Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Grimes v Fleming - the case of the number plate rebel

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I have to say, I think it's entertaining. The garda must have a right pain in the a55 with it by now.

What it does highlight is that someone got a whole lot of hassle over a small infringement of a regulation. blocking his exit, told to produce the car, etc etc. Nonsense, in the grander scheme of things.

At the same time, Grimes was photographing the dude from the time he got off his "bicycle"! So he must've been expecting hassle, or been ready to give as good as he got.

This kind of pedantry is bad for Garda public image.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Did anyone notice that the characters on Garda Fleming's number plate look a bit small :) I think characters on number plates are supposed to be 70 mm high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

He would be a prime candiate for a Wunder order.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the font on his number plates is way off. Also you tend to have to pay extra for fancy lettering on number plates, this means that
    A) he has bought the car with the plates on and not done an NCT since

or

B) He put the plates on knowing full well that they were illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

BrianD3 wrote:
    Did anyone notice that the characters on Garda Fleming's number plate look a bit small :) I think characters on number plates are supposed to be 70 mm high.
    Any or all dimensions on a motorcycle plate can legally be reduced by up to 50%.

It is scary that people of this, erm, mindset can get a licence, never mind instruct.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

It would be interesting to get a couple of lessons from him to see what his take on the driving test is, if I had nothing better to do I'd go for the laugh.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Im looking at the car and the number plates. There are other more important issues like drink driving and speeding than picking on somebody over what looks like a legible number plate. He probably did pass the NCT but changed the plates back to the original ones before he brought the car in for the test and on passing it put back the latter plates on the car.

But what I also noticed is that in Mr Grimes court papers he states the car is an Opel Omega MV6 and what Ive see on the car has all Vauxhall nameplates and emblems. The only reference to Opel is the emblem on the steering wheel. Is it legal to change badges on your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

G Luxel wrote:
    But what I also noticed is that in Mr Grimes court papers he states the car is an Opel Omega MV6 and what Ive see on the car has all Vauxhall nameplates and emblems. The only reference to Opel is the emblem on the steering wheel. Is it legal to change badges on your car?

The car is obviously an imported Vauxhall Omega, but is being reffered to as an 'Opel Omega'.
    As regards the steering badge (How did you see that?) perhaps the airbag/steering was replaced at some point.

maidhc wrote:
    I was just talking to someone who knows (of) him pretty well.

An "interesting" character by all accounts. He knows the law better than most solicitors, and even has some form of dodgy legal qualification. He normally represents himself in court, and has been doing so for 30 years or more at this stage!

Apparently one of his business ventures involved go to the motor tax office and queuing for a fee back in the days before the internet. :)

This man is very well known. He holds a Doctorate, although what in , i dont know. He is not liked by Irish Rail as he is constantly complaining about the level of service that is being given to customers. At one stage he was banned from using their trains. I would agree with some points he has made.

The car isnt an imported Vauxhall. Its an Opel, bought new. i remember when the car was first driving around the city in 99. I was trying to figure out how a new vauxhall could be sold here? Then I noticed the interior of the car had Opel badging. MV6 was the top of the range Omega at the time and there was no Vauxhall MV6. As regards one of his businesses getting motor tax discs for customers, yes that did happen, but it was 5 pounds extra onto what tax you were paying for. His employees went to the office and had 4 tax forms per person at a time. The service was very handy for people who would have to stand in a queue for hours or who couldnt attend the motor tax office due to work commitments. Unfortunately the service he was offering is no longer available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I remember reading a court case with a Dr. Michael Grimes (Re CB Readymix, Cahill v. Grimes. He was disqualified from acting in an official capacity in a company for 7 years after going to war with the revenue. He said interesting things like the books of account "might have an accident", "I was determined to screw the revenue no matter what it took", and "I was prepared to blow up anyone that got in my way".

Same person I suspect! :)
    G Luxel wrote:
    This man is very well known. He holds a Doctorate, although what in , i dont know. He is not liked by Irish Rail as he is constantly complaining about the level of service that is being given to customers. At one stage he was banned from using their trains. I would agree with some points he has made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If this is the same Dr. Grimes he is not only banned from the trains but also from all I.E. property. He has made some very valid points about the state of Kent Station in Cork, particulary the condition of the roof.

I agree - they should make stricter rules. Most countries require a specific typeface - look at most other EU plates and you'll notice this - even places like Poland and Latvia seem to have very standardised plates.

Plates in most EU countries (and worldwide) are issued by a government department and that is why they conform to a certain standard.

In Ireland, the only plates issued by the govt are Trade Plates - which always conform to the required standards re spacing, digit size, etc.

G Luxel wrote:
    The car isnt an imported Vauxhall. Its an Opel, bought new. i remember when the car was first driving around the city in 99. I was trying to figure out how a new vauxhall could be sold here? Then I noticed the interior of the car had Opel badging. MV6 was the top of the range Omega at the time and there was no Vauxhall MV6.

Why has it got Vauxhall badging/grille?

The MV6 was also sold new in 1999 by Vauxhall - see : www.advantagewebservices.co.uk/carshowroom/omega.htm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement