Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Accomodation Thread - All Queries Here

Options
  • 13-07-2006 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭

Apparently, so my boyfriend was told by the Accomm Office, no second years are getting rooms on campus this year. It said on the net before that they would be. This is supposedly because the new Roebuck place won't be finished on time.
    He rang up since he was refused 'on campus', even though he's from Connacht.
    Anyone else know anything about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

I know:

- that they're late because, with the strike action going on, the builders missed a window to get concrete delivered or something
    - that it's hoped that they can get 100 of the Roebuck places finished in time
    - that they plan to have the rest of Roebuck ready by the end of September or early October
    - that there's serious pressure being applied by some reasonably powerful people - which is likely to succeed - on the Accomm Office to renegotiate the price for the rest of the people who'll otherwise be getting a month less of accommodation for the same price

and therefore...
    - that your boyfriend would probably have a good chance of getting Roebuck around early October if he gets on the list for then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Thanks for that! Very helpful.
    I wonder if it'll be easier to get a place in October if you waited til then.
    Like maybe for myself, who'd have no chance of getting it normally (I'm from Dundrum).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Hmm, there's a point - maybe if they scrapped the 2nd Year ban then they allowed Dubs back onto Res... there's an idea. In fairness, though, would you really be bothered? It's only Dundrum. People live in rented accomm further away. Don't you drive too?!

Nah, I'm moving out. Anyway, I'll ring the office tomorrow and see what my chances are if I agree to wait til October for a room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Hmm I have yet to hear from UCD, balderdash. Here's hoping they sort it all out soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Nice one SU, you support the strike and now there's no accomadation for 2nd years. Well done. Take a bow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Yes another great example of the union putting the students first:rolleyes: Anyway at least all the bad eggs of union council have gone and I am 100% positive we wont have any of these useless strikes withthe great union we have lined up for next year:)

Pythia if I was you I would tell you boyfriend to ask for the old roebuck as his first prefrence cos he has a good chance of getting a room there.No one ever applies for it.I put down the old roebuck as my first prefrence twice and got it once but then got belgrove too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Hmm, there's a point - maybe if they scrapped the 2nd Year ban then they allowed Dubs back onto Res... there's an idea. In fairness, though, would you really be bothered? It's only Dundrum. People live in rented accomm further away. Don't you drive too?!

only dundrum? Have you SEEN that hill? after a hard day of study that hill is my mount st patrick or whatever its called. :)

Typical this not getting done on time. Although I think everyone felt it was very ambitious anyway. Shame the housewarming celebrations will be delayed!
    Nice one SU, you support the strike and now there's no accomadation for 2nd years. Well done. Take a bow.

very good point. SU seem to prefer defending the common good of the nation instead of doing their job and representing students

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Pythia wrote:
    Nah, I'm moving out. Anyway, I'll ring the office tomorrow and see what my chances are if I agree to wait til October for a room.

To be honest, with the number of people who get rejected from over a hundred miles away, I'd have a serious issue with you, or anyone else from Dundrum, Goatstown, Donnybrook, Mount Merrion, Booterstown et al getting a room on-campus.

I think it's a disgrace that people who HAVE to move out of home to go to college don't get campus when people who could potentially walk do. Even people with a phenomenal daily commute (as many boards members here do) don't get places, when they could do with them in order to get to class on time (theoretically), rather than just wanting to sample a bit of independent student living which is what you propose.

Not a personal attack Pythia, don't take me up wrong. I just think that the way it seems to be working again this year is a bit unfair. A compromise of the better elements of last year and the better elements of when I was in first year would be, well, better, really!

Guys and dolls, for the sake of people's sanity, can we please not make this a pro-/anti-SU bullcrap thread again?

Well from from outside Dublin are hardly likely to want a place in November, or whatever, if they've already signed a twelve month lease.
    The problem isn't local people taking accommodation, it's that there's not enough accommodation full stop.

• Advertisement

Not everybody will, you'd be amazed at how many people will find a room for a month - crashing with friends or indeed relations.

