Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamp Duty

Options
  • 26-07-2006 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Just wondering if anybody knows the answer to this question..

If I was to buy ot my partner would I have to pay stamp duty again??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tazzer wrote:
    Assuming that word is "out", I understand the most you would pay is the stamp duty on thier half.

But raise it with your solicitor or tax advisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Tazzer wrote:
    Just wondering if anybody knows the answer to this question..

There was a question on this topic in the Irish Times on Thursday last. It does not appear to be online but I may still have it at home.

I think the gist was that if one person is remaining in the "family home" then there are no stamp duties to be paid by either party when buying again. I.e. the party leaving, gets their FTB status back (under certain conditions).

There are more musts etc like you have to live in the house for the next 5 years or something.

Sorry for the vagueness, I will try to find the article later...

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

nereid wrote:
    There was a question on this topic in the Irish Times on Thursday last. It does not appear to be online but I may still have it at home.

Sorry for the vagueness, I will try to find the article later...

L.

Hi Nereid,

that would be fantastic if you could find it. I emailed the revenue yesterday but they still havent gotten back to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

hi all - i found that link

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/property/2006/0720/1152913466517.html

however this really relates to separating couples and I was wondering if anybody knows if this also applies to unmarried couples??

Advertisement