Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Find all posts by User - Please Vote

Options
  • 26-07-2006 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

I have seen many people wondering why the post-search option has been disabled for the regular user.
    Many have complained and wondered why this happened as the feature was very useful: finding your own posts, finding interests and previous posts of the boards sellers/buyers, etc.

The reason behind disabling this feature is - from what I read - the fact that the servers become slow down when this feature is used.
    However I feel that there can be workarounds, people don't need to search the whole day, so one can limit the search of the regular users to once at 10-20 minutes or something like that.

I really hope the feature will be enabled again. I've added a poll to this topic hoping that a lot of votes will persuade the admins to give us all permission to use the search feature.

Do you want the "Find all posts by User" feature to be enabled? 32 votes

Yes, even if it makes the forums slower.
    0% 0 votes
    No, I like it faster.
    53% 17 votes
    Who cares, I didn't know such a feature exists.
    46% 15 votes
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

postcount++.

what? at this point thats the only use this thread has!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Why not subscribe?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

&#231 wrote: »
    postcount++.

what? at this point thats the only use this thread has!

It is useless posts like this that kill the servers, not the search option...
    Why not subscribe?

This will not solve the problem of seeing what other users have posted.

Example:
    Random computers thread, User X says: "My computer sucks, it freezes every 2 hours for some reason. Can anyone help?"
    Few months later, same User X: I'm selling a great PC, barely used, works smoothly, no problems I am aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Duras wrote:
    ZOMG! crash_000, you bastard! You killed Boards.ie!

Seriously, searching is very much more resource consuming than posting. There is an option of time-limiting the searching but the admins have seen fit not to do this - I assume that even this measure would still be too much & the admins know what they're doing.

Later versions of BoardTracker are to incorporate search by user, etc. Be patient or subscribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'm pretty sure the search function is turned on for subscribers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'd rather be able to browse boards that have it grind to a standstill every 2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Democracy, fixing computing problems since Eighteen Ninety NEVAR

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Duras, there's no point in the poll, we know that people want the search back. Everyone wants the search back. In fact there's a major catch-22 involved with your quandry/poll: If the majority of people want search back then it means that the search will be heavily used and will render the site inoperable. However, if nobody wants the search back and it came back - everything would be fine. However, if your poll result shows that nobody wants the search back then if we took the poll results as actionable - the search wouldn't come back because nobody wants it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Gordon wrote:
    If the majority of people want search back then it means that the search will be heavily used and will render the site inoperable. However, if nobody wants the search back and it came back - everything would be fine. However, if your poll result shows that nobody wants the search back then if we took the poll results as actionable - the search wouldn't come back because nobody wants it back.
    Gordon, stop being me. It confuses me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

But at 20:25 on a Wednesday evening, 68% dont want it back at the expense of time. So does that mean we get it back? Or do we not get it back either way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Duras wrote:

YES. I broke boards, i broke boards, oh I broke boards so bad I broke it bad OH YES!

can I get a medal lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

Sure, with a complimentary slap.

Anyway, the search function is useful sometimes. But by the sounds of things it is abused a little. Boards is likely to increase in membership, so in the long term - bringing back the search function is not a good idea if the system cannot hack it.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

boardtracker has a feature to get the last 25 post started by a user. ask them to expand it maybe?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Duras
    I'm afraid your Poll is about as useful as an ashtray on a moterbike

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Beruthiel wrote:
    Duras
    I'm afraid your Poll is about as useful as an ashtray on a moterbike

...and as useful as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

We are looking into getting a second server specifically for search.

It's not like we want to lose features, but if the features are causing a standstill, they're not worth it. We have every intention of bringing this back as soon as we can. Thanks,

J.
    --

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement