Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cyclists

Options
  • 27-07-2006 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭

Before I go all ranty on this, I'd just like to point out that I think cycling is a good way to move around the place, and I commend the people that do it. However,one thing has been standing out in my eyes over the past few months, and it really is wrecking my head.

The roads I use to go home from work are (after the Motorway parts) the average crappy back roads found all over Ireland. In fact, they are in County Meath, so they're probably a little bit crappier than most. Many cyclists in my part of the country, (these are the cyclists with all the racing gear, sports goggles, funny shpaed helmets etc, NOT just regular people going from A to B) seem to think they have this God given right to the road that no-one can question and its wrecking my head.
    5 times in the past week I have come across these people cycling, not at race speeds, but just at a nice pace, three or four abreast on country roads. WTF?? Just last night, I came around a blind bend to find three of them cycling along, not a care in the world having a grand old chat while taking up the entire left hand side of the road. I have no objection to cyclists (why would I??) and I always stay within the limit which is the reason I was able to slow down in plenty of time, but I really think this is unfair. In the event of a race, I always maintain a slow speed and a safe distance, but I teally think this is p*ss taking. If you want to have chat with your mates, then go to the fooking pub or a coffee shop like everyone else.
    I think that this type of behaviour is yet another sign of the complete lack of respect people have for each other on our roads. Just because I drive doesnt make me evil, remember, we SHARE the roads. These people wont even form a single line to allow traffic by when there is a queue of cars behind them.

Grrr.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Dont get me started , I drive for a living ..Oops about to go off on one !!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Archeron wrote:
    I came around a blind bend to find three of them cycling along, not a care in the world having a grand old chat while taking up the entire left hand side of the road.

Two abreast is allowed I believe, where conditions allow.

When I used to cycle (more than I do now :( ) we'd be two wide in the bus lanes and if someone wanted to get by we'd go single file, and generally move to the right into the normal driving lane (because it would be moving at 0 kmph anyway).

I think this is a fair comprimise.

When we went out in groups, it was always 2 wide and then there were shouts from the front "car down" and from the back "car up" and everyone generally made way for the car.

Psychologically, a car driver will overtake an obstacle generally 2x the distance that object is from the edge of the road.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

its a good job this is in the motors section as there are a lot more grips for cyclists to have over motorists so the cycling forums this would be a bomb!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

iregk wrote:
    its a good job this is in the motors section as there are a lot more grips for cyclists to have over motorists so the cycling forums this would be a bomb!

Thats true, but we all know that none of us are perfect. I just sometimes feel that some cyclists are on such a high horse, and its really irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

I have not cycled in years but am looking into getting a bike shortly. A friend who is a keen cyclist and is looking out for a bike gave me this advice based on his experience:

Make sure and use plenty of the road. Don't try to stay right on the kerb because you will get motorists trying to overtake you when there is oncoming traffic with insufficient clearance and they'll cause you to crash. At least if you cycle a bit wider on the road, following traffic will have to wait for a gap in the oncoming traffic and will be able to overtake you without getting too close

Like I say, I haven't started cycling yet but this advice does make a little sense to me.. Only time will tell...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As a motorist, I have to say that I prefer cyclists driving next to each other (on country roads without a hard shoulder)

Why?

Because it takes much longer to overtake a single file of cyclists and you might be tempted to do so when it is not safe.

Whith cyclists next to each other you have no choice but to wait until the road is absolutely clear plus you get past much quicker.

So much safer for all involved

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Cyclists choose country roads for a reason, they don't want to be mixed up with traffic in the first place.
    Cyclists also cycle two abreast for a reason, they don't want to encourage drivers to overtake when it's not safe, by closing off the door to drivers they are making it safer.
    Small groups of two or three riders will switch to single file if the driver has been there for a long time, or the road ahead becomes visible, or the road surface improves, or there are a number of cars.
    Large groups will not switch to single file, because by the time it takes for some drivers to overtake a long line the conditions may have changed for the worse.
    If cyclists switch from double to single file, thats an invitation to pass, so put your foot down!
    There's nothing worse than oul biddy's overtaking a group of cyclists at 2 miles an hour more than them.
    It might look like a group of three riders is three abreast, but more than likely they are two abreast with the third rider behind and to the middle of the first two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Yeah theres a lot more cyclists out during the day now, especially out around Meath. =] But everywhere you go you come across them.

They don't bother me, what does bother me is the fact that nobody seems to be able to overtake them. I drove from Liexlip to Blacherstown a couple of days ago behind a small Skoda that sat behind a cyclist.