In comparasion to other places we've a decent amount of on campus - i mean ucc has had a huge expansion of campus accomodation (needless to say the vast majority of it isn't on campus) but for years first years weren't even allowed apply for on campus.

We should be grateful we have on campus and it should be there for those who need it most FULL STOP.

UCD seems to be a lot about profit - not about the welfare of its students. I've dealt with the inequality of UCDs policy on people staying on on campus and at the end of the day money will always win the day over students. So more than likely they'll take anyone if they numbers are low enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Well in any case, over the next few years there'll be a major increase in on-campus accomadation. I went to see that campus development plan + there'll be 5,000 on campus res when it's finished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

a friend of mine is repeating in UCD at the moment and has to pay 40 euros per night for student accom. = 280euros/wk. Shes not up all of the time though. I suppose its only fair because it has to make a profit over summer etc, but they should be allowing for people who have to repeat exams etc. You cant exactly hire ahouse for a month. thats a bit crazy isnt it.

As it happened she actually lived there (Merville) during the year and is now paying a hugely inflated rent for summer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I applied for campus this year . Its my third time applying and this year is final year.Has anyone heard back yet if they got campus or not. Ill be pretty pissed if i dont get it this year cause i definitely am not within commuting distance and i have lectures nine to five most days. They should take lecture hours into account as some people can commute if they dont start till say eleven ,while others start at nine everyday.

If you don't get it apply to Glen. It'll be first come first served, and towards the end of the summer, but they give places to final years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Glen is too expensive and you they dont even have ovens in the apartments. How **** is that

Neither will the new accom. I bought a mini-oven when Lidl had them recently, so if I do get the MA, and then if I do get Glen, I have me an oven. Woohoo! Add that to the dryer and freezer I've bought over the years...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Pythia wrote:
    Thanks for that! Very helpful.
    I wonder if it'll be easier to get a place in October if you waited til then.
    Like maybe for myself, who'd have no chance of getting it normally (I'm from Dundrum).

You’re gonna take our on campus accommodation!! NOO you can’t. I’ve got friends from all over Leinster that didn’t get accommodation til later on in the year. They were either commuting (like from Kildare) or kipping on friends couches. There’s a lot of people coming up from Wicklow and you wanna move out of Dundrum… are you mad-cooked meals, clean house and who can remember the “crap no electricity so its cold showers, cereal and no lights (my favourite-starting a fire but then getting smoked out)”

Another thing-UCC’s campus accommodation is about a 15 minute walk from the college and the few near by are about half the size of the UCD ones. But then again I’ve a friend who lives about the equivalent of Bray to Dublin who’s already gotten it… but who goes to UCC besides Cork people…
    Blush_01 wrote:
    Neither will the new accom. I bought a mini-oven when Lidl had them recently, so if I do get the MA, and then if I do get Glen, I have me an oven. Woohoo! Add that to the dryer and freezer I've bought over the years...

Or you could do as our lovely president did and nick a few of the ones they throw out at the start of the year :)

Does anyone know if they still do it by those living further away get preference?

gubbie wrote:
    You’re gonna take our on campus accommodation!! NOO you can’t.

Not my fault if they give it to me over someone else. I'm not gonna feel guilty either.

With all due respect that seems extremely selfish, i'd really be appreciative of UCDs policy if you were to get on campus over me, I mean why should i get it, I only live in Cork, obviously the need of a Dundrum person is far greater than mine.

• Advertisement

With all due respect that seems extremely selfish, i'd really be appreciative of UCDs policy if you were to get on campus over me, I mean why should i get it, I only live in Cork, obviously the need of a Dundrum person is far greater than mine.

Your problem is not with me, but the accommodation office. If I apply and I get it, I'll take it. Don't get annoyed with me. I don't decide who goes in and who doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Pythia wrote:
    Your problem is not with me, but the accommodation office. If I apply and I get it, I'll take it. Don't get annoyed with me. I don't decide who goes in and who doesn't.

It does come down to the fact that if you get it there is one less place for someone who needs it. I have no strong feeling on the subject myself because it doesn't concern me but that attitude is far too common, "It's not my fault because the rules allow me to do it", utter rubbish.

