excercise and I'd like to keep it civil."
    I'm not looking to get a rise out of anyone.

Right, let me clarify...

1. Chelsea
    2. Lpool
    3. Arsenal
    4. Spurs
    5. Blackburn
    6. Bolton

Anyway, the bet was based on Van Nistelrooy staying or going.
    The bet is null and void if he stays and 100 Euro if he goes. If he goes I just can't see where the goals will come from.
    Rooney is a wonderful player but I can't see him getting 25-30, same goes for Saha. Solskjaer is getting on and Smith is defo not a 20-30 goal man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Can't see it happening either. As was said, the transfer window is open til the end of August plus there's another window in January.

Secondly they've got established internationals throughout the team..... Remember Alan Hansen's quote 'You can't win the Premiership with a team of kids'. Well while I don't see them winning the Premiership, the current batch of players (essentially last years squad) will end up finishing in the top four

Keyzer wrote:
    I said in my first post "This is not a ManU bashing excercise and I'd like to keep it civil."

Right, let me clarify...

1. Chelsea
    2. Lpool
    3. Arsenal
    4. Spurs
    5. Blackburn
    6. Bolton

The bet is null and void if he stays and 100 Euro if he goes. If he goes I just can't see where the goals will come from.
    Rooney is a wonderful player but I can't see him getting 25-30, same goes for Saha. Solskjaer is getting on and Smith is defo not a 20-30 goal man.
    By putting the "disclaimer" in the first post you are saying you knew the outcome :rolleyes: Cop on and at least have the balls to admit it.

I like the way Liverpool fans almost know for a fact that Liverpool will finish above Man U this year...I mean you haven't done it in about 15 years, (save 01/02) you thought you'd do it last year but didnt but yet this year it seems to be a foregone conclusion (based on Liverpool fans I've talked to and of course, the OP)

Where does this naievty/optimism come from?

• Advertisement

Keyzer wrote:

Right, let me clarify...

1. Chelsea
    2. Lpool
    3. Arsenal
    4. Spurs
    5. Blackburn
    6. Bolton

you cant see any manu players getting 20-30 goals

who are the bolton players that will?
    how will they get 6th?
    who are the blackburn players that will?

Blackburn have as good a chance as anyone of finishing top 6 again, however,m sheffield united are gonna finish ahead of bolton, imo!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

fade2black wrote:
    I like the way Liverpool fans almost know for a fact that Liverpool will finish above Man U this year...I mean you haven't done it in about 15 years, you thought you'd do it last year but didnt but yet this year it seems to be a foregone conclusion (based on Liverpool fans I've talked to and of course, the OP)

Ah now your first point is wrong!!!

Back in 2001-2002 Arsenal took the title and Liverpool in second with United in 3rd

http://www.spursodyssey.com/0102/fintable.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Trolling thread it looks like, more chance of Chelsea not winning the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I think United can finish second with the squad they currently have but at the end of the day i want them to WIN the league. If they signed viera and Carrick and kept RVN they would stand a good chance of winning but At the minute even if Ruud left United's squad would still better than liverpools arsenals and spurs despite they're signings.

Of the signings Arsenal, spurs and Liverpool have made only a few will have an impact:

Berbatov will score 15-20.
    Palletta will be strong when he settles in.
    Rosicky will do well
    Gonzalez will do well.

This of course is my opinion.

That was nice and civil wasnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

fade2black wrote:
    I like the way Liverpool fans almost know for a fact that Liverpool will finish above Man U this year...I mean you haven't done it in about 15 years, you thought you'd do it last year but didnt but yet this year it seems to be a foregone conclusion (based on Liverpool fans I've talked to and of course, the OP)

Since your a betting man how a wager of the fact that liverpool have finished ahead of united in the last 15 years?infact how we just go back to the 2001/02 season? ;)

you can get liverpool a 9/4 to finish second in most bookies. Thats a fantastic bet i think.

Optimism comes from the fact we finished 1 points behind yous last year.

This season we will have bellamy, gonzalez, Aurielo(sp) and probaly pennant at least in our first 11.

We have have hugely improved our squad.

Have united? So far your squad in worse then last season. Your top striker is leaving, your "star" winger isnt excactly delighted about playing at united. You have a blind man playing in midfield aswell.

Judging by the squads now, who do you think will finish ahead of who?

If united fans say they will definitly finish second then i think thats a cause of naievty/optimism. However since you still have time to make signings i wont come out a say that Liverpool will.

But i certainly know liverpool fans are alot happier with there pre-season then united's are. Do you really think the signing we have made arent good enough to make up that 1 point gap?

TheMonster wrote:
    By putting the "disclaimer" in the first post you are saying you knew the outcome :rolleyes: Cop on and at least have the balls to admit it.

Listen, how many times do I have to tell you ???

I have no bad opinion of United, I actually hope they do well.
    It was a drunken bet. If you have nothing else to add to the thread apart from calling me a troll then p1ssoff and get off my back.

fade2black wrote:

Where in any of my posts in this thread did I say I am a Liverpool fan?

Also, do you remember season 2001-2002, where did Liverpool finish? Get your facts right...

