Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

licence plates

Options
  • 27-07-2006 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

is it possible to book a licence plate ?

is there one place that looks after it or is it organised on a by county basis ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It is, but it costs. Contact your local motor tax office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Presuming you're buying a new car, your dealer can sort it for you and it costs about €300 extra iirc

We were offered them when we got the A3 last year.

Each to their own, but I've seen some silly ones, like a Porsche Boxter (spl?) with a plate ending 911 or a poverty spec 3 series with a plate ending 007, a space before the first zero for emphasis. I guess that's why they're known as "Vanity Plates".

That said, I'm tickled everytime I see an Impreza with 555 on the plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

no what I wanted to do was book a 2007 plate .. not use it for a few years .. And eventually put it on a 2007 car in 2009/10

is that possible?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

zod wrote:
    no what I wanted to do was book a 2007 plate .. not use it for a few years .. And eventually put it on a 2007 car in 2009/10

is that possible?

No.

No.

thats sh1t

• Advertisement

For anyone interested (taken from Revenue.ie):

VRT5 - How to Reserve a Registration Number

Registration numbers are assigned in sequence at the time of registration. However, the Finance Act,1992, provides a facility for vehicle owners to choose and reserve a particular registration number in advance of registration. This leaflet contains a general outline of the relevant conditions and procedures involved in reserving a chosen number.
    Conditions
    • An application may only be made on or after 1st November in the year before it is intended to first bring the vehicle into use.
    • The number chosen must be one in the normal format and must corredpond with the place (licensing authority area) where the applicant normally resides and the year in which the vehicle is to be brought into use, e.g. 04-D-2 may only be reserved by an applicant living in Dublin intended to be first brought into use in the year 2004.
    • The registered owner must be the person in whose name the number was reserved. Reserved numbers are not transferable.
    • All registration numbers are available for reservation with the exception of the first number of each year issued in Cork, Dublin, Limerick and Waterford e.g. 04-C-1,04-D-1,04-L-1,and 04-W-1, which are traditionally reserved for the Mayor/Lord Mayor of those cities and are not available for reservation by anyone else.
    • A reserved registration number can only be assigned to a vehicle when it has been reached in the normal sequence. It may not be displayed on a vehicle before it has been formally assigned by Revenue following the presentation and acceptance of a completed declaration for registration.
    Application Fee
    The fee payable for a reserved number is €315.
    Application Procedures
    Applications should be made on Form VRT15A (Click here to download) - one form per registration number- and sent to the Central Vehicle Office( See address below) . The fee should be enclosed with the application. Cheques etc. should be made payable to the "Collector, Customs & Excise". Application Forms are available at any Revenue Vehicle Registration Office (VRO)(Click here to find a list of Revenue VRO's) and from the Central Vehicle Office.
    • Processing of applications will commence on receipt of first post on the fourth working day of November. This is to allow time for postal applications to be received.
    • No priority will be given to applications received before then.
    • An available number may be provisionally reserved by sending a completed application form by fax(see fax number below) to the Central Vehicle Office once the initial selection process above has been completed on the fourth working day of November. Provisional reservations will be conditional on a fee being received within three working days. If not received within this time the number will again be made available for reservation.
    • Successful applicants will be advised by post(fax if requested) on Form VRT15N. This form must be presented when the vehicle is being registered.
    • Unsuccessful applicants will be notified by the Central Vehicle Office and the fee refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

zod wrote:
    thats sh1t

Perhaps you don't understand the principle behind our registration system. The first two digits denote the year of first registration.

Anan1 wrote:
    Perhaps you don't understand the principle behind our registration system. The first two digits denote the year of first registration.

Yes I do.

I want to import a 2 year old car in 2009.. a car first registered in 2007.

I would like to hold a plate for that car -whats the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The reservations may expire at the end of the year. Sounds plausible though. You should probably ask the VRO yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

zod wrote:
    Yes I do.

I want to import a 2 year old car in 2009.. a car first registered in 2007.

I would like to hold a plate for that car -whats the problem?

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you wanted to put the 07 plate on a new car in 2009. In answer to your question, I'm afraid I don't know.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

no, you cant, when you go to the VRT office with an imported car you get the next available number.

done this twice in a year, hard luck

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I want to be able to transfer plates from car to car like in the uk. I have 97 D 97 on my safrane and would like to keep it on my next car. The 97 d part will be a stumbling block on an 07 car tho :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

zod wrote:

is that possible?

why would you want to do that:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You can't take a number from one car and put it on another.

drdre wrote:
    why would you want to do that:rolleyes:

why would you want to do what ?

reserve a number ..same reason why anybody wants to reserve a number, because it has a special meaning for them or for everyone .. where do you think the term 'personalised plates' comes from ?

heres a uk website where the English spend millions doing the same
    You can't take a number from one car and put it on another.

when you import a car you change the plates .. I would like to reserve a plate .... and in this case put it on a car in a few years time .. what part of that are you finding hard to understand ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Personalized plates are big business in the UK, U.S, OZ, NZ, etc etc

The (originally Co Kilkenny) reg 'VIP 1' recently sold for a few million in the UK!

