Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mad bet I made - Discuss

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

i think he a loser full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I won a good bit of money betting on United to win nothing about 5-6 years ago (whenever it was that it happened). Got great odds at the time.

I think they will push for a CL place this year. Yes they have Heinze, Scholes etc back and had a strong end to the seasons without these players - but they also had a poor start to the season WITH these players, so I'm dubious as to how much they will be improved without substantial new blood.

I think Liverpool are a couple of players short of a PL winning team, but should push closer again this year. Arsenal looked like a team coming of age towards the end of last year and with maybe 2 more signings I think could push Chelsea. Spurs are another team I'd think of as potentials - they have lotsof players now who have enough premiership experience to hold the team together. Newcastle could improve if their defence gets its act together.

I'd guess Chelsea will win, with Arsenal/Liverpool battling for second and Spurs/United and maybe Newcastle battling for 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

yop wrote:
    Anyones who thinks United will finish outside the top 6 really havn't a clue about football

Fair point, but the title of the thread was mad bet, mad being the operative word. I was also very drunk.
    yop wrote:
    so I expect Chelsea to again win the league, who will finish in the next 4 places god knows, prob Liverpool, Arsenal, United, Spurs.

By your reckoning you think United, at best, can finish 6th.
    That leaves one place in the league, in your opinion, for them to drop to and then they are out of the top 6.

Kinda contradicting yourself aren't you??
    Or maybe you don't have a clue what your talking about, never mind football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It's not that strange a bet, Utd not to win any trophies is also an interesting one.

It's only a bet lads, what were the odds btw?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Keyzer wrote:
    By your reckoning you think United, at best, can finish 6th.
    That leaves one place in the league, in your opinion, for them to drop to and then they are out of the top 6.

Kinda contradicting yourself aren't you??
    Or maybe you don't have a clue what your talking about, never mind football.

Or maybe you don't have a clue how to count???? How many teams are there?

Chelsea - 1
    Liverpool - 2
    Arsenal - 3
    United - 4
    Spurs - 5

Now if I am not totally wrong my prediction is for United to finish 4th????

So please explain how I am contradicting myself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

While ManU finished 2nd last year, and deserved it over the course of the whole season, I felt over the course of the last few months they were clearly the third best side in the league. And, so far, they've done nothing to improve it. Liverpool who ended the season playing a bit better than the mancs have changed things, presumably for the better.

I wonder will Liverpool have teething troubles initially as they try to fit in the new players. Benitez has been nearly desperate to get a right sided winger, and now he finally has one. Will this mean going to a 4-5-1 formation, with Bellamy up front on his own? 4-5-1 is a formation Liverpool rarely look their best playing. Or will he keep a 4-4-2 formation and relegate Sissoko (a player he really likes) to bit part player.

I think Liverpool will experiment with different personnel and different formations before finding the one that works best. In doing say ground may be lost on their competitors. As has been said above, being the best team for the final 2/3rds of the season means little if you've lost too much ground in the first third. Of course Liverpool fans will hope they can still win while experimenting and while having the odd poor performance.

Arsenal and Spurs finish the top 5. It would be a massive surprise to me if any other team got into the top 5. Newcastle have potential if they get Duff and Owen fit and playing well - but I dont think the manager will prove up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

While ManU finished 2nd last year, and deserved it over the course of the whole season, I felt over the course of the last few months they were clearly the third best side in the league. And, so far, they've done nothing to improve it. Liverpool who ended the season playing a bit better than the mancs have changed things, presumably for the better.

I wonder will Liverpool have teething troubles initially as they try to fit in the new players. Benitez has been nearly desperate to get a right sided winger, and now he finally has one. Will this mean going to a 4-5-1 formation, with Bellamy up front on his own? 4-5-1 is a formation Liverpool rarely look their best playing. Or will he keep a 4-4-2 formation and relegate Sissoko (a player he really likes) to bit part player.

I think Liverpool will experiment with different personnel and different formations before finding the one that works best. In doing say ground may be lost on their competitors. As has been said above, being the best team for the final 2/3rds of the season means little if you've lost too much ground in the first third. Of course Liverpool fans will hope they can still win while experimenting and while having the odd poor performance.

Arsenal and Spurs finish the top 5. It would be a massive surprise to me if any other team got into the top 5. Newcastle have potential if they get Duff and Owen fit and playing well - but I dont think the manager will prove up to it.

which bit of Uniteds form since Christmas did you miss?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Baggot racing are offering 100-1 on a win only Liverpool for the league bet.

Im going to have €20 on it.

Emmo

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Emmo. What exactly is that bet? Liverpool to win the league @ 100/1??? That does not sound right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I made a similar bet last night.

Hadn't read this thread or anything but bet 50 quid with a mate they'd finish outside the top four, got 5-1 odds which I like.

I see the Chelsea, Arse, Liverpool, Spurs thing as well.

I did however insist on good odds as it probably won't happen.

astrofool wrote:
    I heard an Arse fan put 10000 on Milan at half time in the CL (never seen this confirmed tho).

remember this in the guardian at the time, can't remember the exact sum but it was above 10,000.

Hang on....

"a Manchester United fan - Alan Fairhurst - sitting at home in, unusually for United fans, Manchester, deciding that he would rub Liverpool’s plight in well and truly by having a bet on AC Milan. Even though Milan were, at that time, 1/100 to win the game in 90 minutes play, he was going to shell out ten grand - £10,000 – just for the pleasure of being able to say he had backed them to lose, and to pick up a risk free hundred quid in the process"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

Years back I worked in Ladbrokes in London and as a PR exercise they set up bookie offices in grounds around London, anyway at Chelsea pre Abramovich a few lads in the shed (full of Chelsea "Headhunters" not very nice people) started backing Mal Donaghy donkey full back of Norn Ireland fame to score the first goal @ 33/1 they did this every time Chelsea played at home, losing week in week out, but at every game more on more were putting on the bet and then 1 week bang Donaghy gets the 1st goal over 150 headhunters with £5's,£10's and £20's (over £50000) standing outside waiting to get paid and getting angry, poor trainee manager had to direct them to the shops. Anyway word got round and the following week over 1000 headhunters with £5's,£10's and £20's backed Donaghy at the reduced odds of 16/1 and he obliged with the first goal, he was 4/1 the following week, and became a bit of a legend and did seroius damage to Ladbrokes profits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I was planning on backing Man U to finish outside the top four @ 7/1

It's a great price considering the transfer activity and currently team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

yop wrote:
    Emmo. What exactly is that bet? Liverpool to win the league @ 100/1??? That does not sound right?

Went back and looked at it, what a plonker I am. Its 10-1. Its still decent odds.

Its under the offer KOP this.

Emmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I was planning on backing Man U to finish outside the top four @ 7/1

It's a great price considering the transfer activity and currently team.

As it stand United have the same team that finished 2nd last year. They will build on that before the season starts too. A foolish man would back them to finish outside the top four. And to be honest if you invest any of your hard earned in this bet you really shouldn't be allowed near a bookies, for your own safety.

• Advertisement

fade2black wrote:
    As it stand United have the same team that finished 2nd last year. They will build on that before the season starts too.

It's a matter of opinion here fade. I'm not into throwing my money away and make quite a few quid on football betting.

To say it's the same team is somewhat incorrect. RvN is on his way to another club and it's possible that Ronaldo may move. Between the two of them they scored 36 of United's 101 goals last season which really contributed to their finishing position. And before you say Ronaldo's staying, we'll see how well he plays with home and away fans abusing him match in/match out.
    fade2black wrote:
    A foolish man would back them to finish outside the top four. And to be honest if you invest any of your hard earned in this bet you really shouldn't be allowed near a bookies, for your own safety.

Why because you said so? Don't be redicilous. It's far from an outsider bet and I'm still confident that this could happen.

I don't think your in any position to say who's bets are foolish and who's are not. We'll see at the end of the season...

And before you say Ronaldo's staying, we'll see how well he plays with home and away fans abusing him match in/match out.

And fans were blowing him kisses and smiling at him last season before the WC "incident"???

yop wrote:
    And fans were blowing him kisses and smiling at him last season before the WC "incident"???

Manchester United fans loved him but since the "incident" it appears the mood as changed somewhat. You rarely see fans booing there own (Rio last season) but I'm sure he'll get some abuse from the Man U 'not so faithful'.

I have not seen or hear any United fans come out who said they wanted him to leave.
    He will get the same abuse as Beckham did from the Engerlund fans but I cannot see it driving him out.

As it is he is going no where with no bids coming from anyone, only paper talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

personally, i cant see utd finishing outside the top 6.
    i dont see the make up of the top 5 from last year to change, but i do think there will be some positional changes.

i have no idea who will come 6th. i dont think it will be blackburn this year. i think theyve had their 'everton' year, and i cant see then getting another bellamy anytimes soon since the mido deal appears to have fallen through.

who knows, maybe harrys misfits at portsmouth will gel and all those millions will come to fuition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

we'll see how well he plays with home and away fans abusing him match in/match out.

