Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloodhound;

Options
  • 26-07-2006 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a Bloodhound, does anyone have one or know of a breeder in Ireland? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I hope you have no neighbours :D. They can be very vocal ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I think you will have to go to France for one. Have you seen them up close? They are HUGE dogs and very very stubbern!

best of luck anyway and keep us informed of how you get on.

After a quick search...

These guys breed them, Peasant will be impressed, not for show, no inbreeding. Long flight for the pup though!

http://www.911rescue.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

If you want a Bloodhound, be prepared to spend a lot of time walking as this breed NEEDS a HUGE amount of exercise and attention, These are a working dog and will become bored and possibly destructive if they are not occupied almost constantly, also they need a large area to run with lots of different smells to keep them happy, Be prepared to follow him for miles on the scent of a shoelace, give him old trainers and T-Shirts to play with, Fantastic dog if you can meet their requirements, Strong, gentle, very playful, easily trained, Highly intelligent, terrific with kids, Very good guard dog when happy, just be sure it IS the right breed for you. Definitly not the breed for a first time owner or if you don't enjoy walking for at least an hour plus each day. If you can meet all his needs, your Hound will bring you years of pleasure and protection, but you must make certain you CAN meet all his needs, the more people in your house the more stimulated & content your Bloodhound will be. Very much a family dog when reared correctly. Loves to be with people whenever possible, usually copes very well with other animals cats/dogs etc, Don't get a Bloodhound if he's going to be left alone for long periods of time or if he's not gonna get a run each day, its not fair on him & it will be hell for you. If you still decide its the dog for you, I wish you lots of enjoyment & exercise for the next 12 yrs.

Do you own Bloodhounds Gypsy? Are you in Ireland, if so, where, I would love to see them...

Used to have 2 when I was a kid, beautiful dogs, i got a shepherd and a doberman now, used to ride the Bloods like a pony when i was about six,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Thanks for the advice everyone, yes I have the space and the time and I have other dogs too. I've been in contact with a breeder in the south of England and she has put me in touch with a breeder in France so I'm off in a weeks time to have a look at the dogs there and hopefully book a pup.:)

Best of luck, let us know how u get on, how much are the pups gonna cost?

Around 1000 euros I think I didn't ask directly. But the best I can get according to the breeder in the U.K.

Wow, expensive, but I'd be willing pay that when the timings right, be sure to post lots of pics when you get him, are you gonna get a bitch or dog? what dogs you got now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

How are you going to get him in? I thought there was a waiting period of 6 months until the rabies titters could be checked?

• Advertisement

I'll find out more and let you know.

Excellent. Where do you live? I would be really keen to see the dog when you get it...

Advertisement