Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

IBC japan

Options
  • 26-07-2006 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Anyone here used IBC for importing Jap cars? was looking at the auctions. Some good deals to be had.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Some deals to be had but remember that you have to pay VAT and then VRT on all of that aswell!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

haven't dealt with them myself, but anyone who I have talked to have said nothing but good things.

TBH you will get a more genuine deal from IBC than some dealers here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭[V3]

Whats IBC?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭MunkyHed

Its really addictive, i've been looking at the auctions non stop all week. I heard a story about a car that arrived at port in England and got stripped of all its alloys, radio and CD changer. Don't know if that was IBC though, may have been a different import company...

@jonny24ie I knew about the VRT payment alright, that can be very saucy but i honestly didn't know about the VAT payment as well, this feckin country is such a rip off. Was lookin at a '03 golf Rs32 for about 15K Euro.. imagine what that would cost from a dealer here.

@[V3]
    IBC Japan - Jap import auction site.. google it, sign up (free) and check out the auctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Are you sure you have to pay VAT as well as VRT on Japanese imports, the VRT website says you "might" have to?

And another question, when your car arives in Dublin port how do you get it home. I expect you cant go out there and drive/tow it home in person?

• Advertisement

blobert wrote:
    Are you sure you have to pay VAT as well as VRT on Japanese imports, the VRT website says you "might" have to?

And another question, when your car arives in Dublin port how do you get it home. I expect you cant go out there and drive/tow it home in person?

It looks like you'd have to pay the VAT alright but there's no answer set in stone. Anyone in the know here??

Why wouldn't you be able to drive it home? Just get it registered straight away and off ya go!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You don't pay Tax in Japan so when it lands here customs ring you and you pay VAT on it then your VRT!! Vrt is a tax for registering the car and not the VAT for the car if you get what I mean??

YOu can drive it in person as long as you are insured to drive it, go straight to the VRT office and register it and you are grand!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

blobert wrote:

You have pay 12% duty on the total invoice price, then you have to pay VAT on the grand total. No you can't drive it away. Needs to be trailered or on a garage plate

jonny24ie wrote:
    YOu can drive it in person as long as you are insured to drive it, go straight to the VRT office and register it and you are grand!!!

Bum steer there. The car has to be registered to be driven on public roads

zuutroy wrote:
    Bum steer there. The car has to be registered to be driven on public roads

I have mates that have imported and rang the gardai about the situation and they were able to drive it straight to the VRT office as long as theri insurance covered them on it!!

If you bought and english reg car but was still on english plates then its the same thing!!

• Advertisement

Fair enough, but by the letter of the law it's illegal, though far easier to get away with for a car on English plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Slinky>

I seen 3 japanese cars 'fresh off the boat' on the road between Dublin and Galway last Friday none of which had number plates, THe last time I did it we drove straight to the VRT office from the docks and VRT'd them but seems like some people arent bothering!

Be warned the car may need tyres, brakes and battery before driving it anywhere , they could be laid up for months/years in Japan before coming here so make sure you know what your doing before driving it on public roads

I know of people who have gotten a lecture at the VRO for driving the car straight there, and have been threatened with Gardai being called!

zuutroy wrote:
    You have pay 12% duty on the total invoice price, then you have to pay VAT on the grand total. No you can't drive it away. Needs to be trailered or on a garage plate

Whaaaaattttt!!
    You have to pay 12% duty
    Then 21 % VAT
    THEN VRT

Thats a load of boll%£$, three different taxes on one car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

MunkyHed wrote:
    Whaaaaattttt!!
    You have to pay 12% duty
    Then 21 % VAT
    THEN VRT

Thats a load of boll%£$, three different taxes on one car?

News update.

You pay duty and vat on all goods from outside the EU.

Those shoes you are wearing was charged Duty and Vat, its the VRT thats illegal.

Advertisement