At points the road was wide enough for the car to get by had she simply pushed out to but not over the center line, in places the traffic was light enough to over take as if the cyclist was a car. Twice there was an opportunity for me to over take both the car and the cyclist, but I wouldn't because I thought she would go and I could follow, but she didn't and I didn't want to rush the manouver as the gap closed.

That's been a regular occurance since the cyclists reappeared. Worse again are the people who over take the cyclists way to close.

Nearly saw a guy get wasted out in Malahide too... he's just an unlucky guy, I've seen him a couple of times while I was doing the Dart station run. Last Monday the car in front of me overtook him and turned left, nearly squishing him. Then at the same place yesterday I caught up to him, travelled behind him for twenty meters before my left turn when a car turned across the pair of us nearly squishing him again. Mad.

As regards bad behaviour from cyclists, I've yet to see any yet aprt from the running of red light business but in the situation I saw it it was probaly best practise.

As regards bad behaviour from cyclists, I've yet to see any yet aprt from the running of red light business but in the situation I saw it it was probaly best practise.
    Yes, the worst cyclists are in the cities, the ones on the country roads seem to have more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

Thanks for the replies all, I'm learning things about cycling from this I didnt know, such as the reason they cycle two abreast.

Wow, a productive rant!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Funnily enough I came across two cyclists line abreast formation last night on the way home on a blind bend. I was initially a bit pissed off they were taking up so much room but once I had passed them and watched others passing them in the mirror it made sense as you swing way out and give them a wide berth instead of cutting it tight which you may do with one cyclist.

According to the sounds of air horns behind me a lorry didnt share my view.

Cyclists choose country roads for a reason, they don't want to be mixed up with traffic in the first place.
    Cyclists also cycle two abreast for a reason, they don't want to encourage drivers to overtake when it's not safe, by closing off the door to drivers they are making it safer.
    Small groups of two or three riders will switch to single file if the driver has been there for a long time, or the road ahead becomes visible, or the road surface improves, or there are a number of cars.
    Large groups will not switch to single file, because by the time it takes for some drivers to overtake a long line the conditions may have changed for the worse.
    If cyclists switch from double to single file, thats an invitation to pass, so put your foot down!
    There's nothing worse than oul biddy's overtaking a group of cyclists at 2 miles an hour more than them.
    It might look like a group of three riders is three abreast, but more than likely they are two abreast with the third rider behind and to the middle of the first two.
    So now cyclists are ruling the road .. GREAT thats all we need .

Pay your taxes and get a car ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

sharkman wrote:
    Pay your taxes and get a car ;):D

I would say that a large percentage of cyclists also own powered vehicles and as a result pay MOTOR tax.

L.

So now cyclists are ruling the road .. GREAT thats all we need

check the rules of the road, it's has always been that way. :D

check the rules of the road, it's has always been that way. :D

I know ..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I find drivers much worse than cyclists when it comes to safety on the road. I used to work as a cycle courier in Dublin, trucks, taxis and men over 50 are by far the worst. The thing that gets me is when cyclists use the road when there is a cycle path beside them! The coast road along Clontarf is a typical example, usually the tight shorts hat wearing brigade that I love passing out and watching them not keep up with me when I was a fit cycle courier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

You're supposed to leave as much room when passing a cyclist as when passing a car. On roads where you notice that you have to pass them, i.e. no hard shoulder, they're right to take control of thier position on the road. What does annoy me though is when you're clearly indicating that you're turning left and about to turn, you'll get cyclists tearing up on your left hand side. For this reason, even if there is a cycle lane, I will move over into it for the last 30m or so before turning left, taking control of my position on the road when I'm in front, like they should when they're in front.

The coast road along Clontarf is a typical example
    Couldn't agree more, while most of the cycle paths in the country are glorified foothpaths, that particular path is of a very high standard. Blow 'em off the road next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Cyclists have a much right to use the road as anyone else. When I was younger and used to cycle to the village etc.. at home I was always told to hold my position on the road, if somebody wanted to pass me it was up to them to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

lightening wrote:
    I find drivers much worse than cyclists when it comes to safety on the road.

I think this is because cyclists need to be far sharper than motorists on the roads to stay alive! I both cycle and drive, never been in a collision while driving a car, but twice in the space of 2 years I've had contact with cars.

The first time, a car cut across me when he saw a parking space at the last minute and I hit his left rear wing, thankfully not knocking me off. And HE had the nerve to get out of the car and check his paintwork for damage!

The second time, I hand signalled that I intended to turn right, the driver behind me either didn't see me or ignored me, and started to overtake as I was turning. I got the shock of my life and hit the side of the car.

Not saying that cyclists aren't sometimes irresponsible, I see plenty of idiots cycling in the dark with no lights etc. But cycling is an even greater struggle for survival than driving IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement