Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop cat going to toilet in stones ?

Options
  • 26-07-2006 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    At the back of our house there is a small are covered by stones (like gravel) and there is a cat coming in and using it as cat litter.
    Is there any way of stopping this ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Apparently a cat doesn't like it's own reflection, so a mirror or a plastic bottle filled with water perhaps. I had the same problem but the neighbour who owned them moved out.

Let me know if the mirror thing works please. Also, try a pet shop or garden centre, they'll be able to advise you too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Moving to Animals / Pet Issues :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

Gravel's a lot like cat litter to a cat so you might want to cover it with large stones. Otherwise, ignore the AH-ification, but some good suggestions here

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭hughm

I have 2 cats.

My Vet gave me the following advice on how to break a cat's negative habbits.

Place a garden hose sprinkler discretely in the vacinity of the gravel. Wait for the cat and once he starts to go to the toilet give him a good soaking. Don't let him see you. If he associates his action of going to the toilet in that area with a negative consequency like getting soaked he will go elsewhere.

It may be a bit of a stakeout but i will be fun when you catch him out. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

deadl0ck wrote:
    Hi all,
    At the back of our house there is a small are covered by stones (like gravel) and there is a cat coming in and using it as cat litter.
    Is there any way of stopping this ?

What always helps is a water pistol. They apparently can´t stand those things. The trick is not to be seen when you shoot at them. After two or three "treatments" the cat will associate her chosen loo with getting wet and she won´t return.

Try it, it´ll work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I got some cat repellent in B&Q.
    Hopefully it'll do the trick - if not I reckon a good boot up the hole should do it....

Advertisement