Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Accomodation Thread - All Queries Here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 fruitmonster

did u c much there 18AD, me and me mates r thinkin of headin down tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Has anyone who applied for campus accomodation found out whether they got it or not? Im still waiting to hear back from them. They usually tell you earlier than this dont they? Last year i got my rejection letter alot earlier. My deposit is just lying in their bank account (along with everyone elses) earning interest for ucd while we wait like suckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

This should be stickied so we don't have threads every 2 weeks until the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

did u c much there 18AD, me and me mates r thinkin of headin down tomorrow

Not really. There were about 2 places that caught my attention but nothing special. The accommodation office said to head in on the 1st of August to check the billboards. No idea why that date is special but I'll be heading in anyway.

Edit: Doubled

• Advertisement

recyclebin wrote:
    Has anyone who applied for campus accomodation found out whether they got it or not? Im still waiting to hear back from them. They usually tell you earlier than this dont they? Last year i got my rejection letter alot earlier. My deposit is just lying in their bank account (along with everyone elses) earning interest for ucd while we wait like suckers.

Yeah. I got my rejection :( letter at least a week ago. Although the reason was they weren't taking second years, so that may have been a quick filtering for me.

Do you know when you can reapply for the new Roebuck complex thing which isn't finished yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Woot, got a large room on Roebuck Road, about as near as you can get to UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

roebuck road is good, i live there! well just off it.

anyway, far as i know theres still places available in glenomena and the new (opening date tbc) roebuck residences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

There had damn well better still be places in Glen, lots of people haven't got their MA offers yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭pFd

OH NO! i'm never going to get a house that i can afford! :(
    i hate this. i keep looking on daft.ie every 2 minutes and theres nothing that i can afford.
    is €450 to little to expect to pay a month because it seems like a fortune to me.
    we need something for 3 males ( btw, ppl sud NOT be allowed to ask for "girls only" on advertisements, its f*ckinh discrimination. yes, some boys might be dirttier than the average girl but we are really really clean. i hate living in dirt!)
    anyway as i was saying, we need a house for 3 males within walking distance to ucd. is this too much to ask for...?
    please please help me, i dont want this year to turn out like last year ie: a lot of tears and depression due to the fact that everywhere we looked at wasnt fit for rats to live in and they were miles away from ucd we were first years last year and didnt have a clue of dublin. we're from Monaghan town so commuting isnt an option.
    anyway any help/words of wisdom/experience would be very much appreciated.
    thanks everyone.
    aw, feels good to get that out its been building up for a few weeks now.

• Advertisement

pFd wrote:
    btw, ppl sud NOT be allowed to ask for "girls only" on advertisements, its f*ckinh discrimination. yes, some boys might be dirttier than the average girl but we are really really clean. i hate living in dirt!

think it might be illegal to advertise for just one gender. It's illegal in some US states anyway. But they're mad over there.

And I've often found that guys are neater than girls to live with. When I'm living with groups of people, it really can suprise me the level of dirt and mess that a girl can be happy with. Guys tend to be a bit neater. It's wierd.

450 doesnt seem like an unreasonable amount, a friend of mine was paying 380 a month for a single room, in a 4 bed house with 3 bathrooms in Roebuck castle, right beside UCD last year.

I haven't payed over €400 for somewhere to stay in the three years I've lived in Dublin, but I've had 12 month leases. The more people you have, the better chance you have of getting somewhere affordable. It also makes bills smaller. Three can sometimes be an awkward number to find a home for, unless two people are willing to share.

Just one second...

There's currently a place on Roebuck Rd: 2 bed - 1 twin, 1 small single; €1200 per month. 1 year lease. Been up for 4 days though, so it may just have not been taken down.

Looks like that's the only one within your price range under the college search. Try the 46a route. Having lived almost an hour from college for the past two years (annoying when paying rent!) it's not that bad. Gives you time to catch up on some reading for class.

Thanks for the replies guys. i really dont understand where/how people find places less than 400/month. why cant i???
    ive already done the hour bus journey to college in the mornin and im a little fed up with buses. id like the option of being able to walk home or get a bus.
    i was also sharing last year and although it wasnt too bad fromm time to time you'd like to have your own space and privacy for certain things.......
    so, hoping to get a single room not too far from ucd.