Watch him in the semi final, with all the England fans booing him, he played ok ya know :)
    Ronaldo is staying, Fergie has insisted up on it, and his mum has convinced him.

---

7/1 odds aren't bad on any of United/Arsenal/Liverpool to finish outside the top 4, just because one of them could have a bad season. Personally, I doubt they will, but if anybody does, I'd say it'll be Arsenal.
    That said, I don't think of of those three teams have really improved that much from last year currently.

yop wrote:
    I have not seen or hear any United fans come out who said they wanted him to leave.

You must have blinkers on. I know a few Irish Man U fans who want him out for requesting a transfer. Add the misery of him contributing to Englands WC exit and imagine how the English Man U fans will treat him.

Personally I don't think he did much wrong vs England but I think he's going to get dogs abuse.

You must have blinkers on. I know a few Irish Man U fans who want him out for requesting a transfer. Add the misery of him contributing to Englands WC exit and imagine how the English Man U fans will treat him.

Personally I don't think he did much wrong vs England but I think he's going to get dogs abuse.

When did he request a transfer?? All speculation, some papers reported he wanted to leave, the same papers who said S Gerard wanted to leave Liverpool and Henry wanted out of Arsenal, all paper talk.

He will receive abuse from oppossing fans but not one person in our supporters club wants him to leave, cop on and stop diving yes, but not leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

TheMonster wrote:
    which bit of Uniteds form since Christmas did you miss?:rolleyes:
    The Monster :rolleyes:
    Obviously I missed the bit were they were better than Liverpool!

We're allowed give opinions here, and just giving mine that Liverpool were better than United in the last few months of the season - marginally as I said. I believe league points won back that up as well as it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Every non-united fan was saying the same thing about them last year, that United would finish outside the top-4 for the 05-06 season.

yop wrote:
    When did he request a transfer??

He was quote in numerous different places say that he would like to move to Madrid.

Also, in his interview after the England game he was hinting at a move. YouTube it.

The Monster :rolleyes:
    Obviously I missed the bit were they were better than Liverpool!

We're allowed give opinions here, and just giving mine that Liverpool were better than United in the last few months of the season - marginally as I said. I believe league points won back that up as well as it happens.
    lol - you must have a funny definition of better - I always assumed it was more league points:p

It's a matter of opinion here fade. I'm not into throwing my money away and make quite a few quid on football betting.

To say it's the same team is somewhat incorrect. RvN is on his way to another club and it's possible that Ronaldo may move. Between the two of them they scored 36 of United's 101 goals last season which really contributed to their finishing position. And before you say Ronaldo's staying, we'll see how well he plays with home and away fans abusing him match in/match out.

Why because you said so? Don't be redicilous. It's far from an outsider bet and I'm still confident that this could happen.

I don't think your in any position to say who's bets are foolish and who's are not. We'll see at the end of the season...

You gave your opinion, I gave mine. And if you think Ronaldo is going to be abused by his own fans week in and week out then you really have no clue what you're talking about. All you're going on is heresay and presumptions. Come next year after United have finished above Liverpool again we'll all be having this same conversation again. I get used to it every year now to be honest.

He was quote in numerous different places say that he would like to move to Madrid.

Also, in his interview after the England game he was hinting at a move. YouTube it.
    But did he ask for a transfer as you said? Yes/No?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

TheMonster wrote:
    lol - you must have a funny definition of better - I always assumed it was more league points:p

you said since xmas though? he gave u an answer that blew ur theory out of the water, and then u change the question.

that makes sence

• Advertisement

TheMonster wrote:
    But did he ask for a transfer as you said? Yes/No?

Ok no but I was emphasising the alliangance more than anything else.
    fade2black wrote:
    And if you think Ronaldo is going to be abused by his own fans week in and week out then you really have no clue what you're talking about.

In 3 weeks we'll all know won't we? ;)

I'll get the hat ready with some sweet chilli sauce...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

In the 2nd half of the season:

United got 39
    Liverpool got 38

In the last ten games:

United got 17
    Liverpool got 24

At that stage Liverpool were desperately trying to catch United, and United as always, once the title was no longer possible, just dropped away, as they always do

I'm a nuteral here so hopefully I can give a non biased impression.

