Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Forum Voucher

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Big Nelly wrote:
    What the **** do you think you are at posting an address on here? Edit that out of the document straight away you stupid clown!!
    Big Nelly wrote:
    Can someone with a brain edit out Lemlins address straight away from T4TF post. This is not on to include a name and personal address on an internet forum.

Nelly, calm down I had permission from your brother to post all of the details of the pm he sent me. Nice of you to revert to form btw. I have removed the name and postal address as I do not want you having a heart attack, in fact I had removed it 25 minutes before you posted that second gem of yours.
    Last edited by Thanx 4 The Fish : Today at 11:09.

Majd, you are correct, it is not Lemlins problem that i am not and have not been in the same location as the prize. I had of course planned to be but unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances I was not able to be there. All of the way through the competition I expected at some stage to get home and yet I never did and so I do not feel that I was misleading anybody by offering a prize that I had fully intended to send and still fully intend to send. I have accepted that Nelly and Triton and Lemlin are all different people, I asked the question and received an answer, I was happy with the answers and so Lemlin will be receiving his prize. If I had money to throw around I would have already spent the 50 quid on getting him a voucher, any voucher for anywhere he liked, to get him off my back but I don't, it would have saved me quite a bit of hassle and a fair bit of embarassment. As far as I see it now, I have offered a reasonable solution, Lemlin has accepted it, or at least I think he has, I have had no pm to that effect, and he wants to make a scene and that is all really.

Am I embarassed by the whole debacle, yes, will it get him the voucher any quicker, certainly not.

If Lemlin was a generally well respected poster and wasn't a ranty nitpicker then this would certainly have been dealt with amiccably early doors, a reasonable poster would have probably understood that due to constraints of personal life, and work the voucher would be delayed, they would not have launched into abuse, they would probably not have had issues about the possibility of being a dupe account hanging over their head in the first place (not something only bandied about by me BTW) and would not repeatedly go about accusing one of three mods that because things were missed by all of those three mods that a single mod was being biased.

In that situation I too would probably have been more disposed to finding some nature of happy medium, but hey thems the breaks, thankfully for the soccer forum Lemlin's company will be handing out the prizes and so they are guaranteed to arrive in a timely fashion. And I am sure that when it comes around to me entering the competition, should I win anything Lemlin will be only too happy to pass it on to me quickly and with a minimum of fuss, although judging by last years performance, he has nothing to fear on that front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Nelly, calm down I had permission from your brother to post all of the details of the pm he sent me. Nice of you to revert to form btw. I have removed the name and postal address as I do not want you having a heart attack.

Its my fu*king house and I don't want some clown like you posting the address of it on an internet forum where any clown can see it. Heart attack or no I would like to see you if someone posted your name and address on a forum so everyone can see it.

I don't care about the voucher and posting the PM's but anyone with a brain would know not to post the address of a user onto a forum.

Revert to form? f**k you. You have shown what your true colours are. All your little mod buddys posting on here doesn't change that. As mentioned before if you done this in the for sale forum you would get a site ban. Boards was not invented for people to screw each other over. You have shown that is exactly why you are on here. I don't care about your Liverpool crap, if you offer a prize then send it. If you sell something then send to buyer. How many people on here have you screwed over by not sending stuff with your bull**** excuse that Im not in Ireland?

Big Nelly wrote:
    Its my fu*king house and I don't want some clown like you posting the address of it on an internet forum where any clown can see it. Heart attack or no I would like to see you if someone posted your name and address on a forum so everyone can see it.

I don't care about the voucher and posting the PM's but anyone with a brain would know not to post the address of a user onto a forum.

Revert to form? f**k you. You have shown what your true colours are. All your little mod buddys posting on here doesn't change that. As mentioned before if you done this in the for sale forum you would get a site ban. Boards was not invented for people to screw each other over. You have shown that is exactly why you are on here. I don't care about your Liverpool crap, if you offer a prize then send it. If you sell something then send to buyer. How many people on here have you screwed over by not sending stuff with your bull**** excuse that Im not in Ireland?

Your brother gave me permission to post it, take it up with him.

None.

I think that covers it all but if you want evidence that I have not done as you suugest then try this. If I had done so, then I would be site banned as you quite rightly pointed out, since I am not then I must not have. For me that is fairly simple to work out, I assumed that since you posted that, you would have been able to make the link too.

BTW I do not use for sale, have nothing worth selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The voucher is in Ireland, I am in England, I have not been in Ireland since the prize has been won, or for that matter since the comp was announced but expected to be.