Keyzer wrote:
    Where in any of my posts in this thread did I say I am a Liverpool fan?
    Are you saying you are not?

• Advertisement

I always do that to myself ya know. Yes, apologies, there was that year.

The thing that annoys me most about this kind of crap is that Liverpool are a team that I think deserve to be up at the highest point in English football but there is a sizable amount of liverpool fans who are so pigheaded that they just can't see past themselves. I've had Liverpool fans telling me since the early 90s that next year is the year they'll win the league...and I'm still listening to it today.

And Keyzer, I never said you were a Liverpool fan I don't think.

Anyway, back to the OP...we all do silly druunken bets from time to time and I think you're on to a loser with this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

hi,

Im a Liverpool fan and as much as I would like to see it I cannot see United slip 6 places in the league.

Remember that the team they have is the one that matched us game for game in the run in to the finish.

No way in hell United will finish below 4rth.

Maybe slip 1 spot, might go up 1 spot, slip 2 and the most.

Emmo

TheMonster wrote:
    Are you saying you are not?

Did I say I am a Liverpool fan? No I did not.
    More to the point, no, I am not a liverpool fan.
    I don't support anyone in the premiership.

Nice the way you labelled me a troll straight away on the presumption that I'm a Liverpool fan.

fade2black wrote:
    I always do that to myself ya know. Yes, apologies, there was that year.

The thing that annoys me most about this kind of crap is that Liverpool are a team that I think deserve to be up at the highest point in English football but there is a sizable amount of liverpool fans who are so pigheaded that they just can't see past themselves. I've had Liverpool fans telling me since the early 90s that next year is the year they'll win the league...and I'm still listening to it today.

And Keyzer, I never said you were a Liverpool fan I don't think.

Anyway, back to the OP...we all do silly druunken bets from time to time and I think you're on to a loser with this one.

And united fans are better?

Last year you thought you would win the league and had a good chance in the Champions league. If you sign carrick and defoe i am very confident they will be back to thinking they have a chance of the league this season aswell.

Also it seems united fans thing its a for gone conclusion that will finish second, sure they are nearly as bad as liverpool fans!

And united fans are better?

Last year you thought you would win the league and had a good chance in the Champions league. If you sign carrick and defoe i am very confident they will be back to thinking they have a chance of the league this season aswell.

Also it seems united fans thing its a for gone conclusion that will finish second, sure they are nearly as bad as liverpool fans!

Aye, i suppose it's where you're looking at it from. You're probably surrounded by muppet Man Utd fans who say every year that they will win this and that and to be fair a lot of my mates who are Liverpool fans are fairly decent and unpartisaned ones.

Threads like these ones though are all too common on this site lately.

there's muppet fans everywhere, on both sides unfortunatly. And there definitly is plenty of them on this side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

sure they are nearly as bad as liverpool fans!

The key word there is "Nearly". Nah i'm joking.

In all honesty i dont think liverpool's signings are enough to leap frog United. Not this year anyway. If United continue to slide as they are then maybe soon but i still feel United have enough strength to be able to stay ahead of he likes of Arsenal and liverpool for this year anyway. I think Gonzalez is excellent from what i've seen. Aurellio wont get in the first team ahead of Risse. Bellamy and Pennant arent title winning players. Would Bellamy get a game for United, Arsenal or Chelsea? I dont think so.

The pressure is going to be on spurs this year because they we're excellent last year. Now they're one of the big boys and will have to contend with teams putting 11 men behind the ball. home and away.

From a United point of view i'm not worried about Ruud. Sure he scores 20 goals a year but i saw about 10 or 11 really attack minded and energetic performances from United with him out of the side and i now believe Ruud is no longer mobile enough for Uniteds style of play. I dont doubt his class but he didnt put any effort in last year and wont be missed as much as people think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If United sell Van Nistelrooy and fail to replace him, I believe they will finish outside the top four. Ferguson needs to replace his aging players - Giggs, Scholes and the like but doesn't show any sign of doing so. However, the transfer window is still far away so I wouldn't rule anything out.

Speaking of daft bets, a Chelsea supporting mate of mine offered me 2/1 that Bellamy will outscore Shevchenko this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Keyzer wrote:
    Guys,
    This was based on no signings so far this summer, ageing players, poor players, inadequate back up and SAF loosing his marbles.

Er, fair points.

But we still have one of the best defences in the league. In Rooney, Ronaldo (if he stays) and Saha we've got an extremely potent front line.
    Keyzer wrote:

Spurs, as they showed in graphic style, don't have the bottle. Liverpool could we finish second. Who knows what Arsenal will do. With Cole leaving their defence is in tatters.

If I were a betting man....

1. Chelsea
    2. Liverpool
    3. Utd
    4. Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ha, I hope you got massive odds on that cos it's not going to happen. Even if Utd have a horrific season theres enough average teams there to keep them in the top 6 at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

If United sell Van Nistelrooy and fail to replace him, I believe they will finish outside the top four.....
    Speaking of daft bets, a Chelsea supporting mate of mine offered me 2/1 that Bellamy will outscore Shevchenko this season.

