Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advise on debadging

Options
  • 26-07-2006 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Any advise on debadging a car? I don't like the badges at the back of mine, think that they ruin the symmetry of the car and when you wax the car, wax gets stuck in between all the letters.
    From a bit of research I've learned that all I need is a hairdryer and a bit of dental floss to ease the letters off. Does anyone know where I could pick up a decent product (similar to Goo Gone in the States) to remove the traces of glue left?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This came up on another forum I frequent - seems any tar remover or meths should do the trick to remove any left over glue. Thread here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I de-badged mine a couple of weeks ago, and only used a hairdryer on its warm setting.
    I removed the letters/numbers one by one, and there wasn't a sign of glue left. Then gave the car a good wash and wax, and bingo you would never know there was a badge there.

It looks a lot cleaner, and it is easier to wash & wax....

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what's the car, there may be locating holes drilled in the bodywork

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

It's a VW Touareg - from what I've read there's no holes, just glue.

Cheers for the tips lads.

theyre a doddle to get off. ashamed of the 2.5 TDI bit? ;)

• Advertisement

Not at all! ;)

Once I debadge, everyone will think it's the V10, won't they? won't they? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

The turned down exhaust pipes will probably blow your cover ;)

that and the pedestrian acceleration

Yeah, of course, 174bhp and 400Nm of torque... very pedestrian... on bleedin planet Krypton maybe... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

dubstub wrote:
    Yeah, of course, 174bhp and 400Nm of torque... very pedestrian... on bleedin planet Krypton maybe... :rolleyes:

Any pictures of the car? I quite like the Touareg, I was driving a black manual one in work, and a grey and silver auto and I really like them

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

What made you buy the toureg? Is it pass or comm? Ive been toying with a number of SUV's latley and Ive got it down to the Toureg, X5, and the XC90.

No photos yet, will try and stick some up over the weekend.

Yep, it's commercial. It's the best looking of the commercial jeeps out there imo. In fact, I think it's probably the best looking jeep out there, but that is just my opinion. The back windows are privacy glass so no unsightly metal panels covering them.
    Wouldn't have been a jeep fan before it but after driving it for a while and seeing how modern SUV's handle I can see how people wouldn't switch back to a saloon.

Didn't like the X5 coz there's just too many of them on the road, and they are too popular among the soccer moms. The XC90 wouldn't be to my taste at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Went up to Belgard and had a closer look at the Toureg. Very comfortable!! Then went to Stuarts and had a look at the discovery......NO WAY!! Very plastic for the money! If you dont mind me asking what did you pay for the Toureg in the end?

The interior on the Discovery is horrible compared to the Touareg. Got the Touareg commerical with metallic paint, removable tow-bar and park assist for €42,000 inc VAT.
    Seems to hold its value seriously well from what I've seen on the second hand sites.

dubstub wrote:
    No photos yet, will try and stick some up over the weekend.

See if you can do a 'before debadging' and an 'after debadging' for the hell of it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I had a lend of a 3L Triptronic TDI Touareg for a while and fell in love with it, but not the price tag.

Very, very thirsty but worth it in the comfort zone. It had a few of the options on it. Personally I think it is a beautiful looking SUV against the ageing looks of the X5.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

dubstub wrote:

Might be impresive if it wasn't in something that weighs 2.5 tonne. 69Bhp/tonne is probably in Micra league.

Just checked parkers...I am bored and.....

2.5 TDI Touareg 0-60 is 12 Seconds

1.3 lx Micra 0-60 is 11.6 Seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Are there any legal issues with de-badging?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mloc123 wrote:
    Just checked parkers...I am bored and.....

