Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lowering a concrete floor?

Options
  • 27-07-2006 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

I need to lower an inplace concrete floor bt 1 - 3 cms. What is the best method? Are floor grinders available?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Pneumatic Scabbler is the best way, but it will take a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

CJhaughey wrote:
    Pneumatic Scabbler is the best way, but it will take a long time.
    If you gives us more details on the reasons for the job there might be an easier way aroung the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭anon1

I have a hall way that has 4 inches of concrete over ufh pipes. I need to take 1 inch off parts of it as it was put in too deep and now I can't get enough depth for a floor covering .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭anon1

Where can I get a Pneumatic Scabbler?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If I was you , I would put a paint effect on the floor maybe with an acid wash and stain, the effects you can get are incredible.
    I would not go down the route of trying to grind away an inch of concrete especially with UFH heating pipes.
    The mess that concrete grinding/scabbling etc makes is just incredible.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/rm_paint_floor_ceiling/article/0,,HGTV_3763_1379509,00.html

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/interiorfloors/
    Check these two links and you will be amazed at the look of painted concrete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

i can vouch for that - i tried taking 1 inch off a concrete floor (just 2 m2) - at it for about 3 hours with a concrete planer but got absolutely no where and the mess was incredible.

if you want to try the floor scrabblers hss hire and www.hire2k.ie have them - damn expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

If the grinding is so messy /expensive, what about kangoing the lot, replacing the ufh and filling in again properly?

I've never done this, so just a wild suggestion...

Advertisement