Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can anyone identify this ?

• 26-07-2006 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

I live in Meath and was out in a field last week, when I saw an insect that looked a bit like a wasp, but it wasnt. I managed to take a picture so you can examine that.
    The insect seemed to be completly hairless, its skin looked more like a beetles skin, hard and black and as it flew it didnt make any noise. I found it on a tree in the middle of a field, it seemed to be interested in the holes in the tree, after looking around on the web I think it may be a "paper" wasp but I'm still not sure as the colouring seemed all wrong.

So any ideas ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Hello, Muineach.
    Possibly a hornet........ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Muineach

Yea I was looking at them last night but I'm not too sure, i probably should have mentioned that the "wasp" was smaller than a normal wasp, about 50% the size of it.
    From all the pictures of hornets I havent seen one where the back of the wasp/hornet was a similar shape, with the one I found it starts off very small, then bulges out and then tapers off, and I havent found anything that looked like that.
    As for the markings the closest I came up with was http://www.vespa-crabro.de/baldfaced/baldfaced.htm
    but that type of hornet has hairs which mine did not have.

Then again it probably is a hornet but one which nobodys put on the web :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Muineach wrote:
    but that type of hornet has hairs which mine did not have.
    Maybe it was just coming back from getting a "Brazilian". :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Muineach

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

sorry to interupt the Brazilian train of thought u guys, but I think it is more possibly a wood wasp. Hornets are big frightening things can be 2 inches long and more yellow and wasp like. We get a sort of wood wasp in the local woods (amazing but true).

Julie
    www.enjoy-our-hospitality.com

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I haven't a clue maybe wood wasp but if you e-mail your picture to info@biology.ie you should get definite identification..

artieanna

Advertisement