Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic v Man U

• 26-07-2006 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Anybody watch this game tonight? Man u second string versus Celtic first team. Utd made Celtic look worse than average and also made Man u's first team look shoite as well on tonights performance!

Maybe Alex wont need to buy anybody after all :D

I am joking !!!!!

Obviously hard to say how good Utd were tonight versus how shoite Celtic were but GS didnt look happy on sidelines :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Good performance by a young United side. Evans at the back was outstanding I gotta say...didnt put a foot (or a head) wrong and got a goal from a corner to boot. Martin looked great (comfortable on both wings), dissapointed with Eagles a little. Rossi was okay.

Here's how I rated them out of 10

Foster - 8
    Evans - 9
    Brown - 7
    Evra - 7
    Bardsley - 7
    Martin - 8
    Eagles - 6
    Fletcher - 7
    Scholes - 8
    Richardson - 7
    Rossi - 7

Subs: Miller, Gibson, McShane (all Irish nice to see), Jones, Simpson.

very disappointed with Celtic, and judgin by Gordons face on the touchline so was he...that Rocca Quinn looks complete and utter rubbish.

Its slightly annoying that Uniteds outstanding player was a youthful CB, which we have plenty of cover for that position in Rio, Heinze, Silvestre, Brown, Vidic, O Shea and McShane.

but not complaining...I thought Evans was great.

McShane nearly scored with 1st touch, thundering header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Meant to say...Foster was top class. Really encouraging to see how vocal he is in the area, havent seen that in a Utd keeper since Schmeichel!

Is that Rocco Quinn lad Irish??

I doubt his Irish tbh...yeah Foster was great. Strange why United are looking to sign that Tomas Kuskac (West Brom keeper) when Foster is so promising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

MOM was undoubtably Scholes, who was fantastic, really returning to the scholes of old

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    MOM was undoubtably Scholes, who was fantastic, really returning to the scholes of old

ah I tend to disagree there, he gave away the ball a few times and his two goals were from 2/3 yards. But it was good to see glimpes of him at his best. 8/10 for me. Foster and Evans deserved MOM award before him, as did Martin who never stopped working all night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

PHB wrote:

Didnt see him play a bad ball all night :D Hes coming straight into my fantasy team now ;)

Fook that clown from west brom, keep the 4m in yer pocket fergie and get Foster in as number 2.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Only in from work so didnt see the game, but from watching the phone in on MUTV, Ben foster is really getting some praise from the callers.

Here are some pics of tonights game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

so who was half of ireland up for tonight?

celtic or man utd?

gotta be a tough call.
    so many allegences tested. :)

buyt apparently scholes was fantastic. good to see him back in form after such a crappy year. you kow, if he had michael carrick beside him....... ;)

was tough for me Im big big fan of both, but Celtic played poor and lost interest with 20mins to go...it was great to see Uniteds youngsters puttin on a good show in Celtic park so my heart was sayin United most of the way through the night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Saw about 2 seconds of it , why was the ground or part of it empty?

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:

yeah strange one that...United brought 2,000 fans but the stadium was at most 3/4 full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

so who was half of ireland up for tonight?

celtic or man utd?

gotta be a tough call.
    so many allegences tested. :)

buyt apparently scholes was fantastic. good to see him back in form after such a crappy year. you kow, if he had michael carrick beside him....... ;)
    god ,celtic must be bad if we can put 3 pass them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

did Miller get booed? How did he play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

He came on as a sub anyway. Missed a lovely chance in the last few minutes. shaved the outside of the post. totally forgot he used to play for Celtic actually! haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

did Miller get booed?

yes he did, and deservedly so.

he was booed coming off the bench and everytime he got the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SteM

Aquos76 wrote:
    Ben foster is really getting some praise from the callers.

He's looked really confidnt in all of the preseason games so far. I hope Fergies realised how good he is and gives up on the WBA keeper now.
    KdjaC wrote:

Ferguson had said that he wouldn't be playing any of his world cup players until the Amsterdam Tournament so I'd say that put a lot of people off going. Also, it's only a few months since United played Celtic for Keanes testimonial.
    did Miller get booed? How did he play?

Yes he did, every time he touched the ball (but that could have been by United fans too ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

sgarvan wrote:
    yes he did, and deservedly so.

he was booed coming off the bench and everytime he got the ball

WTF what you talking man why should he of?

He was one of Celtic's best players. Or is it Liam not Kenny?
    Opps sorry yeah Liam! He should of never left hard to get a place in united first team.

Yeah man very bad game that Sno fcuking nob head he wont be ther long!
    Cost them first goal.

Miller had great game though and most of them had alright.

County do you remember last seasons game's it was same kinda story we still won it by what 20 points :p

McGready is a star and a half he should be playnig first team football for Ireland hr really is great seen him last day in Landsdown when he came on great on the ball!

Yeah 3/4 full but still think about it it's 45,000! You do know it's Scotland man real season is starting soon most people wudnt really be bothered going!
    It's kinda coming a regular fixture at this atage LOL

Have to say Rossi played very well!

KdjaC Celtic stadium is never full anyways I think it hold's (60,832)but the cops never let them fill it up, im not saying thats why there wasnt alot of people there but there never allowed have full house.

I love Paradise!!

Cant wait till I get the new away jersey very nice.
    PHB wrote:

Boruc for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Sholes did well enough, he has been playing great since he came back (including the last game of last season).

He wasn't performing well before his vision impairment but I think having the time out has made him hungrier and by the way he's playing it looks like he's determined to be in the team for some time yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,326 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Going to be a pretty poor attempt at the CL judging on the pre-season build up. GS needs to get his finger out. The team last night will not be the normal Celtic line up.

as for attendance,

It was a meaningless game
    It was played midweek
    It costs money
    Both teams did not have their first 11 playing
    It is Glasgow fair forthnight
    The SPL starts on Saturday

There were still 35,000+ at the game!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Sizzler wrote:
    Anybody watch this game tonight? Man u second string versus Celtic first team.
    How did you make out this was Celtic's first team?

Celtic started 2 first team players in Boruc (GK) and Zurawski (FW) with the inevitable signings to come in.
    Mo Camara was played at left back - enough said.
    Stan Varga will be about 5th choice centre half when the full squad is available.
    A reserve central midfielder started at right back.
    Evander Sno is a 19 year old making his first start for Celtic.
    Thompson started 11 games for Celtic last season and is nowhere near the first team.

Maloney scored 16 goals and got 23 assists last season has been injured a few weeks now.
    Nakamura is the best player in the SPL and good enough for most teams in the world. The key to the team.
    Petrov and Jarosik are 2 quality central midfielders and linked up well today.
    There will be 2 or 3 signings brought in before the window closes and they are expected to be good quality signings (as in that Dutch fella with the huge name).

atm Celtic's first choice midfield is Maloney-Petrov-Jarosik-Nakamura. That is Champions league quality midfield and none of them started.

As Strachan said:
    "their second team is far better than our second team"

Advertisement