Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drought

Options
  • 27-07-2006 5:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭

July 27th
    It is now 18 days since measurable rainfall. I think Casement is on the same number.

This is close to my station record (since Nov 1999) of 20 days in Sept 2002, followed by 19 in Mar 2003.

There is a possibilty that I'll see no rain during next couple days, so another record could tumble.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

You are certainly in the dry zone at the moment, Mothman. Just for the 7 days of 19-25 July only Casement and Rosslare did not record rain. Even Dublin Airport and Kilkenny managed a small amount. On the other hand Valentia got 23.3mm, Knock 14.3mm, Belmullet 11.4mm, Claremorris 7.4mm and even in Cork we managed 3.7mm. Interesting differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Plenty of rain down here in Kerry today, it was absolutely lashing it down only half hour ago...

Absolutely nothing here also for 19 days.
    But that should resolve itself on saturday-mind you,theres a weeks rain needed to make up for the defecit.

Today here was another day of glorious blue skies.

There was a monsoon in south mayo/north Galway on tuesday alright around lake corrib when I was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Now 19 days, met office seem confident of rain in east later today, so a new record unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Recorded 16.8mm so far this month,which was the first week and 5.8mm fell in one sharp shower.

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote:
    Now 19 days, met office seem confident of rain in east later today, so a new record unlikely.
    Theres been a few drops here this morning but not enough to register on the rain guage and not enough to even wet the ground.

It looks wet for tomorrow but,I'm not confident yet that the rain forecast over the next week will even dent this drought in the East south of Dublin.

Shower visible to my south. Just 0.1mm in the manual will be enough to stop the record.

The AWS will only register after 0.25mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

It's cats and dogs right now in Blanch, Dublin 15. :( I'm not impressed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

we've had a few short bursts of rain but it drys in seconds and its still very warm, I think we'll see some proper rain tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

lashed here in finglas for about 10 mins. I knew it would i could smell it in the air and the cloud was there all morning waiting to let go!!

Was hoping for some lightning.... i want a STORM!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Pouring down in Glasnevin, and has been for about 20 minutes.

Have been heavy but brief showers, both 2 miles to west and 2 miles to north, stories of streams of water running down roads etc.

So far dry here, so 20 days starting to look more likely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the oul grass looks like as if its turning greener already

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Not a drop here in Bray

forecast from rte for next week looks quite rain soaked and bbc have predicted a wet august so i think were gonna pay for our hot sunny July.

Rain and starting to get heavy as well.

As the met observation day is 0900gmt to 0900gmt, this rainless spell lasted 19 days, so just a single day behind station record.

Taking midnight to midnight days, it lasted 20 days.

Advertisement