Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allofmp3 and Digiweb

• 26-07-2006 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

Anyone having problems using allofmp3.com on digiweb? It just times out when I go to the site and is no better using alltunes. Checked in work today and it was fine there, 180+kb/sec download. Only noticed it since the weekend.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It's been bad for at least a week. It's nothing to do with Digiweb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

ah okay, brought my laptop into work today anyway so I'll try it here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

Been havin problems with Alltunes this past couple of nights, I'm on NTL 2mb - songs started downloading and then stopped - won't start again at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I believe that allofmp3 might be on its way out.

Basically the US is threatening to block Russia's entry into the WTO if they do not do something about allofmp3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Anyone know what sort of money AllOfmp3 make in a single week?

That place is a goldmine due to the fact that whatever royalties are paid to the original artists are absolutely tiny!

IRMA view customers of allofmp3 as criminals....so beware!!!!

• Advertisement

yeah I know all that. It worked fine here in work, speeds or 100kb/sec but when I try at home it just times out or if I'm lucky downloads at about 1-2kb/sec....reminds me of days on dialup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

zuma wrote:
    IRMA view customers of allofmp3 as criminals....so beware!!!!

I'm fairly certain they are criminals. IIRC allofmp3 is still running because of some loophole in Russian copyright law. That loophole doesn't exist in Irish law to my knowledge.

I'm constantly amused at the fact that some people seem to think that something can't be illegal if you're paying for it!

Everyone knows its not legal here but imo its a lesser evil than bit torrent etc.. as you are not uploading music also.

mloc123 wrote:
    Everyone knows its not legal here but imo its a lesser evil than bit torrent etc.. as you are not uploading music also.

Ever hear of newsgroups?

You dont upload anything with those and get FAR more in return for your ~€10 a month subscription than Allofmp3.....or so Ive been told:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nazthing

easynews/giganews are good services for those folks that don't have their own nntp server. I like the text groups a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Douglas Preston

I think Digiweb are blocking all of allofmp3...i haven't been able to access the site since monday... i've checked with a few people who arne't on digiweb- they have no problems. I realise there are question marks over allofmp3 but, at this stage, that's all they are question marks. Yes, the music industry is grumbling about the site - but that's its job. if, as seems, likely that digiweb has taken it upon itself to block the site, it's a rather sinister development. they don't get to say what sites we can and cannot access...since when do ISP's get to pre-empt and second guess the courts and the lawmakers? I certaonly won't be renewing my subscription....

I think Digiweb are blocking all of allofmp3...i haven't been able to access the site since monday... i've checked with a few people who arne't on digiweb- they have no problems. I realise there are question marks over allofmp3 but, at this stage, that's all they are question marks. Yes, the music industry is grumbling about the site - but that's its job. if, as seems, likely that digiweb has taken it upon itself to block the site, it's a rather sinister development. they don't get to say what sites we can and cannot access...since when do ISP's get to pre-empt and second guess the courts and the lawmakers? I certaonly won't be renewing my subscription....

Where are the question marks???

The site, in the eyes of IRMA, is ILLEGAL and as such access to it might be restricted by Digiweb due to the possibility of future civil court action for damages.

As stated above get a subscription to easynews(legal....for some strange reason:p ) and go nuts.
    The search function:
    http://members.easynews.com/global/
    is piss easy to use and Im pretty confident that whatever, within reason, allofmp3 have...you should be able to find it on easynews also.
    Also 20GB for ~€8 is a LOT cheaper than allofmp3.

IRMA havent yet clamped down on newsgroups...and neither have the MPAA...etc so relax in ignorance for the time being.

I'm on eircom and it's not working either. On what ISP does it work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Blaster99 wrote:
    I'm on eircom and it's not working either. On what ISP does it work?

Was working fine on BT last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i'm on digiweb and it's workin for me, just slow as hell though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Digiweb does not block anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

That's good to know chaz, but something is up, because I have been unable to access their site for the past week. As regards the legality issue, well I have a big problem with the massive profits the recording industry have been making for decades, the gutting and exploitation of artists the whoring of artists through multible compilations to fatten the recording company's bank accounts, and the constant, constant ripping off of Joe Bloggs here. The tables have turned on them and they don't like losing their pound of flesh. They claim the reason allofmp3 and such like are bad is because artists are losing out, B*****t they don't give a crap about the artists and never have, their bottom line has always been PROFIT PROFIT PROFIT. the sooner the real, professional artists move away form this bloodthirsty industry the better for all of us. I would NEVER have a problem buying direct from the artists own site because of respect for the integrity of the artist. I have a major problem with the multitude of parasites surrounding most artists these days. Roll on allofmp3 et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I'm pretty sure this is a problem with allofmp3's site and nothing to do with any Irish ISP. There's no need to be so quick to start the "OMGZ THEIR CENSORING US!" crap. Especially sensationalist bullshít like this:
    realise there are question marks over allofmp3 but, at this stage, that's all they are question marks. Yes, the music industry is grumbling about the site - but that's its job. if, as seems, likely that digiweb has taken it upon itself to block the site, it's a rather sinister development. they don't get to say what sites we can and cannot access...since when do ISP's get to pre-empt and second guess the courts and the lawmakers? I certaonly won't be renewing my subscription....