AFAIK Ronaldo never handed in a transfer request but very few things are formulised in this way so I don't think it's fair to be pedantic and ask when exactly he handed in the request. He made it known he owuld go and thats enoug . I have no doubts that he would have gone to Barca or Real, hence his nice little quote about them. Barca have Messi and Ronnie so they wouldn't take him and Real have Capello who prefers hard ass wide midfielders instead of wingers. I have no doubt that Ronaldo would have gone to either of these clubs though.

Secondly, even with the Champions League(knock out contest, no always best team) Liverpool haven't had a better season then United in quite a few years. The future does look a lot rosier for them though but they have to deliver. Last years run in means nothing as the league was decided. Despite what some of the fans think this Liverpool team need a long run and good challenge for the premiership to be worthy of most of their accolades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Man Utd to finish 5th or worse??? think about it will ya ffs..

How many points does the average 5th team in premiership get? Its a tleast 8 defeats and bout 14 draws. So what your saying is United wont win over half their games? and even if the gap between top 10 and bottom 10 gets bigger and those figures are a bit out. To say United will be the 5th team in England or worse next year is a joke. Especially with GK, strong backline, Scholes and Solskjaer back, Ronaldo, Saha and Rooney in the squad. Does that sound like the 5th or worse squad??

Trilla wrote:
    Man Utd to finish 5th or worse??? think about it will ya ffs..

How many points does the average 5th team in premiership get? Its a tleast 8 defeats and bout 14 draws. So what your saying is United wont win over half their games? and even if the gap between top 10 and bottom 10 gets bigger and those figures are a bit out. To say United will be the 5th team in England or worse next year is a joke. Especially with GK, strong backline, Scholes and Solskjaer back, Ronaldo, Saha and Rooney in the squad. Does that sound like the 5th or worse squad??

Think Arsenal, start of last season. Obviously they made it but only just.

I'm not saying it's LIKELY that Man U will finish 5th or lower, just possible.

You'd want good odds obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

fade2black wrote:
    You gave your opinion, I gave mine. And if you think Ronaldo is going to be abused by his own fans week in and week out then you really have no clue what you're talking about. All you're going on is heresay and presumptions. Come next year after United have finished above Liverpool again we'll all be having this same conversation again. I get used to it every year now to be honest.

In fairness, I don't see Ronaldo being abused by Utd fans. They were probably the only group that gave Beckham amnesty after the last WC.

To be fair, I'd be of the opinion that the fans harassing Beckham then (and Ronaldo in times to come) will be doing so more out of team rivalry than any real deep seeded unhappiness over his WC antics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Keyzer wrote:
    Guys,
    This is not a ManU bashing excercise and I'd like to keep it civil.

I made a bet, in a drunken stupor, that ManU wont finish in the top 6 this season. This was based on no signings so far this summer, ageing players, poor players, inadequate back up and SAF loosing his marbles.

I see the league being won again by Chelsea, Liverpool coming second, I reckon Arsenal and Spurs will take 3rd and 4th spots. I dont know who else will fill 5th and 6th spot in order for me to win....

Please discuss (in a civilized manner)...

Back at the start of this thread this bet was detailed. Did u know on Betfair you could have got odds of 12/1 against Manu finishing outside the top 6 - you have taken evens with your mate. If he places half of your stake at 12/1and the shock result comes up - he will collect 12 X 25 = 300 euro and pass over 50 euro to you. If they do come in the top 6 you will hand him 50 euro and he will have lost 25 Euro on the bet. He is up 25 euro or 250 depending on the result. Next time you want to place such a bet send me a private message and some advice never mix drinking and gambling.

By the way I couldn't give a monkeys F@$&k about MUFC I am only interested in Football as a way of generating income through betting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

its funny cause he isnt having a go at anyone but the utd fans are still being ultra defensive - in my opinion chelsea, liverpool, arsenal, spurs and newcastle all have a good chance of ending up above utd with a host of other teams who could overachieve or something to that effect leaving utd in some sort of mid table shenanigans - perhaps martin o neill could spur on aston villa to 6th place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Agree with futuredeath ^ :rolleyes:^ it isn't completely out of the question (though backing it at evens was idiocy). I would certainly fancy Utd. to finish in the top 6 though at the very least. But top 4 is not totally guaranteed. United have gone flat and could badly do with a new manager and a fresh start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I will personally offer 9/1 on utd finishing outside the top 4 this season. Min bet 50 euros

just wondering what the OP is thinking re this bet now?

Advertisement