Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census

Options
  • 26-07-2006 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭

anyone here involved in the recent census?

the preliminary results show a drop in the population of Greystones since the last one in 2002, which seems impossible to me. I know some older areas of the town are probably in decline due to kids growing up and leaving home, but this should be more than cancelled out by the growth in Charlesland.

Kilcoole on the other hand shows an increase of almost 3000 people, Delgany is also up by over 700 - so is Charlesland included in Greystones, Delgany or Kilcoole for the census?

http://www.cso.ie/census/documents/2006_prelim_table04.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

We must be lumped in with Kilcoole - Charlesland probably accounts for at least 2,500 people (1200 homes with at least 2 people on average per home) and I didn't think Kilcoole had any major developments in the last few years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Little Bobby

Eoins right, I think Charlesland is in the Electoral Division of Kilcoole...99% sure...Wicklow County Council would be able to confirm this...strange that they class Charlesland under Kilcoole though - I would have thought Greystones myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Eoins right, I think Charlesland is in the Electoral Division of Kilcoole...99% sure...Wicklow County Council would be able to confirm this...strange that they class Charlesland under Kilcoole though - I would have thought Greystones myself!

if we are considered Kilcoole then this is a problem - representatives of Kilcoole are now going to campaign for extra facilities on the basis that the population has increased by 3000, when in reality this increase has mostly occured in Charlesland, which is effectively part of Greystones.

EDIT

actually after a bit of googling, this spreadsheet seems to confirm Charlesland is in the Kilcoole electoral district
    this makes the census figures very misleading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Little Bobby

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Thats alarming - good point though.

I wonder what Wicklow County Council have to say about this. My Mate has a cousin who knows this lad whose aunties brothers son is related to this guy who says he knows some lady who is related to the sister of some chap who works there - very reliable - I could have a word ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Not sure if this has affected it significantly either but there appears (to me anyway) to be a tremedous amount of ppl my age (mid 20's+), who have left their family homes in Greystones and bought their first homes nearby in Delgany/Kilcoole/Charlesland. This may have contributed to the changes.

eoin_s, you'll have to rename the forum Kilcoole / Charlesland now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 CathD

Mr. CathD here.

Charlesland is definitely in Kilcoole DED. The DED boundaries can be misleading in one way, as Greystones DED is made up of 2 townlands, Kilincarrig and Rathdown Lower. For example Applewood Heights, Grattan Park, Kindlestown Park, housing estates that would be considered Greystones by anyones money, are in the Delgany DED. The above two Greystones townlands are largely fully developed, and as average house occupancy rates are falling anually, it's not too surprising to see the population count for the Greystones DED falling. Eden Gate would be Kilcoole DED also.

Hope that helps.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

SofaKing wrote:
    eoin_s, you'll have to rename the forum Kilcoole / Charlesland now :)

Jaysus, it was hard enough to get this forum started in the first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Yipper

It's only a matter of time before they redraw the electorla boundaries and then most of us will find ourselves back in Dublin. I say "most of us", coz I 'm sure there are a few individuals of country descent living among us!!!
    It's the height of summer, the Dubs are on a roll.....could be time to dust off the auld Arnotts jersey:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

an recent article in the Bray People (http://tinyurl.com/lbq3g) had Kilcoole councillor Tom Fortune claiming the census vindicated his demands for more facilities for Kilcoole. However when you strip out the increase in Charlesland and Eden Gate, the population of kilcoole probably hasn't increased much at all.

The same paper claimed the population of Greystones was now 16000, not sure where they're getting that figure from though.

Advertisement