Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Accomodation Thread - All Queries Here

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

IT Loser banned for slander.

Remember people, the college authorities give these boards a once over every now and then, so no slander of college officials/employees/academics.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

karmabass wrote: »
    I'm from Wicklow and on campus.... Feel like a fraud!!

Don't.

Just make the most of it. Campus will take 3 hours off your travel every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Just a few questions, this seems to be the thread to ask them!

What can I expect to pay for campus res? (If I get it!)
    Are there other factors like income/home status taken into account when considering applicants for campus res or is it mostly to do with where you live?
    Much chance of me getting it next year if I head to UCD? I'm from Maynooth

Any thoughts? Thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

€3,952 for Belgrove and Merville for the year, €4,976 for Roebuck Hall. Plus a €350 deposit for each

Distance is the main one, though Disability/Special Needs & "Contribution to college life" (running a society, or something along those lines). As may have been mentioned in this thread if you get an entrance scholarship you'll get guaranteed on-campus, points for that are here

Bugger all chance from Maynooth, I'm afraid, unless one of the above comes into play.

• Advertisement

Guess it's time to hit the books then, spending ages studying for the rest of the year sounds like a nice trade off for no traveling at seven in the morning all next year!!:D

Edit; 575 for engineering science! That's a whole lot of studying! Maybe I should think again...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 theleprechaun

Hi all. I am looking for a place for next septemer ie. 2008/2009 year.
    Had on-campus this year so it is my first time having to look for accommodation in the big bad world so all the help i can get would be greatly appreciated.
    Is there anyone out there who is their final year, or wont be going to college next year for some other reason, that would recommend their place to me?
    I am easy about it. obviously the loser to ucd and the cheaper without being a too rund-down the better. in relation to size, i am not too fussy. some place that will fit between 2-6 people.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

devinejay wrote: »
    Guess it's time to hit the books then, spending ages studying for the rest of the year sounds like a nice trade off for no traveling at seven in the morning all next year!!:D

Edit; 575 for engineering science! That's a whole lot of studying! Maybe I should think again...

PS If you're getting into engineering but not too sure which one to do I'd recommend Omnibus. Its around 515. Plus engineering science is currently 5 years-3 years undergrad, 2 years masters which means your degree will cost you an extra €10,000 then if you did omnibus engineering. Any other engineering is 4 years undergrad and you can do a 1 year masters (which if you get it in UCD you get it pretty much paid for you). Even better if you know what sort of engineering you want to do since the points are lower still

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

This post has been deleted.

Wondering the same- about the situation regarding securing accomodation early :confused:

gubbie wrote: »
    PS Iyour degree will cost you an extra
    €10,000 then if you did omnibus engineering.

€10,000!!! I'm gonna have to look into this further. Every time I think I have made up my mind!!!

I'll start a new thread, tis getting OT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭confusedbaby

looking for a summer accomodation.anyone has something to sublet over the summer?

Wondering the same- about the situation regarding securing accomodation early :confused:

Anyone any info? Really want to try secure accomodation now, but don't know how the process works... Such a thing as an "agreement to lease" prior to the commencment of lease?

Oh and also :(:(:
    daft.ie wrote:
    Sorry, but your search for 5 bed properties to let for less than €2,500 per month near University College Dublin (NUI) yielded no results.

Sorry, but your search for 4 bed properties to let for less than €2,000 per month near University College Dublin (NUI) yielded no results.

Sorry, but your search for 3 bed properties to let for less than €1,500 per month near University College Dublin (NUI) yielded no results.

Sorry, but your search for 2 bed properties to let for less than €1,000 per month near University College Dublin (NUI) yielded no results.

:(:(:(:(

Best way is through people. Like the accomodation I'm in now is amazing. But we only got it because a friend had lived with the land lady before. €500 per month, right beside UCD in a beautiful house. Couldn't ask for anything better.

But looking for people moving out this year is the only chance. No landlord's gonna be advertising their property with 6 months to go, and everywhere near UCD's gonna be snapped up. Don't bother with daft.ie until the summer when things are actually advertised on it

gubbie wrote: »
    Best way is through people. Like the accomodation I'm in now is amazing. But we only got it because a friend had lived with the land lady before. €500 per month, right beside UCD in a beautiful house. Couldn't ask for anything better.

But looking for people moving out this year is the only chance. No landlord's gonna be advertising their property with 6 months to go, and everywhere near UCD's gonna be snapped up. Don't bother with daft.ie until the summer when things are actually advertised on it

Thanks for the advice.. Unfortunatley I don't know a whole lot of final years, but shall persevere...

Thanks for the advice.. Unfortunatley I don't know a whole lot of final years, but shall persevere...

Do you know any people who will be going into final year next year? You forget that they have the opportunity of going back onto campus next year. Thats my plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 theleprechaun

I am looking for a place near UCD for next September 2008 for the academic year 08-09. The person who recommonds me the place that i move into will get a FREE BOTTLE OF WHISKEY OR VODKA from me. So on, please recommend the place you are moving out of if it is good and you will not be staying there next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭MissLe

many postgrads stay on campus? easy for postgrads to get on campus accomodation? any info greatly appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kellyann

Not sure if people are still reading this but i will be a postgrad exchange student for spring semester only and need some help choosing the best residence. i've been told i'm only guaranteed a place if i live in one of the undergrad residences. would i feel out of place as a 23 year old (who still likes to have fun!) in merville, belgrove or roebuck... or do you think i should just risk not getting a place and try for glenomena? any help is appreciated! kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

kellyann wrote: »
    Not sure if people are still reading this but i will be a postgrad exchange student for spring semester only and need some help choosing the best residence. i've been told i'm only guaranteed a place if i live in one of the undergrad residences. would i feel out of place as a 23 year old (who still likes to have fun!) in merville, belgrove or roebuck... or do you think i should just risk not getting a place and try for glenomena? any help is appreciated! kelly

Okay Kelly, I just want to clear up one thing, it's very silly but I'm compulsive about these things. UCD doesn't do terms by the seasons, it's very simply 1st semester (1st week of September to the end of November) followed by exams, then it's the 2nd semester (end of January to the end of April, with a two week midterm break) and exams in May following the bank holiday.

Now onto business, if you are an undergrad, going into 1st year, then it's Merville, Belgrove, Roebuck.... If you are a final year undergrad it's Glenomena, Roebuck (I think), Blackrock, Proby.

Now you're an exchange postgrad, so it's not a matter of being guaranteed a place because of the make-up, it's more of being guaranteed a place based on numbers, but considering you're an exchange student you'll be guaranteed a place but there's a good chance it'll be in Glenomena or Blackrock/Proby, so go for the place that's assigned to your standing as a student i.e. postgrad with postgrads, not postgrads with undergrads, and if in the situation you end up with undergrads it'll be up to ucd, but more than likely you'll end up with postgrads.

Advertisement