Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Samsung 32" TV. Whats the difference

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Basically the first model LE32M51B is older that the new LE32R72B

The dynamic contrast ratio is 5000:1 on the R72 compared to 3000:1 on the on the M51

The svideo, composite and headphones are at the side on the R72 aswell as the M51.

Its basically the same tv, just a different casing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The dynamic contrast ratio is 5000:1 on the R72 compared to 3000:1 on the on the M51

Higher the better right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I do not think they come with DVI. I have the second one and it only has VGA and HDMI.. Mind you, HDMI is based on DVI.

jank wrote:
    Higher the better right?

Yeah, but I'm 100% sure that they are specing dynamic CR.
    Not that thats bad but the real CR is probably 1000:1

• Advertisement

Cheers for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

If you get the r72 ( i have an r73 but its basically the same ) switch the display to movie to switch off the Dynamic Contrast system. You'll see what I mean if you get it but its a pain to watch. When a movie or scene goes from light to dark or vice versa the panel brightness changes but you can see it happen and its annoying...

Then again it may not bother you but it annoys me. Especially flicking through the NTL digital channels as it goes to a black screen for a sec before the channel comes in, which causes a jump in brightness.

Movie mode is nice though. Oh an it has a Game Mode for consoles which is quite nice with the 360 - improves the colours somehow. They seem to be decent tvs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If you get the r72 ( i have an r73 but its basically the same ) switch the display to movie to switch off the Dynamic Contrast system. You'll see what I mean if you get it but its a pain to watch. When a movie or scene goes from light to dark or vice versa the panel brightness changes but you can see it happen and its annoying...

You're a f*****g GENIUS !!!! That's been buggin' me since I got mine and I looked everywhere to switch off the dynamic contrast !!!
    Now what about the vertical banding to the right hand side of the screen ???

Otherwise a nice set plus there's a DVB tuner built in which is nice if :
    A. You have your own rooftop antenna
    B. you live far enough north to get a good enough signal.

ZEN

ZENER wrote:
    B. you live far enough north to get a good enough signal.

ZEN

Not everyone lives in dublin Zener ;)

ZENER wrote:
    Now what about the vertical banding to the right hand side of the screen ???

WHAT??? :eek:

Is this a bad issue for you? Is it noticable?

• Advertisement

jank wrote:
    Not everyone lives in dublin Zener ;)

No, but they want to though !!! ;)
    Sparky-s wrote:
    WHAT???

Is this a bad issue for you? Is it noticable?

For me it's noticable because I'm a TV tech and am sensitive to picture artifacts and problems. It's only visible on light backgrounds of constant tone, e.g. sky etc.

It's to do with the effects of scaling the PAL resolution up to fill the screen resolution. It's not present if I display a computer screen on it. It consists of 4 vertical bands starting at the middle of the screen and spaced evenly across the right hand half of the display. They never change position or brightness.

Most people probably wouldn't notice it - but now that they know they'll see it every time and curse me for bringing it to their attention :)

ZEN

One thing I have noticed over the past month is temporary image retension.

I haven't seen that. Then, mind you, what with Love Island, BB, Emmerdale, Corro, East Enders etc. I don't get to watch it much . . . sigh . . . roll on the start of the footie !!

I have noticed that after it's on for a good while - maybe 7 or 8 hours - the menus seem to get very very slightly corrupted (missing pixels). We're talking almost un-noticable here but power cycling the set restores them.

These very minor issues aside the picture quality is as good as the Bravia IMO and cheaper by a couple of hundred quid. Recommended but as someone said in another thread a more substantial sound system is strongly suggested. The flat enclosures of LCD sets don't lend themselves well to quality audio or more particularly bass reproduction. Fine for normal TV stuff but for a movie or sports the internal speakers are pants.

ZEN

Well the le32r72b seems to be out of stcok but the do have a LE32R21B which is more expensive by about a hundred euros. Again cant see any real difference in functions and specs here.

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/263552/art/samsung/lcd-tv-16-9-32-81-cm-hd-r.html?itag=5901

Anybody know?

Its probably the same TV with some newer stuff inside it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ZENER wrote:
    You're a f*****g GENIUS !!!! That's been buggin' me since I got mine and I looked everywhere to switch off the dynamic contrast !!!
    Yeah me too!! I was even gonna post a thread asking is that just the way Samsung TVs are set up. ;)

jank wrote:
    Well the le32r72b seems to be out of stcok but the do have a LE32R21B which is more expensive by about a hundred euros. Again cant see any real difference in functions and specs here.

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/263552...html?itag=5901

Anybody know?

Its probably the same TV with some newer stuff inside it.
    Yeah they are the same TV. All the "R7" TVs are the same inside. The numbers and letters are only the style of the casing. Except if it has a "D" at the end which means that it has a digital tuner enclosed, which at present is no use in Ireland.

R71B = Blue (bottom) + Black (casing)
    R72B = Silver + Black
    R73BD = Blue + Black + DVB - T tuner
    R74BD = Silver + Black + DVB - T tuner
    R71W = White

B means Black
    W means White
    D means digital tuner

I bought an LE32R72B from Komplett about a month ago and I'm fairly pleased with it. (even more pleased now that I know about the Dynamic Contrast!)
    Only downside is the sound, but that's not really an issue as I used the surround sound system on my computer or at least I will in a couple of days time when I have it all set up.

I'd recommend using Komplett if you're gonna buy online as I've used them quite a lot recently and found them very competitive on price and delivery is ridiculously cheap, €12 for the TV delivered to your door. I've heard their returns policy ain't the best but I've never returned anything to them (and hopefully never will so I can't really comment on that.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Except if it has a "D" at the end which means that it has a digital tuner enclosed, which at present is no use in Ireland.

That depends on how close to Ulster you live, on the north side of Dublin I can get most of the Freeview channels provided from there. I have my own rooftop antenna by the way, obviously this won't work on cable.

ZEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ZENER wrote:
    That depends on how close to Ulster you live, on the north side of Dublin I can get most of the Freeview channels provided from there. I have my own rooftop antenna by the way, obviously this won't work on cable.

ZEN
    I'd be surprised if you could get it in Cork though!! ;)

I don't really see the point of Freeview over here, even if you could pick it up, as most people have cable. The difference in price to have the internal tuner is something like €250 for something that, as of yet, is untested over here. I think you'd be better off not bothering at the moment and then getting an external tuner when and if it's introduced.

Advertisement