Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Blocks - price most likely to pay

Options
  • 26-07-2006 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of building a garage for myself, but don't have a clue how much the bricks would be. Anyone know, say approx: 500 blocks? Or are they sold by block price etc?

Would appreciate anyone in the know (i.e. self building at moment?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Goll Mac Morna

Standard size concrete blocks cost approx €450 to €500 per 1000.
    Foundation blocks -much bigger but need less- about €68 per 100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Thank you very much, that will help me draw up a approx cost and bring it to the wife (boss) for approval!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

Foundation blocks -much bigger but need less- about €68 per 100

What do you mean by foundation blocks. Why would I need those? Can't I build with normal blocks from the start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Goll Mac Morna

mjffey wrote:
    What do you mean by foundation blocks. Why would I need those? Can't I build with normal blocks from the start?
    You might not need them for a garage depends on what you are doing, but for a house with 4inch blocks and 4 inch cavity there normally would be some 'dead building' --under the finished ground level.
    Foundation blocks are 12 inches wide (300mm) , after you pour your concrete foundation, you can build a course (or courses) of these blocks 'on the flat' -commonly called dead building.
    Your cavity wall is then built on top, the 12 inch wide foundation block allows you to build 4inch block + 4 inch cavity + 4 inch block on top.

Advertisement