Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going Camping with the Kids

Options
  • 26-07-2006 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Does anyone know anywhere nice to go camping with the kids (aged 5 and 4)? We're based in Dublin but could drive up to a few hours away. We only want to go for a night or two, but we especially want to avoid anywhere that'll be full of young yobs and the like. Somewhere with nice scenery would be especially nice.

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Achill! Maybe a little too far away though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

We took ours to a campsite and carvan park in wexford will dig out the name of it way down the bottom of wexford near the hook light house.
    It had a wonderful play ground which kept the kids happy for hours and was nice and very family orinented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Head out the M1 towards Longford the 1st lake you see there is a farm with a forest and some hills, be nice to the owner and he will let you camp there. It seems open but once you go around the lake it becomes the middle of nowhere.

I throw him a few quid each time and its handy theres some fencing you can camp behind so kids cant near the water in morning.

Great spot , would be even better if i had a small boat. I also get a lift down :p so will get more accurate directions later in the week :D

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

Kilbroney Forest Park - Rostrevor, Co Down. Share Holiday Village in Enniskillen. Redcross and Hidden Valley in Co Wicklow - bit of a drive to Brittas Bay - but not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Thanks for the help everyone. I think the ones in Wicklow and Down could be quite suitable.

Thaedydal, is it Ocean Island in Fethard-on-Sea you're thinking of? That could be the best of the bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭oulu

I know larch hill is a place where scouts go, up pass rockbrook dublin 16, wonder can anybody go there

• Registered Users Posts: 30 harryt

Lovely place in tipperary callred parsons green.

re Larch Hill - no it is for Scouts (and Guides on request) only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Thanks for the help everyone. I think the ones in Wicklow and Down could be quite suitable.

Thaedydal, is it Ocean Island in Fethard-on-Sea you're thinking of? That could be the best of the bunch.

That would be it, could not remember the name for some reason :).
    Another place mine loved was Lough Derravaragh Camping & Caravan Park,
    right on the lakes.
    Larch hill is not open to the public for camping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭JohnnySideburns

Check out this website.

http://www.camping-ireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Kildrought wrote:
    Redcross and Hidden Valley in Co Wicklow

Where are there? Never heard of them. In Wicklow? Are there campsites there or is it just camping au naturel?

hc

Red Cross - correct name is River Valley - but everyone who stays there knows it as Red Cross!

websites:
    http://www.camping-ireland.ie/caravan-parks/camping.php?id=20
    http://www.camping-ireland.ie/caravan-parks/camping.php?id=29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭loz

We went ovver to the site @ lough Ennel a few weeks ago - loads of children and a nice site - plenty of ground for your own pitch or trailer.

found it on the url Johnny posted below.

take the photo of the "sandy beach" with a pinch of salt though !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Cong Co MAyo we took the two lads there last summer and planning a trip again in a few weeks. The walks are class and eating out aint too bad either. The pubs dont mind kids at all which is a bonus when eating out late in the evening. We stayed on a cmapsite and found the facilities A1

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Great stuff, thanks for all the help everyone!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

oulu wrote:
    I know larch hill is a place where scouts go, up pass rockbrook dublin 16, wonder can anybody go there

the reason its for Scouts and Guides only is Because all Adults would have Been Garda Vetted to be allowed to work with children, The OP as a parent, would not have been.

You don't need to be Garda vetted to bring your own children camping, nor even your children's friends!

Gardai do not carry out vetting for Scout and Guide leaders.

Larch Hill is only open to youth and adult members of Scouting Ireland (and Irish Girl Guides on request); it is not open to the general public.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Kildrought wrote:
    You don't need to be Garda vetted to bring your own children camping, nor even your children's friends!

Gardai do not carry out vetting for Scout and Guide leaders.

Larch Hill is only open to youth and adult members of Scouting Ireland (and Irish Girl Guides on request); it is not open to the general public.

Then why was Myself, and every other leader in my troup, and Leader i know gardai vetted?

The Point i was Making was That its Not open to General Public,Gardai vetting is One of the reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 smuid

Don't mean to hijack but absurd as it may sound, scout leaders are not required to be vetted by the Gardai, your troop(s) may do it as a matter of good practice.

Anyone know of good beach camping in Wicklow, maybe around Brittas? It would be mid week during term time so pissed up teens shouldn't be a problem...

Just to put this one to bed - the Gardai themselves didn't do it on a general basis - I'm involved in several different community enterprises in regards to children and only certain projects qualified to request Garda vetting. The central vetting unit opened in June of this year; but this hasn't (as yet) really filtered down to grass roots level.

Stauntons' used to have over night camping, but he stopped that several years ago - I don't know of any other sites that are actually on the beach; you may have more success if you were to go as far as Wexford.

Red Cross isn't too far, but it would involve a drive to Brittas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Maria03

Hi, also from Dublin. If you want a family camping trip,try Red Cross camp site. It's fantastic for the kids. On site is a petting zoo, playground. Secret garden walks, sports hall and lots more. For the adults there is a lovely pub on site and a londis. Also supply cookers, barbeque area etc.

We love it there, and so do the kids. Enjoy, Maria

Advertisement