With respect, who's problem is that?

With respect Buffy, I have already held my hands up to that one many times, in fact I have done so on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yeah I think T4TF has answered all my protests to my satisfaction so I'll stop having a go.

I can also see how having a PM-fest degenerate as it did can make one less likely to want to help the PM perpetrator.

It'll take a while for this to die down though, unless it's locked. There'll be a period of sackcloth and ashes and self flagellation while everyone has their say. I'm still hearing about Dutch Gold. /shrugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I read all 8 pages, and all I see is a lot of hooplah and lots of people not answering questions. As far as I can see, Lemlin had reason to complain, but people shot him down right away and didn't answer his question, but I can't see why. Perhaps I missed some intricate backstory or important detail *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

You know, were I not positive of facts to the contrary, I would assume from this thread that T4TF was a paid employee of boards and that this was some sort of professional competition that he was being paid for running.

I've run a few competitions on boards.ie myself, most notably when I was mod of sci and I don't honestly think I'd send a prize at all to someone who behaved as Lemlin has. But that is just me.

T4TF is a voluntary mod of a forum on boards. He donates his time and effort to run a forum that offers very little in the way of thanks or reward. He's run a competition and things haven't worked out the way he'd like. It was unforseen and unexpected.

Yet this all started because the OP thinks that T4TF should go out of his way, spending time and money to get a voucher for someone who has done nothing but abuse him.

I fail to see the motivation to be honest.

T4TF has made his apologies for the situation from the start. The OP is getting something for nothing and quite frankly should either have been gracious enough to accept the scenario at the start.

I'm reminded of Veruca Salt.

Psi, unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

When you run a competition on the internet, it's a public forum so you're bound by competition law.

Here, for instance, http://www.out-law.com/page-6780 is a link to how the law works in the UK. I'm not sure how it works in Ireland, I've asked on the mod board to get one of the legal bods to look into it.

Unfortunately, as boards.ie grows, its profile grows, and it becomes more exposed to legal issues - the bigger you are, the more you have to ensure you've done things properly.

Unless you've set some specific criteria out in the competition guidelines first, you can't just decide that someone won't get the prize because they're a cock-knob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

A lot of this just comes down to personal grievances. Or to put it more simply, they hate each other. I've had run ins with both posters i my time (says more about them then it does about me :D) and I think they both have relevant points here but to be honest, those points are clouded by personal opinions. I personally feel that modding the soccer forum is doing T4TF no good because he's a Liverpool fan through and through and does sometimes find it hard to be fair and unpartisaned, especially to Man Utd fans. And Lemlin, well sometimes you may as well be banging your head off a wall full of plugs than talking to that chap. He's passed himself reasonably well here though and I suspect that if it was a poster with a less colourful posting history then he might've got a little more respect.

I think the whole thing has run its course now though and to carry it on would be to piss into the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Psi, unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

When you run a competition on the internet, it's a public forum so you're bound by competition law.

Here, for instance, http://www.out-law.com/page-6780 is a link to how the law works in the UK. I'm not sure how it works in Ireland, I've asked on the mod board to get one of the legal bods to look into it.

Unfortunately, as boards.ie grows, its profile grows, and it becomes more exposed to legal issues - the bigger you are, the more you have to ensure you've done things properly.

Unless you've set some specific criteria out in the competition guidelines first, you can't just decide that someone won't get the prize because they're a cock-knob.

I agree entirely with that. The bottom line in all of this is that T4TF owes Lemlin a voucher. Give it to him and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

koneko wrote:
    I read all 8 pages, and all I see is a lot of hooplah and lots of people not answering questions. As far as I can see, Lemlin had reason to complain, but people shot him down right away and didn't answer his question, but I can't see why. Perhaps I missed some intricate backstory or important detail *sigh*

I can answer that for you , it is because some users of the soccer forum are less equal than others and get "special treatment". For instance some users of the soccer forum get their bans recorded against them on their access thread while others don't. Considering there is a three ban and you're out policy on the forum accurate recording of bans issued is important.

Before anyone tells me I should raise that issue with a mod, I have . The mod in question told me they would sort it in a few days , that was well over a month ago.

Back on topic

It is not unreasonable for Lemlin to have expected to get his prize months ago. If the prize sponsor can not afford the prize they should not be sponsoring one in the first place. He also should not be sponsoring competitions if he is only willing to send the prize to people he approves of.

