Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Accomodation Thread - All Queries Here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

That had me fubarred for ages as well.
    What did?

Update: :eek: My opinion of Hulla's ability to deal with legal documents has taken a serious blow!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

irlrobins wrote:
    What did?
    I'm definitely not on the ball today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

A few questions about glenomena - no oven? how much is the bill for energy roughly (it says per usage), how good is the wireless connection and is it still on the ucd network - as in can you go on sites blocked by ucd, eg poker sites?

Thanks

No oven. You learn to live with it or buy your own mini oven. It's not a big deal like some people make out.

Energy costs can be pricey. Learn how to use the storage heaters properly, don't have the hot water on for more than you need. (I used to go into apts with hot water probs and see that they had immersion clock set for 8 hours solid :confused: ) In winter costs could be 10e-15e a week per person, drops off as you use less heating. Make sure you set up a system of everyone taking turns to buy the cards. Saves arguments later if someone isn't pulling their weight costwise.

Wireless network is the exact same as throughout UCD. So all traffic goes thru proxy, no P2P, online games, etc.

Edit: correction

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

irlrobins wrote:
    My opinion of Hulla's ability to deal with legal documents has taken a serious blow!
    There's no way in hell you could call that a legal document. No way.

• Advertisement

As in it's a bit dodge? Yea, prob right there. Bit of a joke really.

It's not that it's dodgy, it's just horrifically drafted. I had some of the finest minds in Bank of Scotland trying to work it out at one point. The best they could come up with was, "take tomorrow morning off work and go into them". I wasn't going to argue with that.

Well I thought the bits where you had to sign were straight fwd. First Part=Foster Residences (Glen management), Second Part=UCD, Third Part=You, Fourth Part=Your Guarantor.

Pretty easy after that.

...And then at the bottom, UCD is the First Part, you're the Second Part, and the guarantor is the Third Part. Very confusing. I know you agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

irlrobins wrote:

Wireless network is the exact same as throughout UCD. So all traffic goes thru proxy, no P2P, online games, etc.

bah, there goes my income during the year:mad:

thanks

• Advertisement

...And then at the bottom, UCD is the First Part, you're the Second Part, and the guarantor is the Third Part. Very confusing. I know you agree.
    mmm Well looking at the last one I had it wasn't like that. Sounds like they fecked up this years one. In which case :confused: all round I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Meh, i cobbled mine together before - don't think I actually filled it out correctly or if i did it was by accident - either which way they dont' really care as long as they have it on file for the audits - as I learned when i got second copies of everything when I never handed my licence in in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭James_sb

irlrobins wrote:
    No oven. You learn to live with it or buy your own mini oven. It's not a big deal like some people make out.

Energy costs can be pricey. Learn how to use the storage heaters properly, don't have the hot water on for more than you need. (I used to go into apts with hot water probs and see that they had immersion clock set for 8 hours solid :confused: ) In winter costs could be 10e-15e a week per person, drops off as you use less heating. Make sure you set up a system of everyone taking turns to buy the cards. Saves arguments later if someone isn't pulling their weight costwise.

Yeah, I hear that no oven thing is really not that big a deal. I only ever used an oven on campus the odd time for pizza, or if i felt like grilling something. I just got a george forman now. If you want to do a pizza, just fold it and stick it in the forman!

Is it that much for electricty?? In belgrove (admittedly we were the cheaset appartment two years running) I never paid a 2 monthly bill of more than €35. So as there's 6 people here and I think it's mixed, so 3 girls with hair dryers and straighteners etc.., I was hoping to only have it at €100 a month or less, or me paying roughly €16 a month on electricy. Even at that, it's €150 for just me for the year, and i'm the poor student type, not one of these car driving people..

So am I totally off the mark? Anyone who lived in Glenomena before, what's it like?

Mmm, I lived in the Glen for three years so I reckon I know what I'm talking about. :p

As I said in winter the heating just eats elec. And you tend to get more foreign students in Glen cos it's postgrad. A lot of them are used to warmer climates and think nothing of having heater in their room on 24/7. But during spring/summer the costs drops hugely. A 10e elec card can last the apt two weeks easily.

If you're lucky enough to get one of the new Glenomena buildings, it will be gas heating. A lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭James_sb

Aye, cheers... Didn't think of that foreign student thing. I only heard it was mixed recently. I'm soo used to Belgrove.

And i wasn't saying nufing :-( (How the hell did you get it three years?) Was just disbelieving it could be as much as 10-15 each a week! But thinking about it, considering what we pay for other things in general, electricity is cheap for the benefit.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Found out my friend got Glenomena, and she lives in Sandyford! Must have been trouble filing spaces this year. She's 3rd Arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

thats good to know bout the gas heating cause i got one of the new ones!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

first year student here, trying to book accomodation online but everytime I put in my CAO number it comes up "Invalid User ID/PIN". Anyone know how I can avoid this??? btw, number and password are correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

first year student here, trying to book accomodation online but everytime I put in my CAO number it comes up "Invalid User ID/PIN". Anyone know how I can avoid this??? btw, number and password are correct!
    Short of making sure that the PIN you're using is done properly (your birthdate in DDMMYY format) I'd think that it's probably only enabled to those from whom UCD have received a CAO acceptance from. Just an idea; I could, as is usual, be proven very wrong. ;)

i've accepted my offer though...

• Advertisement

ok, rang them up and they said it'll be easier to just print out the form and send it to them!! Thanks though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Pythia wrote:
    Found out my friend got Glenomena, and she lives in Sandyford! Must have been trouble filing spaces this year. She's 3rd Arts.

There not cos I was in there the other day and you cant apply to glenomena anymore...the bookings have closed!!Cant believe it as me and all my friends who got it last year just presumed we'd have no problems with getting glenomena.Last year they had to take out an ad in the paper cos they couldnt fill the rooms but know there all gone!!!!oh noes!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

I havent got any response regarding my applicationfor accomation, I should be entering 3rd Arts this year. Did having to repeat an exam affect my application or something?:confused:

Hasn't affect any of my class who are repeating - we're all going into 3rd radiography though so slightly different - best bet is to ring Accomodation office and ask - they will generally try and tell you from my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

Been ringing the numbers listed on the website all morning and can't get through, they keep diverting me to nowhere.

Eh i know the merville number one is on this thread somewhere - that's the number to contact really - they'll be best in line to help although they are probably also overun with 1st years with the offers out and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

*mumblegrumble* Won't hear anything until tomorrow or wednesday. And as I'm homeless as of thursday week the optimism of the woman in Glen is simply not enough to buoy me up. Although if I do get it, I'll get the new Glen. Pah on gas, it's going to double in price half way through the year. Although having had it for three years for heating purposes, it is toastastic.

If I don't get Glen, anyone who has it can buy my mini-oven from me. BNIB. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

irlrobins wrote:
    If you're lucky enough to get one of the new Glenomena buildings, it will be gas heating. A lot cheaper.
    I'm not so sure. The "energy deposit" payable for next year is €290. This appears to be aprox 30% more expensive than the card system - on this years prices. In fairness, it is a deposit, so anything left over will be returned, i assume.
    Somehow i doubt i though, seen as gas is set to rise 30% in November...
    Pythia wrote:
    Assuming she is final year - all final years are almost garanteed a spot in Glenomena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭joxer05

hi im off to ucd in 2 weeks and i have applied for on campus accomodation. i got a scholarship for business and legal studies. does anyone know how good my chances are to get the accomodation. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I never got an email or a letter either accepting or rejecting my application. How did those of you who were accepted / rejected get notified. I cant get into the accomadation office since Im in america, who can I ring / how can i get in touch. Are all the offers made by now (im a third year)?

Advertisement