The rules don't allow it - they've stated that noone who lives Dublin County can move on campus (i'm not sure of the situation for disabled students - that's completely different) - you yourself Pythia said that you are in effect going to try and circumvent those rules by offering to wait until october for a room in order to move on campus, that is why I have a problem with what you said.

you yourself Pythia said that you are in effect going to try and circumvent those rules by offering to wait until october for a room in order to move on campus, that is why I have a problem with what you said.

I'm not going to circumvent the rules. But if they say, ok, we don't have enough people to fill the places from outside Dublin, so anyone who wants one can have one, then I'm going to go for it. And most people from the countryside will have already signed a 12 month lease somewhere else, so they couldn't take it anyway.
    And look guys, it's everyone for themselves where this is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Pythia wrote:
    I'm not going to circumvent the rules. But if they say, ok, we don't have enough people to fill the places from outside Dublin, so anyone who wants one can have one, then I'm going to go for it.

... not much chance. Most Dubliners who get (not that theres many) get it after they open it to all but they always come up in the "My friend's from Dublin and she got campus where as my friend from Tipp didn't"

And I can not wait to be able to go back on to campus next year-the commute from Cork to Dublin to go looking is not only long but insanely boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I know people from Offaly, Laois, Donegal, Kerry, and Cork and from other countries and they are forced to take accomodation on the Northside, and places which are nowhere near to UCD. That is a serious pain in the ass for most. I have always been a firm advocate of a blanket ban on people form Dublin taking up campus accomodation for the sake of their drinking/social habits, and i even had it in my manifesto when i ran for union president. If accomodation is only available to those who really need it it will mean they will be able to meet new people and integrate much more into college. Many of them come up to Dublin without knowing anybody and are a long way from home. Forcing them into an environment which may be very lonesome is not right. Campus accomodation should be used as a tool to settle in and integrate, as opposed facilitating a social life for Dubs.

PS Dundrum is a five minite walk from UCD, taking a room would appear fairly wasteful if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Het-Field wrote:
    PS Dundrum is a five minite walk from UCD, taking a room would appear fairly wasteful if you ask me
    Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

If I had the money, I'd be tempted to go after the on-campus myself.

I'm a Dub too btw.

However I will point out that my commute ranges from 1 hour 20 mins (good day) to 2hrs 10(really bad day), as I live in north county Dublin.

This has screwed with my getting as involved with the social aspects of UCD as I'd like to, due to constantly having to leave about an hour or two before those who live on the south side (stupid last dart at eleven...)

However, it would be rather unfair to take a place from someone who lives in say, Sligo or some such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

I really don't think a "blanket ban on people from dublin taking up campus accommodation" is fair either. I live in a west dublin suburb but often started college at 7.30am, but 8am at the latest. (I've just graduated) It was impossible to travel by public transport to ucd for this time. Why shouldn't I have been entitled to campus accommodation? Whether travelling from cork or travelling from dublin living at home was not an option for my course so surely I had as much right to the accommodation as anybody else? Instead I ended up only being allowed apply for Glenomena which was far too expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

Okay what exactly is the problem with Dubliners getting campus? My brother got campus two years in a row and Glenomena in his final year. He actually worked over the summer to pay for it because he didnt want to live at home (we live in Ranelagh). Personally I have four years left on my course, I dont want to move out yet, but I can see myself applying to campus before I finish up.

Why do country people need to live in UCD as opposed to Ranelagh/ Dundrum/ Stillorgan if they are "so close"?

It doesnt have to be any more expensive, and could often be cheaper for them
    Campus is handier than Ranelagh/ Dundrum/ Milltown for EVERYONE.
    There is no shortage of supply of accomodation over this city, especially when compared with places like Galway. This idea that people who live in Dublin dont need to move out of home is ridiculous. Im going to be working in Dublin in 5 years time, should I stay living in the parents attic then too so as not to take up property opportunities for country people? God knows the hassle of househunting is bad enough...

Advertisement