The whole Lemlin/Big Nelly being the same poster is tiresome and reminds me of the Tinky/Muppet crap that happened on soccer and caused turmoil leading to it being shut down. I would have thought that the mod would have leared from that and been reluctant to go down that road again but that is obviously not the case.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Big Nelly wrote:
    What the **** do you think you are at posting an address on here? Edit that out of the document straight away you stupid clown!!

Two things:

1. Considering that Lemlin has been constantly berating anybody who dares to selectively edit any correspondence then I'm willing to overlook the error of leaving the address in there.

2. That sort of reaction / name-calling might just be the source of a lot of disputes you seem to keep having, no?

Sorry muppet completely slipped my mind. I have a list, have checked twice when I tried to do this originally I had not got access as a mod to the access requests board or soccer for that matter, after a week or so of trying to get this sorted I had quite a few access threads to sort and it was off my radar. If this is biased then it must be against all of soccer because there is fans from all kinds of teams on the list, it is just a matter of visiting all of the posts now and updating.

I have already agreed that it is not unreasonable for Lemlin to get his prize, and I do not think it is about being able to afford it, it is about being able to get it, it was an unwanted gift that I decided to give away. I have already agreed to give him it but unfortunately not inside the timeframe that I originally had planned.

As for the Clark Kent/Superman thing, this was brought to my attention and I asked the question. It was brought to admins attention too by other members of the forum. And as you well know it was not the muppet/tinky crap that lead to soccer being shut down, it was the crap from muppet and Tinky, along with a few others who were named and shamed that lead to soccer being closed down. I can pull up the thread form Gandalf on the day if you would like, you must remember you were permabanned and only a unanimous vote form the mods of the time (me included) allowed you and the rest of the gang to re-apply for access.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Revert to form? f**k you.

How helpful. Banned from Feedback.

One point of detail. Everyone is complaining that the OP isn't being listened to and is being shouted down etc etc, but everyone keeps dragging up the issue of this voucher not being sent in a timely manner. He has stated that this isn't what his core complaint is. If we can keep our eye on the ball then perhaps things will get sorted a little faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I know everone has their 2c's on this one - but from my experience of T4TF and Lemlin (i've had agro with both) - it seems to me that Lemlin's arguement boils down to whatever stick he can beat T4TF with at any given moment. Hence the confusion around what his actual problem is (the voucher.. or the deleted posts).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

ecksor wrote:
    Two things:

1. Considering that Lemlin has been constantly berating anybody who dares to selectively edit any correspondence then I'm willing to overlook the error of leaving the address in there.

2. That sort of reaction / name-calling might just be the source of a lot of disputes you seem to keep having, no?

I dont care about the voucher, thats up to Lemlin who asked me not to join in on this. My problem was my house address been posted onto a public forum!!! would you like your stuck up here for all to see?

Also why ban me when WWM was insulting me in another thread on here and said it was ok on the Feedback. Again signs of one rule for mods and another rule for someone else. Anyway last time I am posting on this. Let Lemlin sort it out. I just dont want my address posted again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Big Nelly wrote:
    I dont care about the voucher, thats up to Lemlin who asked me not to join in on this. My problem was my house address been posted onto a public forum!!! would you like your stuck up here for all to see?

Also why ban me when WWM was insulting me in another thread on here and said it was ok on the Feedback. Again signs of one rule for mods and another rule for someone else. Anyway last time I am posting on this. Let Lemlin sort it out. I just dont want my address posted again!!

actually, i think youll find there was probably a caveat in there that said go ahead and insult someone, but you do so at your own risk of being banned.

if i insult someone and i get banned, then i get banned. but then again, im a big boy and i am responsible for my own actions.

although, i have no idea why you constantly bring me into your arguements. you seem to have some sort of vendetta against me.

its sickening that you take one sort of attitude towards a hard working and popular and wonderful member of the community (thats me) and a different attitude, almost brotherly fondness for other users....

i think i also said you were a whinger and a moaner. which you continue to prove.

anyway, lemlin is getting the voucher that he should have had months ago by rights.

i am curious as to this competition that didnt have a winner, and why lemlin thinks hes the winner. was this answered?

If you had a complaint about something I missed then feel free to point it out to me. I've let a lot of things go, but if you don't think I'm justified in pulling you up for a "f**k you" comment then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

you can't just decide that someone won't get the prize because they're a cock-knob.

However, that was never an issue. The issue was the timeframe. Which, I believe was never defined.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sorry muppet completely slipped my mind. I have a list, have checked twice when I tried to do this originally I had not got access as a mod to the access requests board or soccer for that matter, after a week or so of trying to get this sorted I had quite a few access threads to sort and it was off my radar. If this is biased then it must be against all of soccer because there is fans from all kinds of teams on the list, it is just a matter of visiting all of the posts now and updating.