Thats not as daft as sayin United will finish outside top 4. For the first time Bellamy is at a club that will finish in the top 6 year in year out, he's pacey and extremely underratted and will probably play more games then Shevey (one up front Chelsea with Crespo and Drogba still there). Who's to say he'll do that well? Top class okay but he may flop. Forlan was rubbish in Premiership (not comparing him to Sheve) but was top goalscorer in the best league in the world (la liga). Kezman scored all around him in Holland and didnt get a decent chance to perform and looked out of place when he did. stanger things have happened...but not to the degree that 4 other teams or more will out do United in the Premiership which is exactly what you are saying.
    you can get liverpool a 9/4 to finish second in most bookies. Thats a fantastic bet i think.

No where near fantastic? Spurs improving ( though they'll finish max 4th Id gotta say), United will always be there no matter what happens, Arsenal with a fit Henry always have a chance...but what if Chelsea flop at start of season and Pool end up winning it? To say at 9/4 (thats just over treble your money at 2/1) will finish exactly second is a fantastic bet is a bit of a joke (no offence)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Oh no, I agree, what I mean is that it was daft from his perspective. I bet him €75 and stand to get back €225.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Although I am a bit worried by the transfer situation, it must be remembered that United finished last season superbly, better (at least until they trounced us) than Chelsea iirc. That was essentially without Ruud, as he wasn't starting. It was also without Heinze, Scholes and Smith. I'm not saying United will mount any more of a challenge on Chelsea this year than they did last season, but if they can find form they should be on a par with Liverpool and Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's stupid to talk about United finishing better than Chelsea or that if the league had started in October, Liverpool would have won.

For most of the season, Chelsea had little to no pressure on them, there's no way to know how they would have preformed if they actually needed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

Evens Utd to finish outside top 6 you weren't the guy who a few seasons ago put 10000stg on spurs to beat utd at odds of 1/1000 when they were 3-0 up at half time (winnings would have been £100 until Utd scored 5 in the second half). While were at it any more mad/stupid/insane bets anyone has heard of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

If United lose RVN they will be relegated IMO.

Liverpool4eva.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Who gives a fiddlers fuk about finishing 2nd or for United to finish above Liverpool or vice versa, if you don't win the league then you cannot really say that your season has been a success.

United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea always set out to win the league and if they think they are satisfied with finishing 2nd then they are kidding themselves.

Anyones who thinks United will finish outside the top 6 really havn't a clue about football, find 6 teams who will finish above them and you will find that that maybe 4 are possible.
    United as said have the same squad as last season with possibly RVN heading off, a player who was not involved in a good part of United strong finish to the season.
    Chelsea have added serious talent to their squad and personally even this early I cannot see beyond them.

Arsenal - Campbell has left, Bergkamp has gone, Rosiky had one good match during the WC, they finished how far off 1st and 2nd, but will yet move closer to Chelsea and ahead of United this season?

Liverpool - Have signed a number of players who may or may not bring them 2nd place which now seems to be the goal of their fans. Morientes who was a massive failure, along with Cisse who again was a misfit. If Bellamy can keep injury free and his discipline then he could well pull in 20 goals which should move them into 2nd place.

So all in all the only team who may make any improvement is Liverpool and that only into 2nd, if been a bridesmaid in a league is improvement then fair enough, but for those who actually remember winning the league 16 years ago I am sure it is not.

Spurs could not be ignored with the signing of Berbatov so I expect Chelsea to again win the league, who will finish in the next 4 places god knows, prob Liverpool, Arsenal, United, Spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Keyzer wrote:
    Guys,

I'm a manu fan and always defend the club and the manager, but i have being saying this since the end of last season that manutd will strugle this season. When Rooney doesn't play we look ordinary. I'd predict Chelsea to win the league then Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs followed by Manutd :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I'm a manu fan and always defend the club and the manager, but i have being saying this since the end of last season that manutd will strugle this season. When Rooney doesn't play we look ordinary. I'd predict Chelsea to win the league then Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs followed by Manutd :rolleyes:

care to have a wager on that...i bet that united will finish in the top 3!! :rolleyes:

ah the moral of the story is we're all itching to find out who'll go to where (in uniteds case if anyone will) and can't wait for the season to start. United wont be outside top 4 and thats that. Its not impossible but it just wont happen. anyhow cant wait for Celtic v Man Utd tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I heard an Arse fan put 10000 on Milan at half time in the CL (never seen this confirmed tho).

Trilla wrote:

No where near fantastic? Spurs improving ( though they'll finish max 4th Id gotta say), United will always be there no matter what happens, Arsenal with a fit Henry always have a chance...but what if Chelsea flop at start of season and Pool end up winning it? To say at 9/4 (thats just over treble your money at 2/1) will finish exactly second is a fantastic bet is a bit of a joke (no offence)

Sorry. That 9/4 without chelsea. I dont know what the Excact odds on them finishing 2nd is. The closet you will probaly get is forecast of chelsea 1st and liverpool second is 3/1. Again i think thats very good.

Bascially from pre-season signigns and last seasons performances i dont see how Liverpool are behind united and Arsenal as favourties w/o chelsea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement