Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Playing HD From PC to TV

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Ya i know thats just a card to output the video.

Im gonna get one to output first then in a few weeks il get a
    capture card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

OK then let's start again here

Firstly that card is PCI-e, if your PC isn't that new then the chances are that it will have an AGP slot, and this card isn't compatible.

Secondly, if your PC is oldish then it mightn't be up to decoding fullscreen material at 720p.

Thirdly this is all changing with h.264 which will be new new video standard. ATI and nVidia are (sort of) adding hardware decode abilities to their new cards. All the new HD stuff is going to be in h.264.

Only a modern top end machine is going to play BBC 1080i material for instance. I have a dual core 4800 with a 7800GTX and it's just about ok (but it still drops frames)

Its only about two years old.

Pentium 4 2.66ghz 512mb of ram.

Should that be enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

ricey wrote:
    Its only about two years old.

Pentium 4 2.66ghz 512mb of ram.

Should that be enough?

It should be able to play PAL resolution mpeg2 no problem, it should also have no problem with 300ish line divX/Xvid. If you have a nice new DX9 compatible grahics card then a lot of the scaling up to the full screen resolution is handled by the graphcis card, and yes a 6600GT should be fine for that.

I don't really think it would be up to playing proper 720p/1080i HD material though. Also it's probably not PCI-e, I'm not 100% on the dates but is feels too early and is most likely AGP.

So basicly no matter what i can play hd files on myn tv from
    my pc at full res? Can anyone else comfirm this not that i don
    trsu you pH but im just pissed if i cant...lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

andy1249 wrote:
    Capture what ? It wont capture HDTV ... just so you know , the capture is for analog sources only , if you want to record HDTV off the TV or record anything of the TV then you are going to need and TV tuner card like a PVR500 , thats a different animal ,

The video capture on the likes of the Vivo cards is for capturing analog video like off an analog camcorder or some old Vcrs etc , they are not nearly powerful enough to record live TV.

just a warning to the original poster, not sure if you know this or not, but the pvr500 will NOT capture HD. no analog capture card will. your only option is to try and record the stream before it gets uncompressed

Advertisement