Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Stock Proof" Fence

Options
  • 26-07-2006 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

At the "no going back" point for a site. One of the clauses on the contracts is that I erect a "stock proof" fence within 2 months of closing. The site is a chunk in the middle of a field so no boundary currently on 3 sides.

Its going to be in the region of 160 - 180 metres so it can't cost the earth.

What are my options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iplogger1

sas wrote:
    At the "no going back" point for a site. One of the clauses on the contracts is that I erect a "stock proof" fence within 2 months of closing. The site is a chunk in the middle of a field so no boundary currently on 3 sides.

Its going to be in the region of 160 - 180 metres so it can't cost the earth.

What are my options?
    We were in a similar situation and we chose (based on advice from
    a clued in agri-aware landscaper) to use chainwire or "diamond wire"
    also known in the local CoOp as "motorway wire" and concrete posts.

I had to order something like 9 or 10 rolls of the diamond wire (green
    plastic coated). I also needed to order "bull wire" - 3 lengths (in
    your case 540metres) and some strainers as well as 6 ratchets
    for either side of corner posts and depending on the strain for
    some sections in the middle of the perimeter sections. I also
    had to order enough concrete posts (number escapes me but
    I can dig out the spacing so you can calculate). Corner posts
    were struts ... look like "inverted Ys". I also needed to bring in
    some "leamix" (sp?) concrete because there were some sections
    on the perimeter where we had to build up the height and support
    for the concrete posts. We employed a local man (who was
    excellent and got him ahead of the sheep shearing season ....
    seriously!!!)

Our agri/landscaper friend tells me that I may be even advised
    to supplement this fence with an electric fence on the outer
    perimeter (with agreement from the neighbouring farm stock
    landowner). I'll dig out the receipts and give you an idea
    on cost. It was a more expensive job than I expected but it
    is the right way to do it in my humble opinion.

~ipl

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

iplogger1 wrote:
    We were in a similar situation and we chose (based on advice from
    a clued in agri-aware landscaper) to use chainwire or "diamond wire"
    also known in the local CoOp as "motorway wire" and concrete posts.

I had to order something like 9 or 10 rolls of the diamond wire (green
    plastic coated). I also needed to order "bull wire" - 3 lengths (in
    your case 540metres) and some strainers as well as 6 ratchets
    for either side of corner posts and depending on the strain for
    some sections in the middle of the perimeter sections. I also
    had to order enough concrete posts (number escapes me but
    I can dig out the spacing so you can calculate). Corner posts
    were struts ... look like "inverted Ys". I also needed to bring in
    some "leamix" (sp?) concrete because there were some sections
    on the perimeter where we had to build up the height and support
    for the concrete posts. We employed a local man (who was
    excellent and got him ahead of the sheep shearing season ....
    seriously!!!)

Our agri/landscaper friend tells me that I may be even advised
    to supplement this fence with an electric fence on the outer
    perimeter (with agreement from the neighbouring farm stock
    landowner). I'll dig out the receipts and give you an idea
    on cost. It was a more expensive job than I expected but it
    is the right way to do it in my humble opinion.

~ipl

Bullwire would not be the nicest thing to have around the place, do you have any other options? I assume motorway wire refers to the steel rope type stuff you see on the central meridian on dual cariageways/motorways etc It will need to be strong stuff particularly if the farmer keeps heavy stcok on his land.

I will have to erect a fence along one side of my site next year(85m ish) and I was hoping to go with full concrete fencing as there are normally heavy beef stock in the neighbouring field. I have not priced anything yet but I hope it won't be too dear:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Cork Rebel

Hi,

I had to do the same a couple of years ago.

I used concrete fence posts and chain link wire. There are cattle kept in the field next to me so like yourself it needed to be strong.

Bull wire is a heavier wire that goes from one concrete post to another and then the chain link wire is tied onto this. It doesn't look unsightly you might be thinking of barbed wire

With cattle you might also consider putting a row of barb wire along the top of the chain link as they use the top of the wire to scratch themselves and can flatten the top of the wire. Barbed wire should stop this.

The idea of putting an electric fence seems to me to be a good idea also and will keep them from ruining the chain link.

Last year a young bullock, first time out of the shed ran into one of my posts and cracked it at the base, so be sure and do it right.

Rebel

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

Cork Rebel wrote:
    Hi,

I had to do the same a couple of years ago.

I used concrete fence posts and chain link wire. There are cattle kept in the field next to me so like yourself it needed to be strong.

Bull wire is a heavier wire that goes from one concrete post to another and then the chain link wire is tied onto this. It doesn't look unsightly you might be thinking of barbed wire

With cattle you might also consider putting a row of barb wire along the top of the chain link as they use the top of the wire to scratch themselves and can flatten the top of the wire. Barbed wire should stop this.

The idea of putting an electric fence seems to me to be a good idea also and will keep them from ruining the chain link.

Last year a young bullock, first time out of the shed ran into one of my posts and cracked it at the base, so be sure and do it right.

Rebel

Yep I was thinking of barbed wire :o when I said bullwire wasn't the nicest thing to have around the place. Reason being anything else and the cattle will just use the wire for scratching themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭secman

I got a fencing contractor to do a run of approx 120 metres ( 2 sides only). The farmer insisted I use a contractor, as he wanted it done properly to keep the sheep in. It cost €700 . No cattle only sheep thank God, they are shy and keep their distance unlike the inquisitive cattle !

• Advertisement

We were in a similar position a couple of years ago, 200m of fencing needed.
    Bought 3" and 4" round wooden fence posts and three rolls of barbed wire from local agri merchent plus 2 gates and posts €600.

we nailled the posts in with a digger and streached 4 strands of wire between the posts. see www.dolanbaker.info for our selfbuild diary september 2004 for how we did it.

Only had one "invasion" and that was through another section of hedge (badly) maintained by a neighbouring farmer, tried to eat the house :eek:

Advertisement