Roll on allofmp3 et al.

If we ignore the complete bollocks of your argument for a moment, why pay Russians to steal the music? You may as well just steal it yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,146 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Blaster99 wrote:
    If we ignore the complete bollocks of your argument for a moment, why pay Russians to steal the music? You may as well just steal it yourself.

Try using the service and you'll see why it's worth paying 80c an album as opposed to the absolute rubbish that is person 2 person file sharing or torrents.

• Advertisement

Blaster99 wrote:

I agree with you on that one.

Regarding quality of P2P/Torrents/Newsgroups....take a look and join a couple of private sites like demonoid and you WILL be surprised :p .

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

Blaster99 wrote:

Yeah sure it's ok to pay €18 for an album released 25 years ago when it was originally retailing for a fiver, and the artist may be dead at this stage, many are, and yet the corporate moguls churn out special edition cds to suck up massive profits. I don't particularly want to pay 'russians' to steal the music. I want to be able to go to my local music store or go on line and get a fair deal.
    Sure you think it's ok to pay €18 or more for a Jimi Hendrix or Doors album
    thats just dandy, if they know we'll pay such crazy money for these products where does it end, take a look around boy, seems we've been butt fuc*ed once again.
    Lets just keep paying, and paying what ever they ask, they have the power after all. They know best. Smuck.

look..the issue here isn't whether allofmp3 is illegal or not; there's a case pending in the UK so far as I know and I think the US is putting the russian government to shut the site down...so this story is unfolding; anybody who says allofmp3 is against the law is expressing merely a private opinion... the point is whether digiweb et al should be taking it upon themselves to block access to the site without telling anyone... as i've siad... i seriously suspect something is up here...i've tried accessing the site from using three different computers...same story... people using BT broadband and smart, meanwhile, are not having any problems... if there is an innocent explanation i would truly be interested in hearing what it is... like i said, this really isn't a debate about mp3..it's about whether or not people are deciding what sites we can and cannot visit in the absence of a legal mandate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Try using the service and you'll see why it's worth paying 80c an album as opposed to the absolute rubbish that is person 2 person file sharing or torrents.
    you get shíte on p2p

i have not once in my life got a bad torrent. It rarely exists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

is that site crawling for everyone

it is mega slow atm for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

look..the issue here isn't whether allofmp3 is illegal or not; there's a case pending in the UK so far as I know and I think the US is putting the russian government to shut the site down...so this story is unfolding; anybody who says allofmp3 is against the law is expressing merely a private opinion... the point is whether digiweb et al should be taking it upon themselves to block access to the site without telling anyone... as i've siad... i seriously suspect something is up here...i've tried accessing the site from using three different computers...same story... people using BT broadband and smart, meanwhile, are not having any problems... if there is an innocent explanation i would truly be interested in hearing what it is... like i said, this really isn't a debate about mp3..it's about whether or not people are deciding what sites we can and cannot visit in the absence of a legal mandate...

I will say this again - Digiweb DOES NOT block anything. The site works from my Metro connection at home, although extremely slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I am not using ALLOFMP3, I get my music in Goldendisk on sales prices or from Play.com

However I tested it a little:

Eircom
    The site is slow or does open without graphic elements.
    AllTunes Software is very slow and downloading constantly breaks (max 2.1 kb/s)

Clear$hite
    AllTunes Software is not connecting to the server.

Now however I have a VPN connection that allows me to route my traffic via a US service provider (handy for banking over Wifi) and if I engage it both on Eircom and Clear$hite I get full connections with very good bandwith of 33.4 kb/s over the eircom & VPN connection. Unfortunatly Clear$hite constantly disconnects the VPN in the middle so no measurement there.

So in Summary: Irish ISP's as tested above do trottle trafffic! It's not the allofmp3 site because if I route via the US (via VPN) it works perfectly fine!

Eircom
    AllTunes Software is very slow and downloading constantly breaks (max 2.1 kb/s)

Thats what I am getting on digweb, worked fine on Smart. Gonna call them tomorrow and check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,146 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

you get shíte on p2p

i have not once in my life got a bad torrent. It rarely exists

Last time I downloaded an album from a torrent it was corrupted. I've only ever downloaded about 2 or 3 others but I think they were fine. My problem with torrents isn't usually the quality, it's the speed.

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote:
    Thats what I am getting on digweb, worked fine on Smart. Gonna call them tomorrow and check.

this is precisely what's been happening with me too...no visuals... and the download page keeps timing out... perhaps there's an innocent explanation but the fact allofmp3 works fine on bt broadband encourages the conspiracy theorist in me...

Advertisement