Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decorating the Nursery

Options
  • 26-07-2006 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have some creative ways of furnishing the baby's nursery?

I figure we'll have a cot, a changing table and a set of drawers in the nursery. Basic, but fully practical. We don't have much room, and I can't stand having clutter, so we'll be minimizing the amount of "stuff" we have.

As for the cot, we'll probably purchase that for safety's sake. My hubby is an experienced carpenter, however, so he's probably going to make the set of drawers and changing table. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I've thought of using some simple wicker baskets or a plastic tower (you know the kind with drawers?), but I'd prefer something that'll last through this (if not the rest) of my pregnancy. The bottom line is that we're doing this to save money, and I know there are creative folks out there who may have ways of doing this in an attractive and practical way.

Any ideas you have would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Leax

If your husband is a carpenter he could make drawers beneath the cot for storage probably? Have you built in wardrobes? they tend to maximise the space and can have different combinations of hanging space and shelves. Your set of drawers can also double as a changing table, with an inset or raised edge on top for changing mat. I am a big fan of shelving to save space, particularly out of range shelving that the kid won't be able to reach once mobile, also rules out the possibility of kids pulling shelving units or other furniture down on top of themselves. Shelves can be different depths depending on what you are using them for, for example you could buy a load of storage baskets (your wicker baskets?) and keep them up on the shelves, making the look clean and neat but practical and efficient too. Shelving over the door is another way to maximise space and store things you use infrequently. Also a narrow shelf over the area you plan to have the changing table (out of reach of grabbing hands) is dead handy for storing lotions and potions).

hope some of that helps.

in terms of decor am thinking of these stickers myself :
    B0002C6EXS.02._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1129993324_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

Lino is best for the floor - agree with shelves - much handier - not sure about baskets stuff is in and out so frequently I don't think it's worth the effort. Comfy chair for feeding, bedside lamp with low (15 watt) light bulb for the nightshift. Put it on a timer so you don't have to remember it and the light will be on for you all the time.

If you have the space/plumbing skills a large whb in the room is brilliant for washing and changing.

Chose a south or west facing room if possible. Avoid north facing (colder).

Murals and fancy stuff are fun for parents but not really necessary.

Advertisement