Another question, when is the best time to look for houses? im on daft every2 mins and theres not that much available yet. i keep saying to myself the reason for this is because its too early. Am i fooling myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 annettemc

I will be staying on campus from September next but I dont know where to apply to stay.Where is good? Where is bad? Any no-nos????Advice desperately needed...xxx

Purely based on personal opinion, Merville is nicer, but Belgrove is better craic but seems to have a layer of impenetrable grime welded onto all hard surfaces, I have no idea what the story with Roebuck is. If you're a Postgrad or final year student, Glenomena all the way. There is an awful lot to be said for not having to share a bathroom.

What do you specifically need that would sway your decision as to where you'd like to live?

Also - do they not just allocate res? I didn't realise there was much choice involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Llama

So, speaking as someone who has never even been to Ireland before and is about to find themselves tossed into Belgrove..anybody know anything about what the dorm is like?

Mind you, coming from Emory where I was in a tiny cinderblock room with one other girl, two beds, two dressers and a sink (the bathroom being down the hall to share with 16 girls-and I'm not even going to mention the state of the, erm, 'fragrent' boys half of the hall *shudder*) it can't be worse.

But I was bassically wondering if anybody knew how genders were divided up (co-eds the norm here), what size linens the beds took, if rumors of cooking areas were true, and bassically if there were anything worth knowing that anybody might feel compelled to pass on.

Thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 nursebetty

Elmyra says theres still 1 room left in her place 4 100e a week if anyone wants to pm her about it. Its n dundrum n strictly 1 yr lease. oh n she also says she misses ye n shes sorry for bein bold.

Belgrove's grand. Definitely sounds better than the place you were in, Llama. As far as I know (it's always been the way in any of the res I visited in Belgrove) each apartment is single sex, but the buildings are mixed, so the individual apartments are all male or all female, but out of the six apartments in the building, you could have three guys and three girls apartments etc.

There are only a few twin rooms, most of them are single. Standard single sheets will fit them, most people go for a double duvet though - extra cover for whoever's sharing with you, or just better snuggle-factor when it's really cold.

The reception for the tv and for mobile phones can be horrific. You may end up leaning half way out a window on the third floor in order to make a phone call. But as long as you don't drop the phone, you'll be fine. Plus, there's usually something going on somewhere, so you won't need the tv most of the time.

But you'll be close to your laundrette, and you'll almost literally be able to fall out of bed and into the Arts block or library, which are kind of in the centre (ish) of campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 fruitmonster

whats an expected rent for a single room, i've been told between 400 and 520 which seems like a wide gap. if i see something now at 500 am I better waitin for something cheaper, like 400 or below.

It depends on how close to college you are. It also depends on how lucky you get. For the last two years I commuted for almost an hour because I was only paying €325 per month for a gigantic single room, which was pretty damn good. I know other people who had rooms half the size but payed €500 per month for living in Stillorgan. Luck of the draw and standards have a lot to do with prices!

€500 for close to college isn't that out there, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭postgrad

I applied for Glenomena. What size are the beds there? Single, or double? WOndering what sheets/duvet to get as well.

guys, can any1 tell me if rathfarmham is close to ucd. chow long would it take walking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

The beds in Glenomena are single beds. A duvet and pillow are provided but sheets, pillow-case and duvet cover are required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Apparently those who applied for campus this year wont find out if they got it for another two weeks. This is rediculosly close to the start of term seen as we applied at the beginning of May

I know someone who has four rooms that she needs to fill soon, does anyone fancy living near UCD, the dundrum shopping centre, Luas, lots of nice people and fun and stuff? PM me and I'll give you her number. It's €100 per week!

pFd wrote:
    guys, can any1 tell me if rathfarmham is close to ucd. chow long would it take walking?

Depends where in Rathfarnham. I'm on Butterfield Avenue and it would take about an hour to walk, at least. A lot of my friends cycle which would cut the time down a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'm hoping to move into on-campus accomodation next year, assuming I get a place in UCD, and a friend of mine is trying to find homes for kittens. Does anyone know if the residences have a policy on pets, and what it is?

i would be amazed if they let pets on campus, never mind accomodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Raphael wrote:
    Does anyone know if the residences have a policy on pets, and what it is?
    Policy is No Pets. Period.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Yeah I figured as much. Thanks.

Advertisement