Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internship/work experience in China

Options
  • 26-07-2006 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm interested in working in China for a work placement, as part of my college course.

My question is, has anyone worked in China or do they know any organistion that recruits english speakers to work in their Chinese operations. Preferably I'd like to work for a financial services organisation.

I can hold a conversation reasonable well in Chinese, so hopefully the language barrier wont be much of a problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Samhildanach

Hey

I've been living and working in Shanghai for the last 3.5 years. Trying to get your foot in the door of a Chinese company is very tricky - everything here works on 'Guanxi' or networking. You basically have to be introduced by someone working in the industry - most foreigners when they come here start off by teaching English (while making contacts among the Chinese students) before moving on to a better job.

If your aim is to improve your Chinese language skills then you will have lots of opportunities to vastly improve while here, you might think that's obvious but the majority of foreigners end up living with other English speakers and don't get to practice Chinese often.

I would definitely recommend coming here as the business culture is very different to the West and you need to be in this environment to learn by experience.

Here are some useful websites to look for jobs -

www.asiaxpat.com
    www.thatssh.com
    www.shanghaismart.com

Shanghai is the business center of China so if you're looking for more business opportunities/contact you should start here.

PM me if you want for more details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Samhildanach

... almost forgot, many Chinese companies won't hire foreigners because they have to pay them a higher salary (expat package etc.).

As I said come here on a teaching contract and then look for a job in your area while working (again students can be a very valuable network as most of them are studying English at night while working during the day). It is not uncommon for teachers to find jobs in their chosen field through student introductions/help.

Oh and you can live a great life here very cheaply!!! Lots of benefits - great nightlife, excellent food, 70 cent DVDs, 50 cent CDs. The only thing that is expensive is rent - but you can cut this down by sharing.

Advertisement