I have already agreed that it is not unreasonable for Lemlin to get his prize, and I do not think it is about being able to afford it, it is about being able to get it, it was an unwanted gift that I decided to give away. I have already agreed to give him it but unfortunately not inside the timeframe that I originally had planned.

As for the Clark Kent/Superman thing, this was brought to my attention and I asked the question. It was brought to admins attention too by other members of the forum. And as you well know it was not the muppet/tinky crap that lead to soccer being shut down, it was the crap from muppet and Tinky, along with a few others who were named and shamed that lead to soccer being closed down. I can pull up the thread form Gandalf on the day if you would like, you must remember you were permabanned and only a unanimous vote form the mods of the time (me included) allowed you and the rest of the gang to re-apply for access.

Np we're all human, I,m not really bothered wheter you publish it or not, it won't change my stated opinion of how certain users are treated on the soccer forum.

I don't really want to take this thread off topic or get into the tinky/muppet scenario again either but if you want to go there and with gandalfs permission I will happily post the PMs to prove your stated opinion wrong. The only reason I highlighted it again here is because of the similarities with your accusation re: Lemlin and Big Nelly.

True but in this case somebody actually raised the issue with me and I took it forward as opposed to being completely wrong off of my own bat in your case. ;)

And as for the more, or less equal thing on the soccer forum, there are three mods there, four now although Talla is away for a while. There is a LOI and general football fan, who has banned people and been accused of bias, there is a liverpool fan who has perm banned only one person who was a liverpool fan and banned many others is accused of bias, Talla is I believe a man u fan who banned people and was accused of bias by the people that he banned (a Man U fan as I recall). Now there is a new mod who is not a supporter of any team as far as I can tell but I am sure that as soon as somebody get's banned they will be biased against somebody. When Gandalf was there he was accused of being biased whenever he banned somebody and the same for Vagga although he was not so much about the bannings.

I am not sure what needs to be done to change your belief and while I should care, this little storm in a teacup has drained me for the moment. I think the appointment of a good non footy type mod (which was a temporary appointment but one that I am liking more and more) will make things a bit better for you but I guess we will just have to wait and see whether they want to stick it out as another pair of hands will certainly be appreciated.

psi wrote:
    However, that was never an issue. The issue was the timeframe. Which, I believe was never defined.

...but which apparently should be defined if you're hosting an online competition.

I know there are two issues here - the deleted posts, and the voucher - but I think the voucher is what caused the whole thing to escalate and meant posts got deleted.

I'm not looking to beat T4TF with a big stick today, I'm trying to focus on the bigger picture for boards.ie generally (and apparently I'm also trying to use marketing bull****e jargon, but hey) and the issue of online competitions.

This whole thread, the PMs and the deleted posts are all what happens when you don't write up a bunch of watertight rules - the same way each forum has a charter, and that charter is your shield against the muppetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

This whole thread, the PMs and the deleted posts are all what happens when you don't write up a bunch of watertight rules - the same way each forum has a charter, and that charter is your shield against the muppetry.

Charters are there to help users, they are not binding laws. Moderators can do whatever they want to keep order in a forum, including things not defined in the charter.

There's no such thing as a watertight charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

amp wrote:

Except in the watertight forum?

amp wrote:
    Charters are there to help users, they are not binding laws. Moderators can do whatever they want to keep order in a forum, including things not defined in the charter.

That's fair enough. I'm talking about having a set of watertight rules if you're going to run a competition. Having judge's discretion in there helps make rules watertight because it gives you some leeway. The moderation of bulletin boards is not set out in law. How to run online competitions with prizes that have a monetary value is. How strongly the law would apply to boards is still open for investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

Was it twice or three times that ecksor said he'd undelete the posts and put them in another thread. Why didn't OP pick up on that and say yes. Maybe he did and I didn't notice.
    One point of detail. Everyone is complaining that the OP isn't being listened to and is being shouted down etc etc, but everyone keeps dragging up the issue of this voucher not being sent in a timely manner. He has stated that this isn't what his core complaint is. If we can keep our eye on the ball then perhaps things will get sorted a little faster.
    This was almost ignored for the entire thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Sid Deuce

ecksor wrote:

Well said.

• Advertisement

I'm not ignoring it. I just think that it's the crux of the problem. If the OP got his poxy voucher he wouldn't have kicked off. The issue of the deleted posts is just stirring.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement