Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Lcd Question

Options
  • 26-07-2006 11:37pm
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

If i got a Widescreen monitor like this one, what would happen if I ran a game?

Would it stretch it to fit the monitor? or just have black bars either side?

Would I be better of going with a standard lcd for gaming?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

It would either stretch or have black bars, depending on what settings you had chosen in your graphics control panel or in your monitor's own control panel.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Thanks, Any expierience with widescreen gaming? would you recommend a 4:3 monitor?

But widescreen would be nice for video editing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

all i know 20" widescreen gaming is ment to be unreal at 1600x1200

awhir wrote:
    all i know 20" widescreen gaming is ment to be unreal at 1600x1200

1600x1200 isn't widescreen. Thats standard 4:3

conzymaher wrote:
    Thanks, Any expierience with widescreen gaming? would you recommend a 4:3 monitor?

But widescreen would be nice for video editing :(

Well my standard screen is 1280x1024 (5:4) and my backup is 1366x768 (16:9) so I don't really have experience of 4:3 gaming.

For unstretched native resolution goodness you can't beat a screen that does 1280x960 or 1600x1200, since a lot of games neither have 1280x1024 nor widescreen support.

My next desktop screen will probably be a 1600x1200 21". Unless I get weak and get a second widescreen since there's so much more choice... Decisions decisions.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, well when im playing css the text looks so much better at 1280*1024 than 1280*960...

How do you get games to play at 1366x768 ?

Anyway what do you think of that ilyama monitor I linked?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I don't know about the ilyama but I can tell you that widescreen gaming is great, most newer games like Half Life 2, COD 2, Battlefield support widescreen and for the ones that don't it's usually just a matter of modifying a config file.

I use a dell 2005fpw and it's the business. Great monitor, really good for gaming plus it's got so many connections i can run my consoles & skybox through it as well. it's got picture in picture too so you can watch tv in a corner of your screen while surfing or working.

It was well worth the €440 I paid for it

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭CSSource God

All i know is that it also depends on the monitor. I have both 2405fpw and 2005fpw. 1600-1200 looks fine on the smaller screen but not on the larger 2405fpw which needs 1920-1200. At 1600 by 1200 on the 24'' model, the text looks blurry and out of shape. Anyway in your case i thought a 20'' panel is better for widescreen than a 19'' model, the dimensions suit it better tbh:) Im sure that monitor has been developed to cater for gaming i couldnt imagine you playing with black borders around the screen, would be a bit useless then!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I got a viewsonic vx2025, i too was apprehensive about widescreen gaming as i had to run fm2005 in a window on my laptop since its 2D and any stretching looks grotesque.

As mentioned above my savemejebus, most modern games and nearly all new titles support widescreen resolutions. I think you can also get hacks (google) that allow you to run games in true widescreen but i have no experience of this and only came across it in passing.

What I can confirm is that widescreen gamins IS indeed fantastic. Ive run FEAR with a standard 4:3 resolution and while its not perfect, its nowhere near the level of distortion i experienced with the non 3D fm2005.

The big thing is when i go back to my old Dell 19" CRT (currently sitting on my bedroom floor), the desktop feels almost claustrophobic without the extra width. Once you go widescreen you never go back i guess:rolleyes:

conzymaher wrote:
    Hmmm, well when im playing css the text looks so much better at 1280*1024 than 1280*960...

How do you get games to play at 1366x768 ?

Anyway what do you think of that ilyama monitor I linked?

I meant if you had an LCD that was natively 1280x1024 and you were running a game that did not have 1280x1024 support, resulting in 1280x960 being stretched out sideways, then it looks crappy.

CSS plays in 1366x768 no bother, just click the widescreen box. Looks amazing from the couch, consoles can suck my balls :cool:

Lots of new games will support any resolution that your GFX card and monitor can both support. Those games are good. Games with crappy programmers that only support 4:3 resolutions are bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Most games out in the last year or so seem to have options for widescreen resolutions.
    My Philips 20" ws has a native res of 1680x1050 and all games I have played recently looked great.

Thanks guys you have convinced me

Now some recommendations please :)

around €300ish

This Viewsonic has a default resolution of 1440*990 and gets great revies on widescreengamingforum.com and newegg.

But I cant find a supplier in Ireland

Maybe I will save some more money and get this Samsung, it looks amazing!

The Samsung looks good.
    Also worth a lookis the Dell 20" WS though a few mmore pennies would need to be saved. :D

Too many pennies^:D

Komplett wont have it in stock until the 17th of August :(

Pixmania will have it in 8 days...

Is there anywhere els I could get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You could just wait.

word of warning pixmania customer service sucks donkey balls, the small print can screw you rma wise (if you have any problems)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

get this one http://www.shopireland.ie/electronics/detail/B000CCB0OG/

i saw it on amazon too...

it's on pixmania too i think, no dvi though

oh rly? that sux

Ok I am deciding between the Samsung 205bw and the BenQ FP202W.

The Samsung is €35 cheaper but I cant find any decent reviews...

The Benq gets consistently good reviews and has a 8bit panel, so it looks like the better contender....

Any thoughts?

Now to convince my parents to let me spend my savings on a €400 monitor:D

• Advertisement

conzymaher wrote:
    Now to convince my parents to let me spend my savings on a €400 monitor:D

Just say you'll stamp your feet and cry until they give in...it usually works for my kids :(

Change of plan, Im getting a Viewsonic VX2025wm instead, it has a better panel (P-MVA) and is a much better monitor, and Bit-tech and a few other sites gave it awards....

I also saw a few dodgey reviews of the BenQ that threw me..

P.s What are OcUk's delivery times like these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Got my stuff from OCUk in 4days
    Good choice on viewsonic :)
    Ya must have read my post from yesterday: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054970072
    Cheapest here: http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/259398/art/viewsonic/tft-20-vx2025wm-8-ms.html

Edit: Sorry, Ocuk cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭mac_leinn

Hey conzymaher have a look at Widescreen Gaming Forum.

They include all sorts of hacks, tweaks, mods etc to get games to run at widescreen aspect ratios.

I used one to get Homeworld 2 to run at 1680x1050 and it worked a treat.

conzymaher wrote:
    Thanks guys you have convinced me

Now some recommendations please :)

around €300ish

This Viewsonic has a default resolution of 1440*990 and gets great revies on widescreengamingforum.com and newegg.

But I cant find a supplier in Ireland

Maybe I will save some more money and get this Samsung, it looks amazing!

Nevermind :o

I must read the whole tread before responding...

the dell ones are supposed to be class as well

the dell ones are supposed to be class as well

Yep, got a 2007fpw last month when there was 35% off. Cost around €420. Excellent screen. The only thing I was concerned with was the 16ms response time but havent noticed any ghosting in games or DVDs.

I tell ya, going from a 17in crt to a 20in LCD widescreen was some upgrade :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

mac_leinn wrote:
    Yep, got a 2007fpw last month when there was 35% off. Cost around €420. Excellent screen. The only thing I was concerned with was the 16ms response time but havent noticed any ghosting in games or DVDs.

I tell ya, going from a 17in crt to a 20in LCD widescreen was some upgrade :D

so jealous

Dell have 25% off the 2407fpw now... no no its too soon to upgrade :)

If they do another 35% off the 20in im going dual screen baby!
    Supreme Commander is meant to support dual screen setups :drools:

• Advertisement
Advertisement