Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks different in two browsers

Options
  • 26-07-2006 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I am designing this site, total work in progress however some of the colors especially in the banner look different in firefox and in IE6, any ideas why?

www.esatclear.ie/~dbnavan/ass

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Firefox and IE render pages differently. It's a pain in the hole. In fact all browsers seem to render HTML differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Any idea how I can minimise it, banner should be transperent. as it is in firefox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

First of all you have a javscript error in IE

The problem lies with these lines
    <script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript">
    <SCRIPT 
    LANGUAGE="JavaScript"> <!-- Javascripts resource by Hypergurl!! 
    http://www.hypergurl.com --> <!-- hide script begin var m = "Page updated 
    " + document.lastModified; var p = m.length-8; document.writeln("<center>"); 
    document.write(m.substring(p, 0)); document.writeln("</center>"); 
    // End --> </script>

Second, IE does not display transparent png files correctly - use a different format - that is why your logo looks different in IE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Hmm, needs more ass. ;)
    What ph3n0m said really, don't bother with transparency unless you plan on doing something fancy with the underlying body background... just match the colour once you've finalized it.
    You could use a gif with transparency, but there will be jaggies due to the all-or-nothing nature of gif transparency :/
    Personally I wouldn't bother.

Crikey, I didn't realise the company was called A.S.S.! I think you should make the link on the menu say "A.S.S. at work" btw, and always reference them as A.S.S. (not ASS) as it's just too hard to take seriously otherwise.

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote:
    Crikey, I didn't realise the company was called A.S.S.! I think you should make the link on the menu say "A.S.S. at work" btw, and always reference them as A.S.S. (not ASS) as it's just too hard to take seriously otherwise.

~shrugs~ Just building it as to the clients requests, thanks anyway.

dbnavan wrote:
    ~shrugs~ Just building it as to the clients requests, thanks anyway.
    They want it to say "ASS at work" as opposed to "A.S.S. at work"?

Gordon wrote:
    They want it to say "ASS at work" as opposed to "A.S.S. at work"?
    That was the request :)

Hehe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The homepage has a title of "Untitled Document"
    The last full stop in "A.S.S" is missing in the tag line (Don't be an ASS ... call A.S.S) of title1.gif.
    It's a pity that the email address in the graphic is not a mailto link. Nor can it be selected, you have to click or right click on the 'E-Mail' link at the bottom of the page.
    The Flash bit on the right could probably be implemented with an animated GIF file which would remove the Flash dependency.
    Of course, with the text in a Flash movie or GIF file it is not very accessible to disabled users. A text list, with animation provided by Javascript, would be best (and if Javascript wasn't enabled the text would still be there so no loss of info).

Why is there a space in the last 4 numbers of the phone number? "13 77" - a French company ;)
    Most people group the last 4 digits e.g. 087 xxx yyyy

"Click Red button for detail of work" - could that be worded better? Maybe "Click a red button for before and after photographs of our work."

The items (checkboxes and text fields) on the contact.htm page are not aligned.
    Why is the "We Repair" list on the right of that page (and others) have a hover colour change? I expected it to be a link when I saw the background colour change.

• Advertisement

daymobrew wrote:
    The homepage has a title of "Untitled Document"
    The last full stop in "A.S.S" is missing in the tag line (Don't be an ASS ... call A.S.S) of title1.gif.
    It's a pity that the email address in the graphic is not a mailto link. Nor can it be selected, you have to click or right click on the 'E-Mail' link at the bottom of the page.
    The Flash bit on the right could probably be implemented with an animated GIF file which would remove the Flash dependency.
    Of course, with the text in a Flash movie or GIF file it is not very accessible to disabled users. A text list, with animation provided by Javascript, would be best (and if Javascript wasn't enabled the text would still be there so no loss of info).

Why is there a space in the last 4 numbers of the phone number? "13 77" - a French company ;)
    Most people group the last 4 digits e.g. 087 xxx yyyy

"Click Red button for detail of work" - could that be worded better? Maybe "Click a red button for before and after photographs of our work."

The items (checkboxes and text fields) on the contact.htm page are not aligned.
    Why is the "We Repair" list on the right of that page (and others) have a hover colour change? I expected it to be a link when I saw the background colour change.

Not trying to be smart, your criticisms are very valid, but also all very obvious, maybe you missed the work in progress part, or even the fact that is not 'live' on a .com yet, Thanks for the input! Thread was about a specific topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

dbnavan wrote:
    Not trying to be smart, your criticisms are very valid, but also all very obvious, maybe you missed the work in progress part, or even the fact that is not 'live' on a .com yet, Thanks for the input! Thread was about a specific topic.
    Fair enough. As I only had one browser at work (Firefox on Solaris) I couldn't check the colour issue but decided to mention the other things, some I felt should be resolved very early in the development. I'll post again when you're finished ;)

Advertisement