2.5 TDI Touareg 0-60 is 12 Seconds

1.3 lx Micra 0-60 is 11.6 Seconds

There is no current 1.3l Micra and some superminis are only 1.0l and a good bit slower than the current 1.2l Micra but comparing that Micra with the 2.5 TDI Touareg for 0-100km/h only:

Cheapest Nissan Micra 1.2 : 13.5s
    2.5 TDI Touareg: 12.4s (tiptronic 12.9s)

Both are sluggish based on that figure alone. But the Touareg has loads of torque, which matters much more in real life

For anyone in the market for a D4 tractor, a Touareg will be just fine. I still struggle with the very concept of that sort of car never leaving the city centre apart from trips on motorways or national roads, but image-wise, a VW might not cut the mustard and one is to have at least a Range Rover Sport or a Porsche Cayenne to out-do the next-door neighbours, unless they own an X5 or an XC-90, which will still be fine until the 07D plates roll-over of course

When I first set foot in this country, not that much more than a decade ago, 8 out of 10 cars on the roads were bangers. The average car was about 15 years old then as opposed to about 1.5 years old now. Amazing stuff

• Advertisement

Not knocking the Touareg at all just disputed the comment about it not being slow at all. The torque isn't all that high per tonne either, 299lb/ft of torque (its 400nm) works out around 116 a tonne I think and the micra about 96 a tonne...

I do like Touaregs tho'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

unkel wrote:
    There is no current 1.3l Micra and some superminis are only 1.0l and a good bit slower than the current 1.2l Micra but comparing that Micra with the 2.5 TDI Touareg for 0-100km/h only:

Cheapest Nissan Micra 1.2 : 13.5s
    2.5 TDI Touareg: 12.4s (tiptronic 12.9s)

Both are sluggish based on that figure alone. But the Touareg has loads of torque, which matters much more in real life

For anyone in the market for a D4 tractor, a Touareg will be just fine. I still struggle with the very concept of that sort of car never leaving the city centre apart from trips on motorways or national roads, but image-wise, a VW might not cut the mustard and one is to have at least a Range Rover Sport or a Porsche Cayenne to out-do the next-door neighbours, unless they own an X5 or an XC-90, which will still be fine until the 07D plates roll-over of course

When I first set foot in this country, not that much more than a decade ago, 8 out of 10 cars on the roads were bangers. The average car was about 15 years old then as opposed to about 1.5 years old now. Amazing stuff

Since when does SUV comfort have to match saloon car performance? I mean there isn't an SUV to match Subarau Impreza nor would I expect it, similarly there are no saloon to match SUV comfort levels?

All sound svery petty to me? Fewer bangers out there but still plenty of ex-banger drivers!! Sounds like Ex-Banger drivers rule OK?

PS-OP use the hairdryer method to debadge, works a treat!

dubstub wrote:

Ah don't worry, I'm only winding you up. It's no slower than a Land Cruiser or Pajero.

similarly there are no saloon to match SUV comfort levels

I have driven alot of different SUVs, and only the MOST comfortable have been better (in comfort terms) than some particularly bad saloon cars.

On average, a saloon car is far more comfortable than an SUV.....

You must drive some real junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Since when does SUV comfort have to match saloon car performance? I mean there isn't an SUV to match Subarau Impreza nor would I expect it, similarly there are no saloon to match SUV comfort levels?

I dunno, the V10 Touareg 0-60 is 7.8seconds, thats impressive IMO. The Porsche Cayenne Turbo (4.8l Bi-Turbo) is about 5.5seconds...

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The Toureg will be able to pull reallly really big trailers. Maybe ones with loads of cattle instead of just the one.

A Micra would never manage that... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Bond-007 wrote:
    Are there any legal issues with de-badging?

There are some second-hand Japanese Import Toyota models rebadged as Lexus? Is this legal?
    And Why? It looks like snobbery to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I can't see why it wouldn't be legal. The make is still displaed on your tax disk anyway, so it's not like you're trying to hide anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Apart from the fact you drive a 1.2 L!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

there is nothing illegal about debadging. most new cars come without badges aswell as with badges from new. also ya see alot of a4's/a6's with rs kits and rs4/rs6 badges. thats not illegal either.

Advertisement