The govt here should introduce 'County Plates', i.e. you could reserve any number combined with your county letter(s) (For a fee of course!)

For example -

If you live in Dublin you could reserve -

555 D,
    D 555,
    D 123,
    123 D,
    911 D,

etc etc etc

i.e. no year on plate.

Silvera wrote:
    Personalized plates are big business in the UK, U.S, OZ, NZ, etc etc

The (originally Co Kilkenny) reg 'VIP 1' recently sold for a few million in the UK!

The govt here should introduce 'County Plates', i.e. you could reserve any number combined with your county letter(s) (For a fee of course!)

For example -

If you live in Dublin you could reserve -

555 D,
    D 555,
    D 123,
    123 D,
    911 D,

etc etc etc

i.e. no year on plate.

how can you reserve these numbers as plates here start with year and then city then a number eg 06 D 430.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@zod, you just loiter in and around the country's busiest dealer for the make you're interested in this November / December. When you spot someone closing a deal on the model you're interested in, approach them and offer to:

1. Pay them the €315 if they can get the '07 reg you want
    2. Give them €1k over whatever the going rate is in two years time

Now they mightn't be interested in selling the car again in two years time of course

A bit far-fetched, but doable if you are determined. What plate is it BTW? Or are you afraid someone here will reserve it and sell it to you for €10k for? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

If you own a Citroen CI, then you cant have a matching number such as C I because it is reserved for the Lord Mayor of Cork.......

Ive noticed some japanese and european 2nd hand imports with 2 and 3 digit numbers and I thought that they had to have a follow on number from the last car registered in December. Some of these cars are 8 or 9 years old and
    give the impression that they have been sold here new......

I3 is a number I dont see that much of. And Ive often wondered how there were no cars registered between II000 and I2000 in county cork in I992?

drdre wrote:
    how can you reserve these numbers as plates here start with year and then city then a number eg 06 D 430.

I said "the govt here should introduce 'County Plates'..

You could purchase such a plate to put on your car, and then transfer it to your next car (i.e. as an option instead of current style plates).

• Advertisement

G Luxel wrote:
    If you own a Citroen CI, then you cant have a matching number such as C I because it is reserved for the Lord Mayor of Cork.......

Ive noticed some japanese and european 2nd hand imports with 2 and 3 digit numbers and I thought that they had to have a follow on number from the last car registered in December. Some of these cars are 8 or 9 years old and
    give the impression that they have been sold here new......

I3 is a number I dont see that much of. And Ive often wondered how there were no cars registered between II000 and I2000 in county cork in I992?

I know of a guy who recently registered a 00 BMW 5 Series and recieved a 3-digit number for it, i.e.00-XX-5XX.

Apparently, some reserved numbers are not used up and remain available for future use/issue.

Silvera wrote:
    I know of a guy who recently registered a 00 BMW 5 Series and recieved a 3-digit number for it, i.e.00-XX-5XX.

Apparently, some reserved numbers are not used up and remain available for future use/issue.
    yes now i know what you mean.i meant the whole plate was 530 or something like that.i knew someone with 05 D89 plate, some plates are really hard to get like 07 d 7 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

666 plates have to be reserved also. They don't get issued in the normal course of business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I guess that's why they're known as "Vanity Plates".

Cherished plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would love a 666 plate purely for devilment! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dubambman

Is it possible to change the county of regstration, i have a monaghan registered car and would like to change it to dublin if it wasnt too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dubambman wrote:
    Is it possible to change the county of regstration, i have a monaghan registered car and would like to change it to dublin if it wasnt too expensive.

No

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bond-007 wrote:
    I would love a 666 plate purely for devilment! :D

Two of my neighbours, who are quite near each other, had '666' plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I suppose you could reserve the plate this november - not use it and registe your 07 import in 09 requesting this plate.

The guy with the "County plates" we have them, they include a year, otherwise the whole system would fall apart.:D

BMW has been campaigning to get rid of the Irish system. It must have been a blow when the English copped on we were on to a good simple thing

• Advertisement
Advertisement